All reviews jacuzzi tub whole foods sap arena paper plates walking distance train station hockey game room was large bit dated an older hotel free breakfast is hotel room event microwave wholefoods concert convenience
Reviewed April 25, 2013

If you travel to the Silicon Valley, you know that business hotels can be very expensive - and without many frills. I booked a room at the Arena Hotel for a recent one-night stay in the Valley - and I found the hotel to be a pleasant surprise.

My flight arrived very late at night - and I was glad to have booked a hotel that was just 5 minutes from San Jose Airport. There was plenty of free parking available when I arrived at the hotel, and the person at the reception desk was courteous and efficient. Within 2 minutes of arriving, I was checked in and headed to my room.

The decor at the hotel is definitely dated - but it's not shabby or run down. It's just dated.

Upon entering the room, the first thing that I noticed was that the room was larger than standard business hotel rooms - which are typically very efficient, but pretty small. The Arena Hotel room was not huge, but I could tell that it had a couple of extra feet in width and length. The room was very clean, and it included a coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator. The room also had a large jacuzzi tub - and while you may be thinking "that's gross" - it was actually very modern and clean.

The internet at the hotel was very fast and easy to access. The free breakfast at the hotel was served in a very large dining room. The food was a nice assortment that included eggs, sausage, potatoes, pancakes, french toast, yogurt, cereal, milk, juice and coffee. Everything that I tried tasted good.

Whenever possible, I like to go running when I travel. The Arena Hotel - while on a busy street - is located just 2 blocks from the Guadalupe River Trail that is a protected (no cars!) running/biking path that extends for MILES through trees and grassy areas along the Guadalupe River. I really enjoyed a surprisingly serene run on the trail in the morning despite being in the middle of the Silicon Valley.

In summary, while not "contemporary" or "chic" - the Arena Hotel is a rock solid deal for business travelers in the Valley. If you are a runner - it's a no brainer.

Room tip: The hotel is only two stories - so I don't think any of the rooms have views. My room was just fine - and it seemed to be a standard room within the hotel.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank MarkSandieg0
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Went to an event at the HP Pavilion and this was a quick 5 minute walk which was my main reason for choosing it. Many other reviews were dead on... very clean but outdated decor for example pink tile! Staff wasn't entirely friendly and the a/c was way too loud and obnoxious. But if you are interested in location and price and cleanliness this is the place to stay! There is a cute little courtyard to sit and have breakfast and although we were generally in a hurry in the morning and didn't have time for the complimentary breakfast, it made the lobby smell fantastic!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Walking distance to HP pavilion. Can't beat the location. Staff is friendly. Rooms are dated but clean. We skip the fee breakfast as there are nicer places to eat within walking distance. Overall quiet night sleep and great for families just in town for a quick event.

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has great value for what you pay, when you factor in the free parking, free breakfast and location it's really a good deal. Rooms were ok, definitely adequate, especially for only a couple of nights.

1  Thank leticiateliz
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The Arena Hotel is well located for any number of activities in downtown San Jose. It's relatively easy to get to also with attractive rates. I loved the idea of a 2 person Jacuzzi too in my room. But my room was not at all clean, and the carpet was badly stained and very loose. There was a peeling ceiling that had obviously leaked. But the bed was quite possibly the worst I've ever tried to sleep in! Way too soft and sagging with pillows that were so hard they made my neck hurt. The sink was chipped and stained. If you can get past all of that, yes, there was a so so breakfast, but this morning they were out of every juice except guava and the sausages were so hard you might have broken a tooth. But it was free and so is parking. I wanted to give the hotel a better rating because of the location and price (and the Jacuzzi) but the run down nature, HORRIBLE bed and outright dirtiness will only allow me a poor rating. Sad really.

• Trip type: Traveled on business