“GREAT PLACE, GREAT HOST, INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE”

Always Inn San Clemente B&B
Ranked #2 of 7 San Clemente B&B and Inns
San Mateo, California
“GREAT PLACE, GREAT HOST, INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My wife and me stayed at Always Inn B&B during the Christmas and New Year season.

I have stayed at numerous B&B's and this one is the best. The location is incredible. A short walk and you are at the beach. Numerous local shops, restaurants and art galleries are a 2 minute walk from the door.

Freda is an incredible host. She took my wife to the spa and shopping on days when I had to work. When we went to Catalina Island, she drove us there and picked us up. She showed me and my wiife around local area introducing us to local restaurants. The food is incredible and Freda went above and beyond to ensure we had anything and everything that we wanted.

I recommend this B&B to everyone I meet. There is no place that will take care of you better than Freda's Always Inn B&B.

This will not be our last stay there.

Best B&B ever.

Room Tip: Any room is a great room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
California, United States
Reviewed February 4, 2014

This place is great. Very cozy and the owner, Frieda, is wonderful. She truly made us feel like we were family just staying over at her home. The rooms are nice, the location is great and the breakfast is tremendous. She offers military discounts and also does parties. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2014
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I stayed two nights over the Thanksgiving holiday at the Idyllwild location for this same business. When i arrived the cabin was ice cold... and the furnace did not work. I spent quite some time trying to get the pilot light lit and could not. Others came to help and they could not get it fixed. Then we got some firewood and tried to heat the cabin with the wood stove. The chimney was plugged and the cabin filled with smoke. We opened all the windows obviously choosing the cold air over the smoke. Long story short... we spent a cold night in Idyllwild. This was how i spent my Thanksgiving evening this year. And this is not my major complaint. After much correspondence with this owner... we were still charged for this night. I don't have (good) words for this treatment other than it is simply bad business. I would never stay here or at any of the Always Inn locations again for this reason. The cabin would have been fine had it had been warm. But the owners actions have left a sour taste in my mouth.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Paul P
fredadanzig, Owner at Always Inn San Clemente B&B, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Paul and Rachel, you are not reviewing your experience at Always Inn San Clemente, which is ranked the #1 bed and breakfast in Orange County for the second year in a row. Assume you are somehow attempting to besmirch our reputation.

Please know that you have been billed correctly. No charge for the Thanksgiving night when the furnace died. Only charged for the two nights after that you stayed.

Furnaces sometimes die without warning, which is what happened when you arrived. The furnace certainly worked for the guests at Always Inn Idyllwild on 11.19 and 11.20. It worked for Martha Lopez when she prepped the Sleeping Beauty cottage for your arrival for Thanksgiving. The fireplace worked for guests 11.19 and 11.20 but you and your girlfriend said it didn’t two days later.

When I learned that our handyman couldn’t help, I offered a full refund – based on you checking out and checking into one of three places that had availability in Idyllwild. You and your girlfriend chose not to leave.

Yet she left numerous hateful messages on my cell phone threatening lawsuits and more.

I sent you an email confirmation that you acknowledged stating that checkout was at 11 a.m. Martha Lopez came to clean at 1 p.m. You both were still there. Martha came again at 4 p.m., you were still there. My neighbors will testify that you both were there after Martha left.

You were correctly billed for the second day, as I’ve advised you in numerous emails. If you choose to attack a sister bed and breakfast in your attempt to receive something for nothing, you are knocking on the wrong door.

I treat all my guests with kindness, caring and consideration. If you feel you didn’t receive that from us, it is because we observed you might be a scam artist.
Pony, Montana
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The Always Inn is in an ideal location in the beautiful, sleepy beach community of San Clemente. But the real appeal is the personal touches and the persona of the owner, Freda. Her breakfasts are superb, her knowledge of the area vast, and her kindness and willingness to connect unusual and very special. I was in San Clemente visiting my son and he was made to feel most welcome at the Inn anytime. Freda was genuinely interested in our lives and shared hers with us generously. The Always Inn has 3 separate lush outdoor spaces in which to eat, sit, and relax that are really lovely. If you love orchids, you are in for a treat. Freda is an absolute peach and I can honestly say, "the hostess with the mostest!"

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This little B&B in the heart of San Clemente is a real gem! Freda, the owner, treated my sisters and me as if we were long lost family members. She anticipated our every need before we even knew what we needed. What a wonderful way to start each morning, sitting on the deck enjoying Freda's expertly prepared and served breakfasts. With the Inn being located just off Del Mar, we were able to experience the flavor of San Clemente on foot. Freda became our chauffeur from the moment we left OC airport until we were returned there three fun filled days later. This may become the yearly retreat for we three sisters. Thank you, Freda

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My sisters and I recently stayed at the Always Inn. I had the best time and was extremely pleased with the location of the Inn and the services offered. The quaint Inn is owned by Freda, who is the inn keeper, chef, concierge, tour guide, photographer, driver, and "all-round do it all" business woman. Freda really went out of her way to make our visit to San Clemente enjoyable. She prepared an exceptional morning breakfast, and I don't mean just an ordinary breakfast, it was a two or three course meal; totally chef-quality.....YUMMY!!!! The eclectic décor of the Inn was very interesting and Indy, Freda's dog, made me feel right at home. The Always Inn should ALWAYS be considered the INN of choice when in the San Clemente area. Freda, Thank you so much.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This warm and charming home on a little-traveled side street in the heart of San Clemente is furnished and decorated in the most interesting manner. The hostess, Freda, is welcoming and trusting in addition to being a gifted cook. Her varied and complete breakfasts were more than we could eat - and we regretted not having bigger appetites. We loved staying in this little gem of a B&B, and will certainly put it on our itinerary when we come to San Clemente in the future.

Room Tip: There are three rooms, with names rather than numbers. Each looked comfortable and none were more qu...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends