“Terrible”

Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Zurich, Switzerland
“Terrible”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I can't rate their food or drinks because we haven't been able to eat there. We've tried 4 different times to go there. First, they don't take reservations and they don't put you on the list if you don't go there in person. The place is super small, I heard they have good margaritas and they have live music or a dj weekend nights, so it looks like a great spot to go with friends. The first time we went there, we put our names on the list, but since we were hungry, we couldn't wait 50 minutes, so we went to the restaurant accross the street, sat in one of the outdoor tables, we were seated within 15 minutes and got our food within 20 and still were able to enjoy the music from this place. One hour later our phone rang telling us the table was ready at El Jardin. The next time something similar happened. The last time was on August 24. I had friends visiting from Seattle and we wanted to go there for my birthday. We wanted a table for 9:30 pm. My husband went there around 6pm to request a table and they refused to put us on the list because it was too early and asked us to come back. We stopped at 8:50 and they said it was a 40 minute wait, which was totally fine with us. at 9:50 we still had no table and they didn't know how longer it was going to take. Their kitchen closes at 10:30 so we had to leave and instead went to one of the nearby restaurants. They have 3 girls at the entrance putting names on the list. I don't know why they need 3 to do that, but they are always chatting and dancing and don't pay attention to you. They are like Oh! I didn't even know you were waiting for me to put your name on the list, I was too busy chatting with her and dancing. They also should take reservations or at least put your name on the list over the phone if they know is difficult to get a table. Regardless, they know they are popular because of the ambiance, so they really don't care to go above and beyond with the service because people will always go because of that.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank TainoTrails

CA
“Great Drinks, Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Great spot to come have a margarita after a long day of shopping. The entire place is outdoors so its a great place to people watch.

Tuesday nights they also offer free Salsa lessons.

There are always various live bands as well.

• Visited May 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
“Margerita and Latino music”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

The place to go before or after the dinner at one of the closeby restaurants. Classic Margeritas and Latino Music. You feel really good, and maybe even in the mood for a little dance.

Visited May 2012
San Jose, California
“Awful service, overpriced, mediocre food”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I was just at El Jardin today with 4 friends having lunch on a saturday. It was by the far worst service I have ever had. The best part was probably their mojitos.

We were sat in the sun, at a short patio table that no one was comfortable sitting at, and then when we asked to be moved, they moved us to the bar, where we huddle around a small bench table. It took over 15 minutes for the server to even acknowledge us.

She just showed up to take our drink, appetizer and lunch order at the same time, and we felt rushed. We just got off a night of partying, and were really dehydrated, they didn't fill our water at all, nor did she ask if we wanted a second drink. The food came at a reasonable time. We did not have silverware or napkins. When we asked for napkins, she brought us small beverage napkins.

The food was sub par - my boyfriend was happy with his chicken torta. Everyone else' food was tiny, overpriced, and soggy when it was suppose to be crispy, or overly salty.

We didn't complain too much, but probably the worst part of the meal is when we went to pay, she said my card is declined - which is totally humiliating enough, but she does this twice, on the third card, she finally realizes that its their machine. The declined receipts say "batch error, need to settle" or something like that. So we figured it was their machine. As a former server, if I ever got a declined card, I would politely ask for another card, or maybe say the magnetic strip was not working or something like that. Not "your card declined." In front of all my friends? And I knew for a fact that that was impossible, but I gave her 2 more bank cards anyway. And to top it off there was no apology. We finally just paid cash and gave her a 15% tip (and we're normally 20% + type people), but it should have been zero.

Without doubt, I will never return to El Jardin again, and I will be sure to post this review on as many sites as possible to deter other patrons from going to this restaurant. I would give this zero stars if I could.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Matty T
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great happy hour place”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Yes, this place is over priced and has a limited menu and often has a long wait for a table, but it is a very pleasant place to relax with friends. It's an outdoor garden area in the middle of Santana Row, with trees, and cushy chairs and music. It's all about the ambiance and this place has it in spades. Their cocktails are quite nice and I do like the food. The service has always been surprisingly good too, for such a busy place.

• Visited May 2011