“Perfect if you are going to HP Pavilion!”
Review of Arena Hotel

Arena Hotel
Ranked #34 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My 10 y.o. daughter and I stayed here when we attended the US Olympic Gymnastics Trials at HP Pavilion. It was perfect for the price! It was easy to find and check in was smooth. It's an easy, safe, direct walk to the Pavilion along a busy road, but there was a sidewalk. It took about 10 minutes. I was expecting more like a Motel 6 but it way exceeded my expectations. The place had a very warm vibe to it. It was calm and cozy and my daughter kept saying how she liked this place. The room was very spacious. There is a soda/water machine on the floor and a fridge in the room, which was handy. The breakfast wasn't anything extraordinary but it was convenient and satisfying.The only thing I didn't like is that our window faced the entry courtyard and between certain hours we constantly could hear the beep sounds of people locking their cars and closing car doors. Also, I could hear lots of birds chirping outside from about 5-6am. My daughter slept through it all with no problems though. We would definitely stay here again if needed.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the parking lots.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Although the hotel is small and not a full service one, it a good value for your money.

I check in late all the time coz of my red eye flights from the East Coast, and I always chance upon this friendly Asian guy at night. He's been helpful all the time. He knows the area well and always makes checkin a nice experience.

The rooms are always clean and well maintained. All the front desk staff are so friendly and well versed. The housekeeping are on point and courteous.

Breakfast is good and the lobby is clean and nice. The proximity is very close to major destinations and parking is free.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I reserved the room simply to be close to the HP Pavillion to see a concert. We were very surprised to find the hotel an excellent place to stay. The room was clean with all the basic necessities. Would recommend to anyone wanting to see a concert at the Pavillion.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We chose this hotel because it was cheap and within walking distance of the Ren Faire. The main considerations in the choice besides location were the free WiFi and the free breakfast buffet. Seeing they had jacuzzi tubs was just a little icing on the cake.

Okay. STRONG four stars for the quality of this hotel at the price we paid.

I was expecting a LOT more divey, but the Arena was a nice little place! Good parking lot, nice staff, pretty lobby, comfortable seating outside... NOT your typical $86 a night hotel.

Beds were comfortable. Jacuzzi tub was AWESOME. WiFi worked well. Breakfast was free.

Some issues:
We had a total of four rooms in our traveling group. Some complained that the room was too cold. They had comforters rolled in the closet in SOME of the rooms, but not all. One of our group didn't have a stopper for the tub. One of our group found the breakfast "unacceptable", but the rest of us gobbled it down. I think some of the rooms also have had updates done more recently than others.

Would probably stay there for any San Jose trip I take in the future.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Was looking for a cheap enough place and found it :-) good value for money but they really need to remove that carpet that made me sneeze all the time.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed April 30, 2012

The Arena hotel seemed a lot better in the reviews than in real life. It seemed fine and almost up-to-date from ouside and in the common areas but the room (202) looked like it had not been updated since the early 90's. Weirdly, the bath was enormous and possiby because there was no room for it, the sink was in the room. The bath just looked tired and a bit grubby. Everything did work but it wasn't a nice experience. There was a laminated menu for order-in pizza menu in the room which was just odd. The view was to the car park which was a nice change from the inside view.

The air-con worked but was noisy. When switching it off, it carried on making a noise and as the hotel maintenance coudn't fix it, they very kindly put us in a different room. Bring ear plugs as you can easily hear noises from the neighbouring rooms. Wifi and parking was free and the hotel was within the walking distance of the city centre which was a plus.

The breakfast was included. There were cereals, including the fluorescent kind, eggs, bacon, toast, some fruit that looked like they came out from the tin and some other bits. It was rather poor and not worth the effort The plates and cutlery were plastic. For some reason the kitchen staff had put a tips box on display which was just plain tacky.

This experience left me feeling like my visit was not worth the money ($90ish) and with the knowledge that I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: 202 had a noisy air conditioner on the date of travel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2012

It's not The Ritz but it did the job. I've stayed her a few times for shows, most recently for Coldplay on 4/28/12. Easy to get to, free parking, free so so breakfast. Clean and comfortable yet older hotel. Ask for a room on the third floor, less noisy & be sure to turn on the refrigerator which we failed to do so none of our drinks stayed cold. I'll be back in October for Madonna. All in all, a good stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor room and be sure to turn on the refrigerator when you arrive at your room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends