“One of the best Thai restaurants in the West”

Mongkut Thai Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 220 Restaurants in San Clemente
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 24, 2011

This downtown San Clemente Thai restaraunt located on Historic Del Mar offers a comprehensive Thai menu. Family owned and operated, you will feel welcome here. They have outstanding Tom Ka Gai soup and Mekroob. These two dishes are a delicious, albeit calorically high, way to start the meal. The entrees are wonderful. Be sure to try the tofu as they prepare it well in many of the entrees.

There are newer reviews for Mongkut Thai Restaurant

Reviewed July 2, 2011

Was in San Clemente looking for Richard Nixon. No sign, got hungry. Thai sounded right, and this seemed to be the only game in town. Walked in, no reception area, just tables. Place was packed at 9:15 on a Saturday night in July. Only table left was a 4 topper next to a couple @ a two topper. Had me wait and moved 2some to the 4 topper while I waited. Kinda weird, whatever...ordered a beer and some phad thai chicken, my favorite. Beer came and my food was not more than 2 minutes behind it. Woman that moved to give me the two topper actually commented on how freakishly rapid my food was there. We r talking less than 5 minutes!! I did have to send it back for the 4 stars I ordered...which meant adding 3 spoonfulls of crushed red peppers back in the wok. Anyway, food was flavorful, portion was just about the right size for one, and I was out writing this review on my phone by 9:40

1  Thank kntnrayn1
Reviewed May 11, 2011

The food was awful. I had the yellow curry and sauce tasted like it came from a can, it only had chicken in it and the portion was small. The prices were inflated and the staff was arrogant. This meal was a huge disappointment

Reviewed August 8, 2010

This place pulls a crowd every day of the week and a brisk take out business. Locals and tourists seem drawn to this place. Good food at reasonable prices. We had 2 dishes from the veg side of the menu. I wish we had gotten a curry for more flavor contrasts.

Reviewed April 24, 2010

I've had better Thai food but this place is certainly fine for a quick meal at the beach. And it is not expensive. The service was friendly and quick. The curry chicken was good but the golden fried shrimp were greasy and had nothing on the plate except shrimp. A few veggies would have been nice considering the $13 price. It was crowded on a Saturday night so it is popular.