“Comfortable and Convenient Stay”

Holiday Inn Express San Dimas
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in San Dimas
San Antonio, TX
“Comfortable and Convenient Stay”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed at this Holiday Inn Express from 4/12/12 to 4/16/12. Business has brought me to the area five times since last summer and I usually stay at a Comfort Inn. Reading the reviews on TripAdvisor and the rate we were able to get (Government) really closed the deal for us.

I checked in to the hotel at 5 pm on Thursday. The lobby was large, open and bright. The young lady at the front desk quickly checked me in without incident and informed me about breakfast hours and free Wifi. When I arrived there were only a handful of cars in the parking lot. The rooms were build facing into a courtyard that contained a pool, hot tub and a grassy area. The pool and hot tub were fenced-in and there were several patio chairs and lounge chairs.

Our room, 129, was on the first floor about mid-way down the corridor. The "suite" had a separate living area with sofa, coffee table, end table, high back wicker chair and a desk with chair. On the other side of a half wall was the TV console, flat screen Philips tv with DirectTV, king-size bed and a settee used as a luggage rack. The granite "kitchenette" was made up of a small fridge, bar sink, shelves, microwave and single-serve coffee maker. The closet was behind a full-length mirrored door and the bathroom counter and shower were also granite. Free amenities included coffee, tea, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and toothpaste (available in the lobby). The bed had two types of pillows, firm and soft, identifiable by the words embroidered on the pillow case. There was no traditional bedspread like in other hotels, but a small throw was at the foot of the bed and a duvet was sandwiched between two flat sheets. There was an extra, large blanket in the closet but we never used it. Each night stand had a lamp and one had an alarm clock, with the phone being on the other. There was also a hairdryer, iron and board and about 8 wooden hangers. The bed was really comfortable and clean. I thought the bathroom was a little dim, but the shower more than made up for it. A heads up, the bathroom light switch has a motion detector, so if you're in the shower for too long without making much movement the lights will turn off on you. This almost started WWIII between my partner and I. The maid gave us new towels and fresh soap everyday but we never used the lotion or the shampoo.

The first night we had no neighbors as the front desk was smart enough to space us out. The following night our upstairs neighbors were quite loud and you could easily hear foot traffic above our room. Luckily they were only there one night. That was the only noisy incident that I could remember.

For some reason the hotel seemed much busier during the week than on the weekend. Thursday night and Friday night the parking lots were almost full, but then on the weekend it was just about 6 or so cars. Very rarely would I see someone else in the corridor but I did see one guest take advantage of the lounge chairs and hot tub.

Also available in the hotel is a guest laundry. The hotel provides a laundry detergent and fabric softener vending machine, but when I went to use it it was out of soap. I called the front desk and the lady told me they usually keep some up front. On this occasion they were out up there too and she gave me a refund. I was about to go to a local laundromat on East Arrow, about 3 miles away, and buy some powder and fabric sheets.

I see a lot of people complaining about the breakfast, but we liked most of what they served and were grateful that it was a full breakfast bar, not continental breakfast. On weekdays, the breakfast opens at 6:30am, and on the weekend it opens at 7am, something to note. Friday morning we were the first ones in the breakfast area and got fresh fruit, coffee, yogurt and cinnamon buns. The coffee cups had lids so my partner was able to take his to work, but I brought my own reusable cup from home and filled it up. I noticed there were also eggs, sausage, waffles, cold cereals, hot cereals, pastries, tea, milk and various fruit juices. This was one of the most complete breakfast bars I have seen, especially in this price range. If the breakfast bar was not up to your taste Starbucks and Panera were close by as well as IHOP.

