“Good Value”

Extended Stay America - San Jose - Airport
Ranked #62 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at Extended Stay America on a business trip for four nights. Overall, I thought it was a good value. Detailed positives and negatives:
1) Positives:
- Very convenient to 104.
- Friendly staff
- Spacious rooms
- Reasonably quiet.
- Seems to have a recent major rennovation.
- Good value
2) Negatives:
- Noisy AC (I think others complained also). Fortunately, I didn't really need to use it.
- Five young men came in the breakfast area with a bunch of beer and started downing it at 8 am in the morning. I didn't stick around to see how this turned out.
3)Things to be aware of:
- Breakfast is what they call "grab and go plus". It's not a full breakfast (after all, this is an extended stay hotel, but you can eat enough to start your day).
- Fitness center consists of 3 cardiovascular machines, nothing else.
- You don't get room service (although you can ask the front desk for replacements) unless you stay 8 nights. I usually keep up the "do not disturb" sign anyway, so this was not an issue for me.
- Swimming pool is currently closed (and needs to be drained, rather than sitting there full of gunk!).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Property M, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Jose Airport. We are appreciative that you took the time to tell us about your stay. We rely on our guests to let us know how we are doing and where we may need to focus our attention. I apologize for the noisy ac unit and we will definitely have this looked at so this will be sure not to be a nuisance to others that may stay with us.

I’m glad you to hear that you enjoyed our recent renovation as we just completed this in mid-2012. We are always looking for new ideas to improve our services and amenities that we offer and your comments about our fitness center and breakfast will be considered for future changes that we make to our hotel amenities. Again, we thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. With Hospitality the Management at Extended Stay America San Jose Airport.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

The hotel is very nice. I love the decor and interior design. The service was very friendly. Rooms were clean. Everyhting was great except for the food. It was average, only eggs and bacon were served for hot breakfast. For cold breafast you get oatmeal, bars, and muffins. Overall, it was a very nice stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Property M, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Our many thanks for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Jose Downtown. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us overall. We pride ourselves on providing clean, comfortable rooms along with great service for all our guests each stay. I would also like to thank you for your feedback on our breakfast, we are always looking for ways to improve what we offer and we will take your comments up to our corporate office for review. We rely on our guest's feedback so we know how we're doing and what we can do to make each stay even better for you. We appreciate that you took the time to give us a great review and we hope that you will come visit us again in the future should your travels bring you back to our area. With Hospitality the Management at Extended Stay America San Jose Downtown.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I got an outstanding rate for this hotel and honestly had low expectations coming in because the price was so low. My expectations were far exceeded. I got incredible value from my stay.

Things I liked:
+ Very accessible. It's only 1 minute from 101 highway. This made my morning commute a lot easier.
+ Kitchen with everything I needed to feel at home: refrigerator, stove, microwave, sink, plateware, silverware.
+ Staff was very helpful. On my 1st day I was running late to a meeting and asked for a pad of paper. They gave me a notebook from their own office. They printed my boarding pass for me on my last day.
+ Breakfast every morning. Everyday they had eggs + 1 side (bacon, sausage, waffle sticks), muffins, yogurt or snack bars, and coffee.
+ Bed was VERY comfortable. I slept like a baby every night

Things I would change (these are all minor):
- Microwave was very old and turning table broken. I still got it to work though.
- No tea in the room
- No garbage can in the bathroom
- The breakfast food was definitely edible, but it wasn't amazing. Although it's minimalist, it's free and I really enjoyed the price.
- There is no restaurant on site and the closest grocery store is ~ 15 mins away. I was very hungry and tired when I arrived and wished I didn't have to travel 30 mins round-trip for food. Once I stocked my refrigerator, I was fine.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

We would like to extend our thanks to you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Jose Downtown. I am so glad to read all the wonderful things you had to say about our property. We pride ourselves on providing clean, comfortable rooms coupled with excellent service for each of our guests each stay. I also want to thank you for your suggestions for our hotel, we are always looking for ways to enhance our hotels for our guests enjoyment and welcome any and all feedback so we know where to focus our attention. We hope that we wowed you in to becoming a return guest to the Extended Stay Brand as you will enjoy the same great rooms and service at all of our over 680 hotels nationwide. We are not just a brand; we are an entire new culture. Delivering excellent service and great rooms nationwide! We hope to see you again soon. The Management at Extended Stay America San Jose Downtown.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Customer Service Purgatory

Sometimes I do truly despair at the decline of the service industry and this is never more so apparent than my time staying at this shockingly poor hotel. Beyond its lack of architectural charm, its poor location and surely staff, I truly feel sorry for anyone who is forced to stay here for an extended stay. I stayed for a few days and it felt like a life time.

Staying here truly raises the question as to why people who clearly hold the general public in contempt take a job in what is ultimately a customer facing role. The experience begins at the front desk, which if manned, which wasn’t common during my stay, will result in the poor unsuspecting member of the public being either ignored, scowled at or, if you are truly blessed, a contemptuous mixture of both. Of course there is nothing much to do but apologise profusely for your rude interruption to their terribly demanding routine and wait patiently.

