“Convenient to SAP, good price, and amusingly outdated”
Review of Arena Hotel

Arena Hotel
Ranked #34 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Madison, Wisconsin
“Convenient to SAP, good price, and amusingly outdated”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed at this hotel because it was very close to the SAP Center at which we were attending a concert and had reasonable rates and reviews.

The hotel truly is about a 3-5 minute walk from the SAP, so it could not be more convenient, although it appears that most of the restaurants are on the other side of the SAP -- about a 8 minute walk. The hotel includes free parking. The minute you walk in it's as if you've stepped into a Tardis and come out in 1987 or so, which is, I'm fairly certain the last time the hotel was updated. The entire hotel is rigged out in 1980s cabbage roses, mauve and brass.

Our room had two double beds, a small table with two chairs, a kitchenette with stove/micro/refrigerator, and a tv. The sink area was outside the bathroom which is not my personal favorite configuration as if you get up in the night for a drink, you can't turn the lights on and oddly, the spray from the spigot was so strong in the Styrofoam cup that it woke up my companions. The huge mirror has brass Hollywood lights on either side of it -- so PLENTY of light. The bathroom is a blast from the past with a two person Jacuzzi tub/shower. The toilet had a paper ring on it that told me it had been Sanitized for my protection.

The included breakfast had scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, coffee and juices. Plenty of breakfast seating.

Although we heard the planes overhead, it is not particularly close to the airport -- it is a little drive to get there. It is easy walking distance to the train station.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Millie6119

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Poway, California
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Don't expect a Marriott, but they do top sheet the bed. That's my measure of an OK place. It's not a new hotel, the room was clean as was the lobby and there is free parking. I've stayed in the heart of San Jose and the glide path for SJC is right over the center. This place is half mile away and you don't hear a thing. Breakfast was full, but only OK.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank twatripp
Dana Point, California
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I'm a heavy business travel and usually stay in moderate-to-nice hotels. But on this trip to pick-up my son from San Jose State, I opted for a budget experience. I got mostly what I expected. But the room was not as clean or maintained as I would have liked. During my stay, I thought the service staff was OK overall. But when I called four days later to tell them I had left a jacket in my hotel room, I had a different experience. I called the front desk and left a message for housekeeping. Not only did I not get a return call, when I called a second time, I got a curt "We didn't find anything in the room. A lot of people 'claim' they left things in their rooms." from the person at the front desk. So this tells me that you can't trust their housekeepers and that the service is, at best, suspect. I would only recommend this to people on a very strict budget who don't care about rude service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Steven S

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Finchampstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2014

You get what you pay for - I needed a cheap hotel close to the conference center and downtown - The Arena Hotel is showing its age, with fire alarms going off at 5 am (someone decided to cook in their room) Overall the five days I stayed I had a good time there, very friendly staff, the breakfast is small and basic but to be honest in a country where you have a mountain of food to eat at every meal you don't need huge portions first thing in the morning.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank nickgiles
San Jose, California
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I find this hotel nice for late night partying. Close to downtown, rates or not what you get. If you don't want to drive home. I feel that the Jacuzzi need some updating. The channels on TV would only go one way. Refurbish is the word for these owners and up keep.

Room Tip: Higher rooms it does not matter.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jaybird265
Vernon, B.C.
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I waited too long to book my hotel in downtown San Jose. It was my first time here so I didn't realize there aren't that many hotels in d/t San Jose. Anyway, I ended up at the Arena Hotel. The location is quite good and it is in a decent part of town. But the hotel itself is circa 1974. I will give it credit, the rooms were updated and the bathroom was clean. However, it leaves quite a bit to be desired if you normally stay at Sheraton's or Hilton's

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business