“Very good San Jose hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arena Hotel

Arena Hotel
Ranked #35 of 76 Hotels in San Jose

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Finchampstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

You get what you pay for - I needed a cheap hotel close to the conference center and downtown - The Arena Hotel is showing its age, with fire alarms going off at 5 am (someone decided to cook in their room) Overall the five days I stayed I had a good time there, very friendly staff, the breakfast is small and basic but to be honest in a country where you have a mountain of food to eat at every meal you don't need huge portions first thing in the morning.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank nickgiles
San Jose, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

I find this hotel nice for late night partying. Close to downtown, rates or not what you get. If you don't want to drive home. I feel that the Jacuzzi need some updating. The channels on TV would only go one way. Refurbish is the word for these owners and up keep.

Room Tip: Higher rooms it does not matter.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jaybird265

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Vernon, B.C.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

I waited too long to book my hotel in downtown San Jose. It was my first time here so I didn't realize there aren't that many hotels in d/t San Jose. Anyway, I ended up at the Arena Hotel. The location is quite good and it is in a decent part of town. But the hotel itself is circa 1974. I will give it credit, the rooms were updated and the bathroom was clean. However, it leaves quite a bit to be desired if you normally stay at Sheraton's or Hilton's

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Silverwoods
Yuba City, Ca
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Wife and I attended and event at the SAP Center and in the past we have stayed at the Arena Hotel. In the past I have written and recommended this hotel but after our last visit I would have to seriously think twice before recommending it in the future. I can only rate it maybe low average at best. First of all at check in I did not appreciate them making a photo copy of my credit card along with my driver license. And when I questioned them they advised it was their policy so they could add any additional charges if necessary. Still did not set well with me. Then we checked out our room #104 and when we entered our room we saw a fan blowing into the bathroom. Then a short time later a maid came up and asked to get the fan and wanted to spray some odor eliminator in the bathroom. Then as we checked the bathroom we saw there was no door where commode and tub is located. Now there is a door to shut the wash sink from view which one has to walk by to get into the other room where the tub and commode is located. The tub is a jacuzzi tub and this tub had one of the control knobs missing. The wash sink is all gray and cracked by the drain and is in desperate need of replacement. When I took my shower I found out there was only one wash cloth for both my wife and I which she used prior to myself. Now it only stands to reason that there would be at least 2 wash cloths supplied for the bath or shower. Then in the kitchen area under the stove top is a fridge, however it was not working and they had put a small portable one with a small microwave on top just next to the table and chairs.

I also saw they provide is no listing of any of the TV channels available. They supply the room with a HBO guide but you have to go through all the channels to find the HBO channel. It would be nice if they supplied each room with a listing of the channels available.

I would have to say this hotel is in great location for the SAP center and has the potential to be a great hotel, but it is in need of some serious upgrades and maintenance, new furniture. Our overall view was not great on this stay.

The only positive I can say was the free breakfast that is available to the guests.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KeithYubaCity_Ca
Morro Bay, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

Recent two day stay with below average breakfast (included). CVS drugs next door. Downtown and arena within walking distance (2-4) blocks. Mexican, Japanese; Italian restaurants within 4 blocks to the north; restaurant row 3-4 blocks south(San Pedro Square).
No parking fees. Rooms a bit run down, cheap furniture, old tvs. Reduce internet rate if they'll match? Arena events can be disturbing, especially sports.
Soooo, convenient location, but frayed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Newport, Rhode Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

Disappointing, dingy and not for children. Drunken, profane fights by arena goers outside window all night. Mildew in bathrooms (though they leave Tilex in there for you to spray). Uncomfortable pillows )(rock hard, and they couldn't find any other kind) and beds. All rooms smell of smoke despite that they are "non-smoking." All rooms have jacuzzi tubs and hand-held showers, so not really meant for families (I had a young daughter with me), though never saw anything that suggested as much in information about hotel. Wireless down for half a day. As clean as staff could get it, and they try to accomodate, but they don't have much to work with. The free breakfast was decent. We did not sleep for the four days we were there, but had a non-refundable deal (nor did they offer to refund).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family