“Great Place for Lunch”

Miyako Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #102 of 229 Restaurants in San Clemente
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed April 15, 2011

This little restaurant in a small stripmall near a movie theater was a happy surprise. The large stripmall across the busy street had several chain restaurants including Rubio's, but I was looking for something a little more interesting.

The place is small and has 7 or 8 tables and a small sushi bar with maybe 6 seats. It is the kind of family business I like to support since chain restaurants seem to be doing pretty well without my help. Service was efficient and friendly, even with an almost full lunch crowd.

The lunch menu has a number of combination offerings with teriyaki and "chef's choice sushi." I ordered from their sushi menu, and since I was by myself and could not share a larger selection with someone else, I can only report on the albacore sushi, fresh water eel sushi, and the spicy tuna handroll, as well as miso soup. The miso was good. The presentation of the fish was beautiful, and all three orders were delicious. The very fresh albacore melted in my mouth and the eel had a nicely balanced sauce on it. I did spice up the spicy tuna handroll with some wasabi, but it, too, was quite fresh.

Many people who came in were regulars. They all seemed to know the sushi chef and his wife (?). If I lived closer to this restaurant, I would become a regular too.

Reviewed July 28, 2008

This is our favorite strip mall sushi - we eat at Miyako about once a week.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Point Roberts, Washington
Reviewed March 12, 2008

Some of the freshest tuna sashimi ever. Try the Hawaiian roll. Tell Jim I said HELLO :)

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 10, 2008

Great local sushi place, friendly staff, lots of regulars, reasonable prices....see you tommorrow!