“Took care of a large group and very cost effective” 4 of 5 bubbles

Sweet Tomatoes
Ranked #56 of 2,143 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Boise, Idaho
“Took care of a large group and very cost effective”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

They lost the note that let them know we are coming but worked quickly to get us some group seating. Line was long but moved quickly. All items fresh and tasty. Go back as much as you want. Great prices

Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
San Jose, California
“Healthy eats”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Sweet tomatoes is the place to go for salads (they have 3 pre mix salads or you can make your own or you can get both). Its basically a buffet salad bar that also offers soups, breads, pasta & desserts included in the meal price (fountain drinks are an extra charge. Its in the $11 pp range so make sure your hungry or sign up & they send you weekly coupons. My family asks to go to this place by name (even my teenage son).

• Visited February 2014
Chennai
“" From Nature to us, to You"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Way back in 1978, Sweet Tomatoes was started as a Chain of restaurants. Their motto is serve us farm fresh food, straight from nature. Their soups, muffins and focaccia's are made from scratch, and that too, from their own farm fresh vegetables. During lunchtime, their restaurant is packed, long line for taking food at the counters.
They have innumerable varieties of salads, dressings, croutons, vegetables, pastas, dry fruits and as we pick even a small quantity of every thing, there seems to be huge pile on our plates. They have freshly made berry juices, lemonade also. Their minestrone soup was very good, they also had Asian ginger soup. I am mentioning only vegetarian dishes, since I am a strict vegetarian.
Their assorted focaccias , blue berry muffin, corn bread with shipped butter, honey dip were awesome. Their tapioca pudding is a very famous dish for dessert.
Always, whenever I go to Sweet Tomatoes, I wish, my stomach had elasticity!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank thiagamala
“Good Stuff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Love this place. Fresh salad with wide variety of toppings. Potato bar is simple but pretty good. Love hot bread with honey butter. 8 different choices of soup & chili. Hot blueberry muffins are delicious. I give em 3 out of 5 forks. Check em out!

San Jose, California
“Do not eat breakfast at Sweet Tomatoes”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

A few years back, right before leaving on a trip, we decided to grab a quick breakfast at Sweet Tomatoes near our house in the Coleman shopping center. It was pretty awful. We do enjoy lunch and here, though, as at lunchtime the food is very fresh and hot. But we were never coming back for breakfast.

We saw a coupon for breakfast at Sweet Tomatoes - buy one breakfast and two drinks and get the second breakfast for $1. We thought we'd give it a try because, after all, the price was pretty good. Wrong! Breakfast has gone up to $10 per person and coffee was about $2.25 a cup. So, breakfast cost us a bit over $15.

For $15 we had fresh salads, thank heavens for that. My husband had the frittata, which he said was good but marginally warm. I opted for the scrambled eggs...cold, potatoes...cold, muffin...warm. So, I had a small bowl of hot cereal, which was good, and then found the waffle pieces. Tried that...cold. At this point, the only part of my breakfast that was really good was my salad.

I approached the manager and told him the food was cold. He checked the temperatures and in about 10 minutes they were putting out fresh waffles and pancakes. So, I tried another waffle section and it was "warm" but not warm enough to melt a bit of butter.

Tried the eggs again...still not hot. There were fresh potatoes but they were very, very salty and they were not hot. I gave up.

The good part is that the coffee was tasty, and I'm what you might call a "coffee snob". I don't like coffee brewed from packages and not whole beans. But, this coffee was not bad at all.

We definitely will not return to Sweet Tomatoes for breakfast ever again! Of that you can be sure.

• Visited January 2013