“The Tech Museum”

The Tech Museum of Innovation
Ranked #4 of 138 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: The Tech Museum of Innovation is a Silicon Valley landmark for visitors seeking a glimpse of the most innovative place on Earth. The 132,000 square foot museum is one of the nation's premier science and technology museums. The Tech is dedicated to inspire the innovator in everyone. Through fun, hands-on experiences and one of-a-kind floor programs, many supported by Stanford and NASA, the museum unleashes the creative sparks hidden within. Enjoy the largest IMAX dome screen in the West with its eight story-high screen and digital surround-sound system. New! Build, program, and decorate a "social robot" or explore The Tech Studio, a unique space that boasts the latest in cutting-edge digital fabrication with 3D printers, CNC machines, and laser cutters. With so many experiences at your fingertips, the possibilities are limited only by your imagination! Don't miss the last chance to see Star Wars (R): Where Science Meets Imagination, the exhibition. Open now through February 23, 2014. This is the first and last chance to see this 10,000 sq foot exhibition that includes 80 authentic costumes from all 6 films, plus interactive hands-on labs. Museum opens at 10:00 a.m.; closing times vary.
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The museum was a really fun and positive way to get kids to learn all about engineering and science. However, when I went there, they had a lot of construction going on and he exhibits were either closed or not working properly. I really enjoyed being there, though, and I hope to go back there for a slightly better experience.

TechMuseum, Marketing Coordinator at The Tech Museum of Innovation, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Hi there,

Thanks so much for visiting us. We are sad to see that your experience was less than stellar. I would like to invite you to return, so, hopefully, you can have a better experience. If you are interested, please send me a message so I can set it up.

Best,
Melissa

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We were members here when it first opened and then our daughter was a student volunteer. Be prepared for a noisy facility, but lots of interesting displays with knowledgeable volunteers to explain things. Also, a great gift shop that you can browse without going to the museum. This is not for small children. There is also an IMAX movie theater.

1  Thank Bay-Area-Grandma
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This is my first time going to the Tech Museum and, boy, was I disappointed. I came to see the Star Wars exhibit and they had great models of the X- wing fighter, Millennium Falcon, various character's costumes, and other tidbits of the movie. Lots of interactive activities for the kids like the magnetized race cars but what was there to do for the adults? Would have loved to try some of the interactive activities but the kids were all participating in it, which was fine with me. There's always the main museum to visit, right? Wrong! Again, lots of interactive activities but it did not provide me with any interesting things to look at. I've visited many museums around the world, to basically learn, but this one was very disappointing.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

We went for the Star Wars exhibit (which was fabulous) and stayed for the museum since our son is a science nut. There was tons of hands-on activities, including a build-you-own robot and magnetized race cars, that could easily keep you busy for much of the day. We also enjoyed an IMAX film while we were there (skip the underwater feature unless you're a big fan of cuddlefish), and they have an excellent gift shop and handy café. Would highly recommend it for curious kids -- and parents!

2  Thank RealCABlonde
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I visited the museum on my own and mid week. I had no idea what to expect and the staff at the ticket desk were dreadful. I had to ask how much, what you see, do they have a map and felt like I was most definitely not welcome. We could not be bothered!.

Despite this I went to all the different areas of the museum and felt that it was lacking any real theme. Great place for kids and it was full of school parties having a great day out. Just want to say with the exception of one family, ALL the kids were rude and ill mannered and none of the adults/teachers with the, seemed to care, the pushed you aside and jumped in front of you etc. I am a Brit and lots of our children are the same when excited at a museum, but this was the worst experience ever.

The IMAX experience was amazing and well worth the small price I paid.

The Star Wars experience was very disappointing and I thought very expensive for what it was. I like Star Wars but not a huge fan.. Maybe if Star Wars mad then would have rated it more.

Overall I came away thinking expensive day put and not a great experience.

The museum is fun on a quiet day and it will occupy the kids for hours. As an adult, you can't get near anything because all the kids are pushing every button in sight and its a bit disappointing with lots of empty spaces.

I won't be going again and suggest they retrain the desk staff to actually treat the visitor better

1  Thank opalset