“Skip this museum”

San Jose Museum of Art
Ranked #16 of 136 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: One of San Jose's most historic buildings, this former post office is now home to a permanent collection, and it features rotating exhibits as well.
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Very friendly staff. Small collections, and not great value for the admission price. Not a great selection of exhibits. Clean facility, however. Good accessibility for handicap accommodations.

There are newer reviews for San Jose Museum of Art

Reviewed January 23, 2012

This museum will delight you! There are numerous excellent exhibits throughout the year with lots of space in which to roam. The docents are helpful or one can go it alone and use written guides for information.
The Cafe is in the original museum which I've been told was a post office before that! The food has been consistently fair.
I love the museum gift shop which has a variety of artistic items to purchase and an interesting variety of choices within each category.
The location is excellent with many kinds of restaurants nearby. The Lite Rail, Theatres, Movies, Bars. etc., are all within walking distance of the museum. Invest a day visiting this San Jose Treasure. Better yet, become a member! No fee if you are a member and certain memberships (not expensive) allow a member to bring a guest for free.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

If you can't get to the city to see the art shows there, this is next to the best thing if you are living in the south bay area.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

Here over the holidays and used a reciprocating pass to see the museum. Very impressive with great exhibits. The main floor exhibit was wonderful showcasing one artists. Upstairs were 3 more rooms with and interesting assortment of exhibits.

We enjoyed walking through this open airy museum, and will check it out the next time we visit San Jose.

Reviewed October 1, 2011

I went on a weekday afternoon in September and there were only a handful of people which was so nice and peaceful. They do not take any discounts so the price is a bit high for the few exhibits. There are 2 public free tours of the exhibits included with your ticket which I found about way after the fact - something the front desk girl neglected to tell me. Apparantly they are put on by volunteers - would have enjoyed that. Another thing the front desk girl didn't tell me was that on the second floor are sachels containing art supplies, and also available are carrying stools and clipboards. I saw them and had to go back downstairs to ask about them. They are for adults or children. I recommend grabbing them after you go thru the exhibits, locate your favorite piece, sit and sketch. That was such fun! Wish all art museums had this option.
The exhibit on the first floor was closed as they prepared for an opening. So the only galleries available at the time of my visit were on the second floor and the children's room in the basement. So make sure you check online before you go to see what is currently open.
Even tho there was a limited number to see, I really enjoyed what was on display. My favorite was the exhibit called 'So, Who do you think you are?" Favorite art piece was a video of the sub-basement of one of the World Trade Towers a few days before 9/11. The piece clicked thru photos of machinery, parking spaces, grittiness while a video game like character walked thruout.
The other exhibit which was thought provoking was Ordinary Folks by Bill Owens. Photos were taken during the 70's of how people worked, and what their houses and communities looked like. Black and white detailed momentoes of that era. Loved the photos that were accompanied by explanations next to them from the people who were in the photographs.
"Book-ish" exhibit did not have as many art pieces but I did love in the rear of the room the paper bags with faces and histories of immigrants telling their personal stories - such a clever idea.
The fourth exhibit called Beta Space was basically a few pieces with computer or tech equipment to represent Silicone Valley. I can understand its appropriateness to the area; however, I didn't really get anything out of any of the art pieces. Just my opinion. That's what is great about art - we all feel from different things.
The Children's Exhibit is very small with few art pieces. But it does have a few interactives to help them learn about the color wheel and spacing, etc.
I ended my visit by checking out the gift shop which had a good variety and selection of books, jewelry, cards and home decor. All in all, I am glad that I checked this place out.

1  Thank joyceTL4