New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 7 San Clemente B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“You'll Fall In Love!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

This bed and breakfast will steal your heart! It's warm and cozy, the food is fabulous, and the inn keeper, Freda, is so friendly you'll feel completely relaxed and welcome. What a great place for a home away from home! The location was right by all the cutest shops and most wonderful restaurants and it's just minutes from the pier and the beach. If you need to catch your breath and want to feel nurtured, this is the place to stay! You will be treated with TLC, made to feel special, and come on... who doesn't love that?

Room Tip: It was our first visit, so I don't know about all the rooms, but the "Ocean Dance" had...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Missy S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I live in San Clemente &have heard wonderful things about Freda's little inn, but had never been inside the inn or met her. The other day I had my carpets cleaned in my house & the company used chemicals that they weren't suppose to use. I came home to toxic fumes & had to get my pet, an raucous Amazon parrot, out of the house quickly before he became ill. I didn't want to go to some icky hotel so I called Always in a panic to see if I could bring him over for the night. I explained I had never taken him to a hotel & was afraid he would bother her or the other guests. She was so accomodating and friendly, she said to come on over and not to worry. I walked up the steps to the inn and the most incredible smell was comiing from her kitchen! She was cooking a delicous curry dinner for a guest who was running a marathon in the morning. She invited me to join them! Later on she began making homemade breakfast sausage for the following morning (she uses part pork, part beef and something else) and boy were they delicious! I told her I had to leave early in the morning because I take care of my ailing mother, and so she stuffed the homemade sausages in foil to put in my room fridge and said to help myself to the coffee so I wouldn't leave hungry! What a gem she is! What a gem this little inn is! I called her the next day to thank her and she invited me back on Sunday for brunch since I had to leave early! I feel like I have made a friend and I will definately stop by just to say hi. This little inn is clean and cozy, and Freda is delightful... If you don't go away feeling like you have a home away from home, your not staying at Fredas!!!!!

Room Tip: Freda insisted I stay in the room with a private porch so my bird could get fresh air or became loud...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LisaWeiss92673
Rome, Lazio, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

my son and I spended some days in august in that cute house and we still remember the delicious breakfast we had...Freda is a perfect chef and you can't leave on the table the fresh fruit salad or the omlette so rich....the place is so comfortable and clean and you fell at home...even better....we really suggest everybody a stop here!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Paola C
Dana Point, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed here during our stay cation. We were greeted by complimentary cookies and snacks. The room was decorated in beach style which is fitting since it was in a beach town after all! It was walking distance to any type of restaurant you could ask for, a cute playhouse across the way and walking distance to the beach. We woke up (after sleeping in) to the aroma of a home cooked meal. We sat out on the patio and were served the most delicious breakfast and coffee/tea. We were treated like guest in someone's home. Freda was so interesting and shared with us her many talents and gave us a tour of her garden on the property and gave us a brief lesson in gardening since she is a master gardener! If we ever need a stay cation again we will definitely stay with Alway Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adventuremom101509
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Thanks, Freda, for a wonderful weekend at the Inn. I think the warm chocolate cookies sold me from the first moment! The location in the center of town with the beach footsteps away is ideal. The inn is charming and the food is good.

Linda and Cam

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yaawhoooo
Lahore, Pakistan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I spent 2 nights there in July and just loved everything: the house with its charming artist taste, cosy atmosphere, family spirit, friendly patio/garden, central location vs the center of San Clemente and the sea side. Thanks to Freda and S... (cannot remember her name sorry) for their warm and friendly welcome. If you are lucky enough, you will have a bit of taste of Freda's cuisine. This is the bonus!
Aline Juillerat (from Switzerland)

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with access to the patio.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Corona, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was our first B&B experience. What a wonderful way to start. The Inn is cozy and charming. the Inn Keeper, Freda is Chaming and amazing as well. No need was left unserved. The rooms are quaint and very comfortable. Ours had a side patio that was very enjoyable. There is street side patio and front patio as well. Breakfasts were over the top amazing. All prepared by Freda from scratch with all local fresh ingredients that she pick up from the farmers market every Sunday. She uses all of her own spices in her cooking and the flavor is amazing. We had her prepare our anniverary dinner which she prepared to order just for us. She loves to cook and it definately shows. The location of the in is well situated and is close to the main shopping area of San Clemente and and a comfortable walk to the beach if you like walking. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple