“What a week!”

Holiday Inn Express San Dimas
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in San Dimas
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I recently spent a week here while on business. The room I had was very large and comfortable - very clean too. The staff was friendly, all of them. This hotel is situated in a very nice, safe area. Plenty of good restaurants within walking distance. I liked the style of the hotel with a gated courtyard that had a large pool and very nice hot tub. The breakfast was included in the price of the room. It was buffet style and varied from day to day with a great selection of food to choose from. Staying at this Holiday Inn was a nice surprise, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed June 10, 2012

First, I am not a fan of hotels where the room access is to the exterior. I like the "security" of interior hallways. So this is strike against this property. I also don't like the smell of disinfectants as the cleaning agent. Another strike against this hotel.
Moving beyond that, the room was comfortable and the staff was friendly. The breakfast person was very pleasant. I like that. Who needs a grump the first thing in the morning. Breakfast started promptly at 6:00 am. I like that as well. I don't like the 6:30 am breakfast many properties offer.
Check out was efficient and pleasant.
I liked the location, right off the 57 with several eating options within walking distance.

I did not get a Platinum upgrade.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Dear pestpilot,

Thank you so much for being a Platinum Priority member and for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased that you mentioned our friendly staff and you have enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering superior service and are happy doing so. I am sorry to hear that you were not able to get the Platinum upgrade. Rest assured that your comments will be documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Janice A.
Case Manager

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We decided to get a king suite since the cost was not that much more between it and the regular king room. We arrived very late (almost midnight), but the staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was neat, comfortable and quite (despite being next to the elevator/stairs). The hotel appeared to be fairly full as we had to park down in the extra lot at the lower part of the building, but I was able to walk through the beautiful grounds...the gardenia and star of jasmine smelled wonderful in the night air. The only downside to our room was the refrigerator temperature knob was broken when we got there, but the fridge worked. The breakfast buffet was a welcome surprise, I have never seen an automatic pancake maker before, but it really did make a good pancake in less than a minute.

Room Tip: Our suite was on the third floor right by the elevator/stairs but it was extremely quite.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We stayed here from March 9-16 during our spring break and can say that my kids were definitely happy. They were able to go downstairs for breakfast, while my husband and I slept a little longer. The staff was gracious enough to take care of them and help them with their breakfast choices. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be back again. I travel on business quite a bit and this will be my choice the next time I am in the area. Thank you for doing a great job!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Stayed here for three nights last week for business. Stayed in a king single on the third (top) floor. Got a higher floor room hoping for a bit of a view, but the room only had one window, opening on the balcony. Long and narrow, it was pretty dark. However, it was tomb-like quiet and I slept like a rock. Also, because I was in a corner room, I couldn't get a consistent wireless signal. No problem for me, however, because there was an ethernet cable on the desk, and the connection on it was smoking fast (for me, being from the sticks, at least--25mb/sec). Others may be annoyed, however, so if you want wireless ask for a room near the router.

Other than that, the place was good. The exercise room is totally unmarked and hard to find (in the far corner from the lobby on the first floor), but is well maintained and has a range of equipment. Breakfast was well stocked with good service. (Example; they had no decaf out, but the gal brewed me some as soon as I asked. The next two mornings, they had decaf out for me from the get-go). Had some cleaning done, and they got it back to me the same day. Housekeeping kept the room in top shape. Overall, great service--would get a top rating except for the wireless.

Lots of good restaurants in walking distance. I recommend Top Thai over on Bonita, just on the other side of the tracks.,

Room Tip: If you want reliable wireless, ask for a room near the router. Test the wireless in your room befor...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed at this Holiday Inn Express from 4/12/12 to 4/16/12. Business has brought me to the area five times since last summer and I usually stay at a Comfort Inn. Reading the reviews on TripAdvisor and the rate we were able to get (Government) really closed the deal for us.

I checked in to the hotel at 5 pm on Thursday. The lobby was large, open and bright. The young lady at the front desk quickly checked me in without incident and informed me about breakfast hours and free Wifi. When I arrived there were only a handful of cars in the parking lot. The rooms were build facing into a courtyard that contained a pool, hot tub and a grassy area. The pool and hot tub were fenced-in and there were several patio chairs and lounge chairs.