We very much enjoyed staying in this hotel and we even extended our stay by one day. The a/c worked well, the black-out curtains very much appreciated and we were able to get some fresh air by opening the window. The area contains several chain restaurants, a Target, Lowes, and Trader Joe's. We bought some beverages and kept them in the fridge along with some snacks for late night munching. San Dimas seemed like a very quiet and settled community and we would love to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs suite to avoid hearing foot traffic. Avoid rooms close to the lobby as there is...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Menlo Park, CA
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Every time I stay at a Holiday Inn I am reminded of the great quality you get for the price. This hotel has quiet, clean, comfy rooms. The rooms have lots of amenities like a mini-fridge, microwave oven, coffee maker, hairdryer, large bath towels, 2-layer shower curtains, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. The TV has a gazillion cable channels. There is free Wifi in the rooms and two free Internet-connected computers in the lobby. A free breakfast includes sausage, hard-boiled eggs, and pancakes. The staff is friendly and efficient.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Lancaster, California
Reviewed January 25, 2012

It is a perfect example of Holiday Inn Express Hotel. The room is very spacious with very comfortable beds.
Breakfast was OK. I watched five big men eating corn flakes with milk, because all of the omlet and sausages were gone by 6:30am. After about 20 minutes hostess brought some more food. To my taste it was bad selection for breakfast. HIE stuck in the past. They still serve corn flakes and some colored bagels cereal. Why not serve granola? The bread was a sort of Great Value Walmart bread meant for people who careless about their health. Eggs had a taste of a powdered kind of eggs. Milk is only fat free and 2% fat. I would rather have 4% organic. I think HIE should have a second look at the breakfast menu.
The hotel is pretty small and located in good neighborhood. Would love to come back there in summer.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ArtRussianMom
scottsdale
Reviewed January 16, 2012

The room was fine. Up to HIE standards but our first breakfast was Sunday at 7 am when they open. Hardly anything was ready and we were in a rush. I was disappointed. Our next breakfast on Monday when we arrived an hour after they opened all was in order.

The other problem was check in. The woman had a bad cold and looked like she didn't sleep the night before. I had to clean everything that she handled including the room keys and my hands so I didn't catch what she had. She should not have been at the front desk. By the way I'm not a clean freak nor do I usually notice such things but this incident disturbed me.

I've stayed here before and I will stay here again. There are good restaurants in the area and convenient to the freeway..

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights January 7th and 8th 2012. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was nice, but needs more shelving in the shower. It had 2 little triangles for soap and shampoo but that was it. Nothing to hang the wash rag on. The TV was a flat screen and great with Direct TV. The room was clean but It was stuffy though overnight. It would have been nice if we could have opened the window even just a crack but not possible. The AC unit in the room was very noisy. How people sleep with that racket is beyond me. Good location with Red Robin, Appplebees, Starbucks and other restaurants. The front desk people were very nice. My husband said the breakfast was ok but don't eat the sausage, not good at all. Free internet was good, also the microwave and refrigerator. We may stay here again next time. Comfort Inn and Motel 6 were very nearby.

Room Tip: If you want a room away from the main street, ask for room 2 teens like 219, 218, etc
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express San Dimas for a couple of days for business.

Pro's:
*New rooms (so new I don't think that my room had ever been stayed in and the new smell was almost overwhelming)
*Cleanliness -- no complaints
*Size: large sitting area with couch and chair and desk, king bed, kitchenette w/ micro, refrig and sink, vanity area, and large bathroom.
*Very friendly staff on all shifts
*Extensive breakfast offerings
*Easily accessible business center although limited with only two computers and printers
*Location: Near many restaurants, shops and major highways

Con's
*Doors open on the outside pool courtyard lending to a motel feel
*Traffic could be heard periodically in the rooms (loud vehicles such as motorcycles / trucks
*Hallway foot traffic also loud
*Price is a bit high in comparison with other hotels in the area

I would stay here again but as the other reviewer stated, the price is high for a Holiday Inn Express.

Liked — Location, newness
Disliked — Doors that opened to the outside

Room Tip: Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Roseville, California
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Nice HIEx property, usual chain restaurants close by. Standard HIEx room. Went down for breakfast this morning and there were no cinnamon rolls, HIEX's signature breakfast item. Breakfast room attendant had no explanation. Not a major deal, but I stay at HIEx's all the time and this is the first time this has happened.

• Stayed July 2011
Red Roof Inn San Dimas - Fairplex
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Claremont
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - San Dimas
La Quinta Inn & Suites Pomona

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Dimas? Share your experiences!