“Truly surprised”

Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in San Gabriel
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I was at this hotel for a business trip only spending one night. From the greeting at the front desk through breakfast the next morning, everything was wonderful.
My room was clean and very comfortable with a view to the mountains. I had an early dinner in the lounge and the server/bartender was truly amazing. Happy, helpful and all the things you want in these circumstances.
Breakfast was even better. The buffet had a fresh made juice that was unique and wonderful. So many choices were available from dim sum through lox and bagels.
I will absolutely stay in this hotel again when needed.
I travel a lot for business and this hotel ranks up there with one of the best.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens and mountains.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Thank you for your very kind words on Trip Advisor. It was great to read that you enjoyed the hotel. Especially your experiences in the lounge and the restaurant. We hope to have you back at the hotel real soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Very good location, very easy to drive to LA each place such as Hollywood. Very comfortable bed, but normal bath room and old decorate which can be improved. For the service, the front desk people is very nice and warm, but it's better if you have Mandarin language support

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I was happy to see that you enjoyed our location and the bed. We will be remodeling our guest rooms starting in September. The process will take about 6 weeks. I did see your comment about having Mandarin language support at the front desk. I found it odd because normally we staff at least one person at the front desk that speaks Mandarin. I went back and checked the video tapes of your check in and check out and found that was the case. The only thing that I can think of is that they won't automatically speak Mandarin to you unless you request it. I also have staff in the gift shop, restaurant, and housekeeping that speak Mandarin.
Hopfully I can find out where the lapse of service was.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

This hotel was immaculate and well maintained. The immediate neighborhood was ok...but within 5 minutes of the hotel there were several nice restaurants. I would definitely stay there again. Self-parking fee was very reasonable when compared to others in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank nobebe

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I was happy to see that you enjoyed our location and the variety of restaurants that we have to offer.
We look forward to seeing you again real soon.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

The entire staff is constantly trying to please their guests and have been consistent in achieving their goal. The hotel is spotless, food is great and every week they have a professional flower bouquet in the lobby. I travel every week, I rate this hotel #1 and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jack P
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I was happy to see that you enjoyed our flower arrangement in the lobby. We do value our florist and its nice to see that their work is appreciated. Thank you also for recommending us, we hope to see you again real soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

As you walk in, the lobby is very spacious and there is plenty of seating. This hotel is located adjacent and across from many Asian restaurants and shops. Restaurants and shops are literally at your footsteps. The staff were all very pleasant to deal with. I felt that the bathrooms could have used a "freshen up" as I noticed there was a bit of peeling paint, but otherwise it was functional. The rooms are fairly spacious for a standard room which was nice. The fact there was complimentary coffee, tea and water in the room that was a nice perk. There is also a small fridge under the tv. The beds are surprisingly comfortable. Soft enough but not squishy. The blankets were also very nice. I didn't partake in the breakfast downstairs but it looks like it does accommodate to Chinese palate that included "jook" or porridge as well as "man tao" or steam bun. There is valet parking or else the option of self park. I would recommend this place for others to stay at for the fact it is conveniently located if you want to stay in a mini Chinatown area of San Gabriel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Andrea L

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I'm glad that you enjoyed the hotel and our surrounding area. We were one of the first Hilton Hotels to implement the new Hilton bedding progam and have received very good reviews from our guests. Starting in September we will be remodeling all of the guest rooms which includes the bathrooms. I'm sure that you will like the new look. Also we are one of the Hilton "Chinese Friendly" hotels which means that we have additional selections on our breakfast buffet. Thank you for recommending us and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

SG hilton is close to many asian shops and restaurants with a large shopping mall across the street. it's a great location for Asian visitors. They even give you slippers to wear in the room. My Mom loves all the Chinese cable channels on the TV.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Tracy M
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I was happy to read that you appreciated the slippers and the Chinese TV Stations. We were one of the first Hiltons to be part of their "Chinese Friendly" program. Part of the additional amenities include these items. We actually have 10 channels in our line up.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

stayed there in march, 2014. a very nice hotel as a Hilton should be. good location, many restaurants around the property. however, the management was very poor! when we arrived, first the front desk couldn't find our pre-paid reservation, had to wait for long time for them to check us in. the room was good, however, the towels in the bathroom were damp, dark and gave us a not cleaned impression. the restaurant staff was poor trained. they didn't even know how to respond to customers' thank you, like they heard nothing! all I can say is, it's a nice hotel under poor management!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Q Z
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I understand first impressions can be lasting impressions and I sincerely apologize for the poor service experience you had at check-in. Your comments regarding your pre-paid reservation and the other missed service opportunities will help me improve our processes and ensure we remain one step ahead of our guests' needs. Also, thank you for emailing back some additional information to me and hopefully this experience will not detour you from staying with us in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Gabriel
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Montebello
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Rosemead
DusitD2 Hotel Constance Pasadena
The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, Los Angeles
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pasadena Colorado Blvd.
Hampton Inn Los Angeles/Arcadia/Pasadena

Been to Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel? Share your experiences!