Our room, 129, was on the first floor about mid-way down the corridor. The "suite" had a separate living area with sofa, coffee table, end table, high back wicker chair and a desk with chair. On the other side of a half wall was the TV console, flat screen Philips tv with DirectTV, king-size bed and a settee used as a luggage rack. The granite "kitchenette" was made up of a small fridge, bar sink, shelves, microwave and single-serve coffee maker. The closet was behind a full-length mirrored door and the bathroom counter and shower were also granite. Free amenities included coffee, tea, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and toothpaste (available in the lobby). The bed had two types of pillows, firm and soft, identifiable by the words embroidered on the pillow case. There was no traditional bedspread like in other hotels, but a small throw was at the foot of the bed and a duvet was sandwiched between two flat sheets. There was an extra, large blanket in the closet but we never used it. Each night stand had a lamp and one had an alarm clock, with the phone being on the other. There was also a hairdryer, iron and board and about 8 wooden hangers. The bed was really comfortable and clean. I thought the bathroom was a little dim, but the shower more than made up for it. A heads up, the bathroom light switch has a motion detector, so if you're in the shower for too long without making much movement the lights will turn off on you. This almost started WWIII between my partner and I. The maid gave us new towels and fresh soap everyday but we never used the lotion or the shampoo.

The first night we had no neighbors as the front desk was smart enough to space us out. The following night our upstairs neighbors were quite loud and you could easily hear foot traffic above our room. Luckily they were only there one night. That was the only noisy incident that I could remember.

For some reason the hotel seemed much busier during the week than on the weekend. Thursday night and Friday night the parking lots were almost full, but then on the weekend it was just about 6 or so cars. Very rarely would I see someone else in the corridor but I did see one guest take advantage of the lounge chairs and hot tub.

Also available in the hotel is a guest laundry. The hotel provides a laundry detergent and fabric softener vending machine, but when I went to use it it was out of soap. I called the front desk and the lady told me they usually keep some up front. On this occasion they were out up there too and she gave me a refund. I was about to go to a local laundromat on East Arrow, about 3 miles away, and buy some powder and fabric sheets.

I see a lot of people complaining about the breakfast, but we liked most of what they served and were grateful that it was a full breakfast bar, not continental breakfast. On weekdays, the breakfast opens at 6:30am, and on the weekend it opens at 7am, something to note. Friday morning we were the first ones in the breakfast area and got fresh fruit, coffee, yogurt and cinnamon buns. The coffee cups had lids so my partner was able to take his to work, but I brought my own reusable cup from home and filled it up. I noticed there were also eggs, sausage, waffles, cold cereals, hot cereals, pastries, tea, milk and various fruit juices. This was one of the most complete breakfast bars I have seen, especially in this price range. If the breakfast bar was not up to your taste Starbucks and Panera were close by as well as IHOP.

We very much enjoyed staying in this hotel and we even extended our stay by one day. The a/c worked well, the black-out curtains very much appreciated and we were able to get some fresh air by opening the window. The area contains several chain restaurants, a Target, Lowes, and Trader Joe's. We bought some beverages and kept them in the fridge along with some snacks for late night munching. San Dimas seemed like a very quiet and settled community and we would love to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs suite to avoid hearing foot traffic. Avoid rooms close to the lobby as there is...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Every time I stay at a Holiday Inn I am reminded of the great quality you get for the price. This hotel has quiet, clean, comfy rooms. The rooms have lots of amenities like a mini-fridge, microwave oven, coffee maker, hairdryer, large bath towels, 2-layer shower curtains, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. The TV has a gazillion cable channels. There is free Wifi in the rooms and two free Internet-connected computers in the lobby. A free breakfast includes sausage, hard-boiled eggs, and pancakes. The staff is friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Claremont
Comfort Inn Pomona
Comfort Inn Pomona
#2 of 15 in Pomona

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Dimas? Share your experiences!