“convenient, reasonable and pleasant surprises” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Little Inn by the Beach

The Little Inn by the Beach
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Dana Point, California
“convenient, reasonable and pleasant surprises”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The white duvet, fluffy pillows, granite counter top, covered free parking, new tiled bathrooms and sunset view were pleasant surprises. I was on a staycation while I had company at my pad and just wanted a place that I could walk to restaurants, ride my bike from to the beach trail along the ocean and have a fridge/microwave.

The room was clean. I utilized the Free Wi Fi, in room snacks and on premise BBQ grill. The rooms at the beach are pricey. The National chain hotel which was closer to downtown (8 minute walk) was $189 for the same night I paid $73 here and didn't include breakfast or WI Fi.

I hit several really nice restaurants in a two block radius including El Mariachi and Happa J's. I enjoyed the walk to the beach and loved the convenient access to the highway in the morning when I didn't have time.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd or 3rd floor room as they have the best views. I liked being on the end so I could us...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Oxnard, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I travel to visit friends in San Clemente two or three times a year and we always stay here. The rooms are spacious and always clean. Traffic noise is minimal and everything is within easy walking and/or driving distance.

Staff is friendly and courteous, plus the outdoor balcony/patio is perfect for afternoon wine/appetizers to hare with friends.....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Monroe, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Close to freeway but good sound proofing except when children were running upstairs. We had a few issues which the owners did their best to resolve. They gave us a discount for the things they couldn't fix. The coffee was good, but nothing especially exciting for the continental breakfast. One car parking per room. Close to beach, town, restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank RLKfromIda
Riverside, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I traveled to San Clemente to attend my nephew's wedding on the beach. We only stayed there the one night, fortunately. The one-bed room was clean and of average size. There was a small refrigerator that was noisy enough at night to make getting to sleep a little difficult and a microwave we did not use. There is no central AC/Heat but there is a wall unit you would have to run constantly to avoid opening the old single pane window because of the traffic noise from the close-by freeway. My wife says they should name it "The Little Inn By The Freeway".
Parking is very limited and tight. A notice posted in the elevator warns that if you park at any of the nearby businesses you car will be towed. Don't do that. When we returned from the reception at around 11:00 pm that night we had to park on a side street. There were a few open spaces but they are so narrow I would not have been able to open the car door to exit. There was one of the few spaces open in the small parking garage but a large concrete support pillar prevented me from getting my mid-size car into the parking space. All things said our stay there was just ok. Next time we stay in the area we'll spend a few extra dollars for better accommodations. There are plenty to choose from.
BTW, we did have a wonderful breakfast the next morning at The Fisherman's Restaurant And Bar on the pier. The food and service was very good and so was the Bloody Mary.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

The only thing this hotel has going for it is that it is right off the freeway. Having said that, it is RIGHT OFF THE FREEWAY. Sitting out on the patio enjoying the weather is ruined by the constant drone of vehicles passing by. The one ice machine serving all 3 floors was routinely empty. The remote for our TV was missing its back and the battery fell out. We couldn't change volume or channel all night until it was programmed again. The girl at the front desk got us what we needed, but didn't seem happy about it. The rooms are extremely dated as well. If you are only looking for a bed to sleep in, come here. If you expect a bit more, look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012

Travelers are raving about these San Clemente hotels

Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My son and I recently stayed here for 3 days while on college visits in LA/San Diego. It was very convenient to get between both cities, and the rooms were comfortable and a good price. However...parking was free on the property, but crowded; the "continental breakfast" was some granola bars, a few apples and bananas, and small, packaged bagels - walk across the street to Surfin Donuts or the cafe, both were great. It was only a short drive to the beach or pier which was nice. Overall it was a good place when on a budget and not planning to be in the hotel much anyway.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lake Katrine, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I recently stayed here with my family of 5. Loved, loved, loved this place! Excellent rooms, great location in orange county, fantastic beach access. Inn is older, but we found it quite charming. I hope to be near this area again to use this inn in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family