“Dinner”

New Mandarin Garden
Ranked #138 of 217 Restaurants in San Clemente
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: As a family-owned restaurant in business for 30 years, New Mandarin Garden Chinese Restaurant takes pride in creating authentic dishes from award winning and favorite family recipes. The restaurant serves regular menu from Monday to Saturday and offers Sunday Brunch (buffet style). It's a great place to celebrate holidays and anniversaries.
San Clemente, California
“Dinner”
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Always excellent service and great Chinese cusine. Best deal for dinner in Orange County. The best part about this place is that it is located in San Clemente.

Las Vegas, Nevada
“My first experience with Chinese food...27 years ago.”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I grew up in a bland food family. We never ate out. Mom only cooked the same handful of things over and over. I moved out when I was 18 to San Clemente. When I was 19 a coworker was literally appalled that I never had Chinese food. She took me here that night.

I let her order. She ordered enough for a family, because she wanted me to try all her favorites.

O...m...G!!!

I have been in love with Chinese food...and this place in particular...ever since..

I've since moved more north, but have dragged many people here. I introduced my kids to Chinese food with this restaurant...when they were toddlers!

They've been eating hot and sour soup ever since! Ever seen a toddler eat hot and sour soup? These people have.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Kerry F
NOVI, MICHIGAN
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always Excellent”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My family has been dining at New Mandarin Garden Restaurant for many years. The restaurant is owned by Jack and Nancy who know my mother as Mrs YumYum. Many of the dishes on their menu are excellent. I love the Sweet and Pungent Shrimp served in the evening only...excellent, this dish is consistently great! Our family enjoy the egg foo young, green beans with chicken, lemon fish, etc. Larry, Allen, and Alex are terrific waiters. Larry knows that my mother enjoys a glass of plum wine before dinner. The young woman with dark hair that helps at the tables is very good, too...I am sorry not to remember your name. My brother lives in Vista and Mom in SJC. The rest of us live in Michigan and Missouri. Our visits are only complete with the delicious food served here. Most sincerely, Mary Juneman M. Oberts, Michigan, Mrs Yum Yum's daughter

• Visited April 2013
San Clemente
“Used to Love it, but now... Not so good :-(”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

For the first few years they were in business, I was a fan. But lately they haven't impressed me and lastly it was so bad that I have vowed 'Never Again!'. The food has become mediocre and the sodium content has gone through the roof! I have an aversion to an ingredient in their 'house' soup and request a serving without it. In the past this has been no problem, but the last couple of times you would have thought my request over and above the capacity of the kitchen. Mind you, I never said I wouldn't pay for the 'extra' effort. This last time their 'special' soup was so salty that I couldn't/wouldn't take a second taste. When I informed the waiter he reacted as if it was my fault for requesting it.

Beyond the soup, lately the food just has nothing 'exciting' about it; kind of like the Denny's of Chinese food. There are plenty of other Asian options available in the San Clemente/Dana Point area, so I would recommend you try somewhere other than New Mandarin Garden. I know I will.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank CalifBeachBum
Cutar, Spain
“Take-out”
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Nice take-out. Tucked away in a little shopping center off of Avenida Palizada is this good Chinese. Had House Special Fried Rice and Jade Chicken. Both very fresh and very good. Would be a regular if it was close to home.