After having your credit card tossed back at you (double scowl if its foreign!) you are free to make your way to the allocated cell, I mean room. The rooms are smaller than is typical for such hotels and lack any apparent charm or personal touches. The small cooking area, complete with cracked crockery, leaky taps and scared work tops, looks like it last saw a cleaning cloth sometime around the Regan administration. The bathroom is equally tatty and devoid of such luxuries as towels (no one told me that I would be issued only a single towel – next time I will be sure to bring my own…) and the shower is of such weakness that it would be better to stand outside under the grounds sprinkers and wash that way. Needless to say, the sheets on the bed were not clean – but did look less than a few week’s old – which I thought was pretty impressive.

Breakfast is provided – or at least a minimalist suggestion of breakfast – coffee and a motley collection of dubious looking items which appeared with frightening regularity each morning but this joyous feast was spoiled each morning by the breakfast room being apparently used by the undesirables of San Jose as a social club…which is just the most perfect way to start the day.
I however found that true pleasure could be obtained in asking the front desk to order a taxi as this resulted in world class histrionics, a measurable degree of contempt and much complaining. I made a point of doing this at least twice a day. Local knowledge, suggestions as to where to eat or other helpful tips were certainly not forthcoming which made me appreciate the gas station opposite selling beer by the case at a significant discount.

For the money this has to represent shocking value and honestly has no redeemable features.

1  Thank blazdell
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America San Jose - Downtown. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn’t satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

The experience you described is truly regrettable. We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff. We absolutely expect our staff to provide excellent service to each guest who walks through our doors and for you to describe a vast contrast to that is very troubling. We will be sure to do extra training with our staff to ensure the behavior you describe does not occur again for any of our future guests.

I am equally not happy to hear that our rooms weren’t up to our normally high standards. There should always be a full set of towels in each room equally 4 bath, 3 hand and 3 washcloths. We have very strict inspection standards prior to a guest’s arrival and clearly we had a breakdown in this metric on your stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for this.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stay there 2 night a week and I must say its a GREAT hotel Rebecca the manager does a great job and the staff is great.. A good meal in the AM of yogart fruit and milk.. Ill tell everyone I know to stay there

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America San Jose - Downtown. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays. I am so glad Rebecca has been so helpful to you, she is definitely an asset to our company and we thank you for recognizing her for her great customer care.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

with repeated disapointments from check in to just before check out, I was not happy with this place. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean with the exception of ants in the bathroom.The A/C unit worked well. The kitchen was short of supplies as well as the bathroom being short of towels and other basic items. There was a mix-up of information from an online reservation and the staff seemed dumfounded on how to fix it. The pool was closed due to a state-wide law to update safety features on pumps and drains that was supposed to be completed in January. Neighboring hotels seemed to have functioning pools and upgraded thier issues in a timely manner. Also, breakfast of burnt eggs and soggy waffle sticks was pretty gross. Good thing the rooms have their own kitchen. I'd have cooked my own eggs, but i wasn't supplied with a pan or a pot. It's pretty clean if you don't mind ants and the bed is very comforatable, but don't expect the staff to have any work skills or offer a discount or voucher for another stay if things aren't what they should be.

Room Tip: The room did not match what I reserved and the floor plan./furniture layout is terrible and thoughtl...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Property M, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America San Jose - Downtown. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, so I was pleased to read your remarks about your room & comfortable bedding. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Ok... Here it is. I am a lifetime platinum member of a very prestigious hotel chain. Therefore, it's not only common, but expected to receive great service. However, there were a couple times that I was unable to get my corporate rate with this chain, and I simply didn't think it was worth it to spend over 250. Per night at a non full service property.

So I stumbled upon this extended stay. When I asked about the rate, and they told me, I was a little worried expecting something like the motels "truckers go to" for quick one night stays.

I then asked if I mis-understood. Or "what's the catch?" And the answer was pretty much that when I checked in for a couple nights, that a maid didn't come in each day to make my bed and vacuum the floors. And of course, bring new towels

So I said, I could go to front desk for extra towels, and make my own bed, and save 125.00 per night? Yes.

And on top of it, the crew, or team of people that work the property are kind and service oriented. Plus, I still get the perks of free hot breakfast, and hot appetizers in the evening with a kitchen in my clean suite.

The only down side is that I don't get the points. But at that price? Are they really worth it?

So yes, I strongly suggest you give this property a shot. If your like me? You'll be back. Count on it

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank PlatinumJeff
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

We would like to take a moment and thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Jose Airport. We are so glad that you found a great value on what our hotel chain has to offer. We may not be able to offer all the points programs other hotel chains do and daily housekeeping, but exactly like you pointed out we can and do offer a value that can’t be beat. Our daily breakfast and evening appetizer reception can offer a traveler a bit of comfort while away from home and our freshly appointed guest rooms can offer all the comforts of a mini studio for your rest and relaxation after a long day of work. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we certainly look forward to seeing you again on a future stay at this location or that of any of our over 680 locations nationwide. With our thanks the Management at Extended Stay America San Jose Airport.