“Great getaway”

GreenLeadersSilver level
speechoc
“Great getaway”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We booked this unit through our timeshare and are pleased with the place. Clean and roomy for a couple. Would be close quarters for 4 people, except for maybe a family. Great location, waking up everyday to sounds and view of the ocean cannot be beat. In December it's not crowded or loud but I would imagine in summer it's crazy. The train was not that big of a deal as the bedroom was in back of unit, but keep that in mind. For those not familiar with area, it is on the southern edge of orange county. It's freeway close, local shops and eats. I will be back!

Room Tip: If available get ocean side room. The back units might have less train noise if you are sensitive to...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank speechoc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 14, 2011

When I checked in there was something wrong with my reservation through the timeshare company I purchased through, but the person at the front desk corrected it immediately which was a huge relief since we drove all the way from Vegas. The rooms were clean and well equipped. Huge balconies with amazing views. Beach was literally across the street! Shops and restaurants are within walking distance. Loved it here and will definitely be coming back soon. Thank you for making it an amazing vacation!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael N
North Royalton, Ohio
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Right across the street from San Clemente pier.

Places to eat and drink within a very short walk.

Very clean and comfortable resort.

The building plan has many openings to the sky.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We so enjoyed a week here. The Ocean Festival was happening when we arrived & it was great fun. Our one bedroom unit on the third floor with a huge balcony was wonderful. Everything was clean, & everyone on the staff with whom we interacted was friendly and efficient. Ceiling fans and open windows for cross ventilation made the unit comfortable in spite of having no air conditioning. We obtained this unit as a timeshare exchange through RCI, and thought it was comparable to the Hawaii unit we traded for it. There is a $9/day resort fee which covers parking and wireless internet. The internet connection was frustratingly slow and intermittent, but was useful when it was working properly. Having onsite parking is great in this location, and being able to just walk across the street to the pier and beach was fantastic. There's a great walking trail along the beach/railroad tracks in both directions. There are good restaurants within walking distance. We enjoyed the Fisherman's Cafe on the pier, Nick's and Avila's El Ranchito in the village on DelMar Ave. There appeared to be a Farmer's Market along DelMar on Sunday mornings. The resort provides beach chairs, umbrellas, and beach towels for free. They rent boogie boards for $5/day. The kitchen is fully equipped with dishes, pans, utensils, dishwasher & liquid detergent, as well as starter packs of coffee, tea, popcorn, and hot chocolate. The train comes by several times during the day, but not late at night, so the noise is tolerable. We checked in on Sunday for a week's stay. On Tuesday they exchanged our used towels for clean ones and emptied the trash. On Thursday there was a mid-week cleaning of the whole unit. There is a coin-operated laundry room on site. Parking is secure on the ground level and they give you a garage door opener to get into the parking area. We loved the place and hope to return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hendersonfan
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 8, 2011

The treatment I received when I encountered problems with my room was unacceptable. Around 3am my bathroom’s ceiling pretty much caved (about 3x3 feet) in from water buildup from an overflowing tub from the room above. For the next 4 hours the ceiling continued to drip which ruined my sleep for the night. When I went downstairs in the morning I voiced the damage and complained about the disturbance to representative at the front desk when a manager stepped out from her office and said “There was no way that water was dripping for that long,” and started to argue with me with additional aggressiveness. She immediately put me on the defensive with her comments and suggested that I had no idea what I was talking about. The front desk representative mentioned that she’d waive the maintenance fees for the room but it’s been a month and there still hasn’t been any compensation.
When I go on vacation I expect my experience to be close to perfect because I am paying top dollar for it. When a problem occurs, nothing can be perfect all the time, I would expect to be treated as a valued customer and compensated for the inconvenience; In this case management seemed to protect the money that I had already paid over any experience that I had, and then insulted me. I will never do business with this resort again. Terrible service!

Room Tip: Just go to another resort
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank spolsdoff
Flat Rock, North Carolina
Reviewed February 10, 2011

First of all the location is great. A VERY short walk to the beach and Pier. Secure parking is provided. The rooms are recently remodeled in the past couple years. The service was good. Beach towels, umbrellas, and chairs are provided at no charge. Along with sand toys for the kiddies. Clean Rooms and friendly staff. We try to make it back every Winter.

My only complaint would be the fitted sheets on the bed are too small for a pillow top matress. They continue to come off during the night and you have to pull them back down every morning.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BluesTraveler75
Gates of Hell
Reviewed August 25, 2009

On the plus side, the hotel is located close to the beach as you drop down from Hwy. 1. It is more of a San Diego feel, than Orange County. You are close to the 5 Fwy. so you can get around easily. If you surf, you're very close to Trestles, San Onofre, etc. which makes the dawn patrol especially effective. You are less than a block away from a good restaurant (White Horses is closing soon, to be replaced with an Italian place). There is the main drag for shopping, restaurants and cafes. It doesn't lack for atmosphere, but there's where you'll want to think about it. Its super touristy and very over priced.

The Pier area is very busy and our room was incredibly loud. There is no air conditioning and being by the beach it can be humid and if it is warm you need the breeze. Not all rooms have a view of the ocean, and if you don't have one, forget about it. Being a beach town, things close early, but that doesn't stop revelers from making drunken noise at 3AM., which happened a lot. There's a nice place in Newport that puts you right next to a beach an a pier and even with lots of traffic isn't as disruptive, by way of comparison. Once you have had the novelty experience of dining on the pier and checked out the main drag, there isn't much else to do, except try to relax. Again, with the noise and traffic (often including Harley's revving their engines) I have to say there are better places to do this.

The place itself for the money seems a bit "cheap" and lax about service. Granted its a time share, but we kicked off our shoes upon arrival and before leaving the room had dark black gunk on our feet-most likely from car exhaust wafting through the windows. I can't honestly say that there were any major problems, but there were enough minor ones to add up to a sense of annoyance (the card key system doesn't work properly, the garage clearance is only 6'4" and we narrowly averted a disaster, the flat screen TV mounted incomprehensively in the upper right hand corner of the wall next to the ceiling,

In short, we felt this place was essentially dingy, touristy and not at all a bargain for the money. The bad parts of a beach community seem to have rubbed off.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple