Arena Hotel
$228
$212
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Best Western Lanai Garden Inn & Suites(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$135
The Westin San Jose(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$217
$207
Westin.com
  • Restaurant
Dolce Hayes Mansion(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$230
$218
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Jose Airport(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$159
La Quinta
$299
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Courtyard by Marriott San Jose Airport(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$289
Courtyard
Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$170
  • Breakfast included
$284
Fairfield Inn
All reviewsjacuzzi tubhp pavilionwhole foodspaper platessap arenacanned fruittrain stationsharks gamewithin walking distancehockey gameshort walkroom was largebit datedan older hotelfree breakfast isstayed here for one nighthotel room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I must admit to being a tad mystified at the glowing reviews this property seems to be receiving on this and other websites. While there's nothing horrible about it (I mean like the important things: Cleanliness and safety, for example), there's plenty of details that just don't sit right.
Decor: Vintage late 1980's. Think pink-n-green pastel. Each elevator lobby features a partially mirrored ceiling and rows of now-empty track lights. The hallways reek of long-ago cigarette smoke.

Free breakfast: You get what you pay for. Just sayin'. Caveat emptor on the "scrambled eggs."

Staff/service: Our main point of contact with hotel staff was housekeeping, and all I can think is that they're either (1) Drastically understaffed, or (2) Incredibly lazy. In the 5 days we were there, our room was never cleaned before 4:30. On two of the days, we arrived back at our room at 5:00 to find the room still uncleaned. It's not as if the maids looked busy, quite the opposite. It appeared they were standing around waiting for quittin' time.

Safety: While The Alameda is gentrifying, there are plenty of homeless still in the area. Staff does a good job making sure it's guests only in the hotel and the parking lot, and the doors are locked after 10:00 PM.

Cleanliness: Besides my dissatisfaction with the maids, there are some very harsh chemicals in use to clean the sheets and towels-- You can smell it. If you're sensitive to that sort of thing (We left itching), this might not be the place.

A Final Note: At every hotel I've ever stayed, the desk clerk who checks you out asks "How was everything?". Not here. So should I infer from that they really don't want to know?

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank TheIrishNomad
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The hotel is well located very close to downtown San Jose. It appeared to be an older hotel which is well maintained. Great free parking on the grounds. The room was well equipped (full refrigerator, microwave, television, etc.) but a little on the small side. The breakfast was excellent. Bacon, sausages, eggs, biskits and gravy. It is served in a large spacious room. The area seems to be one that is going through urban upscaling. All rooms have whrilpool bathtubs. Excellent price for a downtown hotel. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slr_7
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I chose this hotel after hearing from a family member about what a great place it was. I had mixed feelings. When I pulled into the parking lot I was happy to see a lot of parking spaces, and what seemed to look like a nice building. Once inside it looked great. But appearances can be wrong. Our room had big stains on the floor, and was supposedly "Recently renovated." The AC had no power, and so only one side of the room was cold, and the other extremely hot, the exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work making it absolutely miserable trying to take a shower or use the bathroom period. For one night, I didn't think it was too terrible and I could survive. That was until I was awoken at 4am on a Sunday morning to a fire alarm. As we evacuated the building no one seemed to know what was going on or where to find the stairwells (They are not clearly marked). As we all arrived in the parking lot for further instruction not 1 staff member was there explaining anything or giving us any direction. People weren't sure if they should get out of the premises, or if it was a false alarm. 15 minutes later (YES 15 MINUTES!) the San Jose Fire Dept showed up, walked in with an ax, and still said nothing. I was absolutely disappointed in the way Arena Hotel handled what could have been an emergency situation. The next day, as we rushed to get out by check-out time, i called to find out what had happend and they told me, "We can offer you a late check-out." "Well, what could is that going to do me now?" I thought. I will not be returning to the Arena Hotel (Or using the 25% off coupon they're sending me as an apology), this place was a joke. After we were allowed back in to our rooms, we could only go as high as the 2nd floor (I was on the 3rd), because the fire walls had dropped blocking all walkways and those hidden stairwells. We were all lucky that night that it wasn't an actual emergency, the lack of professionalism was astounding.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lizzy L
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Excellent hotel for the price. The room was really nice and everything was clean. The refrigerator and air-conditioner worked great. Location to the HP pavilion was wonderful since i was there for a concert.

The only bad part was that the fire alarm went off at 3 in the morning and i never did find out what happened but that was beyond their control.

All in all i would stay here again

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Sookienorthman
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Traveled with my family - husband and teens. Comfortable queen sized beds. Spacious room size and spacious bathroom. Separate sink area which is nice when everyone dressing at once. Pergo (laminate) wood floors - interesting but careful because the bed slides when you get into it. Breakfast was very good - link sausage, biscuits, french toast, several types of juices to choose from (cranberry, orange, etc). Refrigerator in the room was a little too ambitious - my drinks froze overnight - so be sure to adjust the setting to lower than highest. Air conditioning worked great. Very clean. Very comfortable overall. Friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family