“Santa Anita Breeders Cup trip”

Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in San Gabriel
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We recently stayed at the San Gabriel Hilton for six nights. We were primarily there for the horse races but being east coasters we did much of the typical tourist stuff. The hotel is a short drive from everywhere pending typical L A traffic. The staff was fantastic. They were always very friendly and helpful. The room was spotless and the breakfast and Saturday night buffet were both very good. Be aware if you want to do things around the hotel on foot you will find only Asian restaurants and markets. This was fine with us. Great food everywhere you look. The only problem we encountered was returning to the hotel on Saturday night. The hotel was hosting a large event and just getting into the parking lot was a mess. A friend just dropping us off was stuck in a line of traffic that was being charged to park for the event. It was a terrible set up

Room Tip: We stayed on 6th - top. Worked for us
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard C
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I’m glad that you pointed out the benefits of staying in our area. I do apologize for the inconveniences that occurred on Saturday night with the parking. We were caught in what I could only call a “Perfect Storm”. All of the guests were returning from the Breeders Cup and the same time that other guests were arriving for the banquet function. Also since we share the parking with the plaza next door we had to contend with the additional traffic. They all met at the same time and it was indeed overwhelming. We had a plan but it came down to the fact that we just didn’t have enough spaces available. I’m sorry to say that it looks like we will be in the same situation next year. I am looking into the possibilities of constructing addition parking spaces and I hope that this will happen. We do have a year to work on it and I’m sure that we will do a better job.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

cigarette bud found in the hallway, suggest that this hotel should not allow smoking. I was astonished when I checked in, the front desk clerk ask me whether you would like to a smoking room or non smoking room. I would think that this hotel is having a lot of guests fro China. May be this hotel need these guests but I do not think Hilton has to lower their standard. It is a shame to the Hilton chain. No smoking is allowed in the gust room and take a look around, most hotels do not have smoking guest rooms any more. I will be returning to this hotel but wish to find that there will be no more smoking guest rooms in this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Alfred L
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I understand and can appreciate your feelings about guest smoking in the hotel. This has been a constant issue that has caused much debate over time. I know of hotels that have gone to 100% non smoking but this has not solved the issue. Some guests who want to smoke will do so anyway and try as we have some guests disregard the policy. We have found that by having smoking rooms we are accommodating guest’s needs and keeping them from smoking in hallways and stairwells. We have gone to great expense to furnish our smoking rooms with air purification systems that work to eliminate much of the odor. I did notice that you were on the 3rd floor which is where our smoking rooms are located. Please let me know when you are returning and I will make sure that you are placed on a higher floor away from the smoking rooms. I’m sorry but I don’t see the smoking policy changing in the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

We chose this hotel because they accept dogs. It was just a $50 fee, which is in line with most other hotels in the area. The problem is that there is no where to walk your dog. No grass or dirt anywhere on the property or nearby. The staff did tell me about a park nearby, but it was within driving distance not walking. There are so many close trees lining the entire perimeter of the parking lot there is no flat, bare spot to let your dog use the restroom. I did finally find a small patch of dirt behind a fence, through some trees and next to the huge electrical breakers. It was just not convenient, so we checked out after our first night. The staff was friendly and the room just ok. Stain on one of the towels. Bathroom only had a shower, no tub. Overall fine hotel, just not for pet parents.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you and your pet at the hotel. I have been wrestling around with creating a designated area somewhere on the hotel grounds. I haven't been able to find an area that I would consider safe and easy to maintain. We do have the pads at the hotel and I will work with the staff on better suggestions on where you could go. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I was in San Gabriel for business and this hotel was a perfect location for me. The staff was helpful and friendly the food in the restaurant was great and my morning room service was timely and good. Will definitely stay here again when in San Gabriel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I happy to see that our location and services are a great fit for you. We look forward to having you back real soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

My guest are Chinese and felt welcome and had their needs met in full. the area of the hotel could be in almost any country in Asia and offered a very comfortable environment for all. this hotel has smoking rooms that are very important to my guests.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us a positive review on Trip Advisor. I was glad to see that your guests enjoyed their stay and that they will be returning in the future.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Never go to San Gabriel Hilton-Biggest Ripped off in my life and terrible service from the front desk to the manager in charge. They treat you like the most stupidest person in the whole world. They do not care you will stay at the hotel at all as too many non-English Chinese must go to this hotel. Their attitude is extremely NEGATIVE and their Service SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

I was sorry to hear about your experience via Trip Advisor. I did some checking into your reservation and found that the main issue was your room rate. I am confused about why you were unhappy with the room rate since it was booked through Hilton Reservations. When you attempted to have it reduced upon arrival the manager tried to explain to you that she could not reduce it to a lower rate. I apologize that they were not able to convey this to you properly. I saw that your reservation was booked a day before arrival when all of our lower rated rooms were already taken. I would recommend when booking hotel rooms at least 2 weeks in advance to get the best rates. This will help with your frustrations instead of trying to negotiate when you arrive at the hotel.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

My wife and I looked at over 12 venues in the Los Angeles area to select one where we could host our wedding function.
We sought to have great service in a well-designed salon, along with great food and drinks to share with our guests.
We also wanted to choose a place that felt "familiar" as opposed to just some corporate salon in some fancy hotel offering a standard party package.

At the end of our research we found the Hilton San Gabriel to be head and shoulders above any other place in a 20 mile radius.
The Hilton San Gabriel may not be cheap, but with very good reason: the Hilton San Gabriel offers a great location in the heart of the Chinese district in San Gabriel/Alhambra/Monterey Park.
The hotel is very well maintained - "clean" is an understatement.
The staff is friendly, professional, and well-trained.

We were introduced to Medeline (manager of special events) who was a joy to work with.
She collaborated with all of our wedding vendors, helped us through the careful selection of our wedding features and deails, and was an overall great hospitality professional to work with.
The staff at the Hilton San Gabriel will truly go out of their way to make your party a great success.

It is impossible to say enough good things about the San Gabriel Hilton.
They are without a doubt the top contender in hospitality in the San Gabriel/Monterey Park/Alhambra area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you had an enjoyable Wedding Reception at the hotel. This was a very special day for you and I’m glad that Medeline was able to make this possible for you. Hopefully you can come back for your Anniversary.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Gabriel
#3 of 4 in Monterey Park
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#4 of 12 in Rosemead

Been to Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel? Share your experiences!