“Hampton Inn Trip over Labor Day weekend”

Hampton Inn and Suites San Clemente
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Costa Mesa, California
“Hampton Inn Trip over Labor Day weekend”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our friends were camping at Camp Pendleton over Labor Day weekend. We had no desire to camp in the heat wave Southern California was experiencing, so we booked a one bedroom suite at the Hampton. The property is about 2 miles from the San Onofre/Camp Pendleton beaches.

We arrived around 3:30pm (we had just left Pala Casino earlier that day). The ladies at the front counter were very nice. Originally, they put us in a room on the second floor, but it did not have a balcony and it faced the 405. We went back down and they were able to move us to room 214, also a one bedroom suite, but it was considered an upgrade, as it was considered an "executive suite". It was quite nice and it had a balcony that looked over the golf course.

The beds were typical Hampton comfy. There was a wet bar that included a microwave and a fridge. We did not use the microwave, and the fridge - well it FROZE everything we put in it. frozen waters, frozen limes, frozen grapes, frozen OJ. Not a big deal as far as we were concerned. The bathroom sink was next to the wetbar, in the bedroom area. The toilet and the basic size tub/shower combo were separated by a door. Everything was very clean, but the tub isn't exactly a bubble bath tub. BUT - we were staying there in order to be with our friends at the CP campground during the day. It was very nice to come home after a long day in the sun, smelling all sea salty and campfirey, and take a nice COLD shower. The weather was sooo hot over the weekend.

We slept in an A/C room whilst our friends were sweating it out in tents and campers. Truly, one of our better plans!

We ate breakfast two of the mornings. Standard brekky fair - eggs, bacon, ham, toast, etc. Hay it is good and it is FREE.

We told the housekeeper each day that we did not need them to service the room (still tipping $5 of course). We didn't see the point as we weren't there except for sleepy hours.

We will definitely stay here again. In fact, I think we will stay here at the end of September for a birthday party that is being held at the irish pub two blocks away.

Well done again Hampton Inn!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here for a wedding, good hotel, always love how Hampton inns have a good breakfast. Location was really good, right off I-5 and very convenient to the cool little downtown of San Clemente. Beach access is pretty close, maybe a mile away or so. There is a golf course on the back side of the hotel that is nice. There is a parking garage under the hotel. The is also a small pool that faces towards the golf course.

Room Tip: Rooms either face the golf course or towards the ocean
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bear, Delaware
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have family in the area and have stayed here several times.
Hotel is very clean, well taken care of, teriffic staff. During our last stay they were replacing all the mattresses and couches in the rooms.
The hotel is in a very central location, easy access to RT 5, several places to eat within walking distance.
OC Tavern was probably our favorite!!
We spent many days/evenings on main street shopping and the pier area in San Clemente which is about a 5 minute drive with parking along drive or at the pier area.

Room Tip: We have stayed on the top two floors facing the view toward the ocean. Its not an ocean front hotel...
victorville, United States
Reviewed August 28, 2013

nice hotel, nice rooms, comfy beds, good amenities. The hotel was nicely renovated and who doesn't like a free real breakfast in the morning. I would stay here again if I was doing anything nearby. The price I felt was a bit high, but that's just my opinion. If you can get a room for a decent price I would say go for it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed here in mid August. I am always looking to stay in a hotel that has a separate bedroom (suite) since my kids are so young and still nap during the day. This was my first time staying at a Hampton. I usually stay at Homewood Suites. I prefer Homewood, but this Hampton was clean and the staff was very friendly. The room was clean and the beds were not as comfortable as I hoped (we had two double beds). But, the staff was great and the breakfast is so convenient when you're traveling with two small children. What I appreciate is the variety of items for breakfast: waffles, yogurt, fruit, oatmeal, eggs...tons of stuff! This is not your continental breakfast. I also appreciated the late check out (you have to ask for it and also be a Hilton Honor member). But, walls are very thin, I could conversations and other things I prefer not to hear in the middle of the night!

This was our first time staying in San Clemente, and we really liked the location of the hotel. You can't walk to the beach, but it's only about a 5 minute drive and the beach parking is only $2 hour. also, the pier is about a 15 minute drive so it was definitely convenient. I guess I was expecting a little more for the price we paid - not sure if this is because I'm comparing it to Homewood. Lastly, the pool is VERY small. It states 15 is the maximum capacity. So those looking for a big pool, this is not the place. Nonetheless, I would recommend this hotel to people who are looking for a family atmosphere.

Room Tip: Front rooms face freeway but you get a sunset and the ocean view rear rooms face golf course but yo...
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Noce hotel, clean rooms, friendly staff - even let us check in early . Breakfast was great, location was nice with unique shops and close to the beach. Staff helped my sister- in- law with some sewing needs for an upcoming wedding. Would definitely stay here again.

La Grande, Oregon
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We spent 4 nights in the middle of August, 2013. We were a party of 5 - my wife and three teenaged girls (19, 18, 15). I will rate, in order, the top five reasons we liked most about our stay:

1. The staff. They were incredible. EVERYONE was friendly - from the manager to staff at every level. Every time we saw a staff person - front lobby, breakfast, housekeeping, maintenance... everyone was friendly and professional... everyone. And not just to my wife and me, but to our teenagers as well.

2. Room. The hotel is older but our room was great and clean. We had a suite in the back overlooking the golf course and the hotel swimming pool. It was very quiet. We also liked that all bedspread COVERS are washed and cleaned for every guest.( I have found too many stained bed covers at other hotels). This was such a pleasant surprise! The beds were also very comfortable.

3. Free breakfast with plenty of options. Everyday we were there we found new options. The breakfast was great with lots of variety. And if you forgot what I wrote above: The breakfast staff was incredibly helpful and friendly.

4. Location. Close to the freeway and close to the beach and the pier.

5. The pool and hot tub. The kids used it every night. Always clean and well lighted. We and they felt safe using it.

Finally, It is an older hotel property and has only one elevator. Sometimes you had to wait a minute for it. But we didn't care. Being in a comfortable hotel where you felt the staff really appreciated you being there made us feel like we were honored guests. After we left everyone in our car was talking about how much we enjoyed our stay.

Would we stay there again? Absolutely!

Thank you Hampton Inn in San Clemente!

John from Oregon

Room Tip: Front has ocean views but also faces freeway. Great views but you hear traffic when the patio door i...