“Basic, clean and comfortable”

Americas Best Value Inn- San Jose Convention Center
Ranked #40 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I have stayed at a variety of hotels and I generally brave the smaller chains when I am alone or money is really tight. The later was true in this case, so the $69 rate got my eye. I was a bit leery when we drove up, but the hotel was clean and the room comfortable and quiet despite being right on the road. I would bring my family here anytime and I recommend this as a good value.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Richard P
Kishor P, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn- San Jose Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2012

Thank you for your comments we are happy that you found our Inn to be comfortable and are glad that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed September 6, 2009

I called and asked if they were close to the convention center because I'm disabled and can't walk too far and they told me they were just around the corner from it. When we got there we had to drive because it was 15 long blocks to the convention center. Our room there was small and dirty looking. Maybe some will think this place is cheap but we payed $92.00 for one night "Thank God it was only one night" for me and my husbnd. The noise was soo bad I had a hard time sleeping even though I was soo tired. Employee's when asked questions were totally rude and inconsidered. I totally would not recommend this dump! OH! forgot to mention you don't want to be outside when it starts to get dark because there are a lot of bums, lowlifes hanging around. Pretty scary!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2007

All I can say..... is read the reviews and don’t stay here. What a dump. The people in the office were down right rude, our room looked ok at first but when I went to take a shower it had black mold in the corners and on the wall over the shower. The grout in the tile floor was filthy. I booked the room for 3 people and I only got two sets of towels. When I tried to ask for another set, the gal who was cleaning didn't speak any English, but a least she smiled. There were holes in the walls, blood stains on the side of the mattress. The blankets on the beds had cigarette burns in them. Light fixtures were broken. The window had no screen on it. If this represents Travelodge then they have truly gone down hill. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 3, 2006

I stayed at the "Convention Center" Travelodge the last weekend in June. Unless you are driving, it's not anywhere near the Convention Center. It's about a 20 minute walk through a neighborhood that's fine during the daytime, but I didn't want to walk through at night. That's how I found out that it's about a $6 cab ride between the two. The hotel seemed fine to me. I had a spacious room with one bed, a sofa, a microwave, and a fridge. It was clean and neat. The hotel offers "breakfast" but if you want more than muffins, you could go to the family-style restaurant across the street or the fast food place next door. The hotel is no worse than many I've stayed at in suburban or interstate interchange locations. If you want low price and no frills, this would be a fine choice.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 28, 2005

Want a nasty little motel - look no further. Rude employees, an awful breakfast, run down rooms, and all the noise you can handle (it's under the SJ airport flight path, is on a busy street, and has no noise insulation). Anyone who wrote a positive review of this place is just outright lying (or owns the place). No sane person would ever come back here.

The also tried to jack up the price and add an extra night despite the fact we had a written confirmation with the stated price for one night.

Convention Center? That's the biggest laugh of all. This place is tiny, and there isn't even a place to eat your breakfast (if you have an iron stomach), much less have a meeting. It doesn't get more dishonest than this.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank Thomas L
Austin, TX
Reviewed February 10, 2005

This motel was clean and the staff was excellent. I highly recommend this motel.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed March 18, 2003

The hotel itself is average, but was misrepresented by the central Travelodge booking center. I was told this hotel was two blocks from the convention center - it is more like a mile and a half. The brochures have photos of the convention center on the front! And the photo of the room on the brochure bears little resemblance to the room I was placed in. Very misleading. I was charged $120/night for this hotel and it was definately not worth it! I was booked for two nights. During the first night I woke to someone rattling the door handle on the hotel room door - which completely freaked me out!!! I tried the next morning to get the manager or the Travelodge chain to move me to another hotel for the next evening. Not only would no one help, I had to pay for both nights and have still not heard from the Travelodge customer service people (which I was promised). I wasn't even asking for a discount or a refund - just help in moving to a safer hotel for the next night. Not impressed at all! If you are in the market for an inexpensive hotel, not close to town this may suit - be careful of what you pay though! And don't count on Travelodge customer service to give customer service.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member