“Fantastic Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
England
“Fantastic Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

The location of this motel is amazing. Right on the sea front with amazing views. Next to the pier and few restaurants on your door step. Rooms are slightly outdated but the view makes up for this. The quibble I have is the service, no welcome or pleasant introductions. More of yep this is your room and this is how much you have to pay. Here is your key and that was it. They could do with working on this. Parking is limited also. But you can park on the street. Long as you are up by 10am to top up your parking metre you'll be ok. Other wise it could be expensive unless you are prepared to camp out at the car park for a free space.

There is also a train track between property and beach, Amtrak seem to run a regular service. When a train does come through be prepared for the horn sounding. If its a freight train look hold tight because the room shakes.

If you have any questions about our stay feel free to email me

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lu_ash

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

Do not stay here!!! I can't begin to describe how much of a rip-off this place is. It is as expensive as a 5 star hotel with the quality of a motel from the early 50's. I saw roaches in my bathroom and kitchen, there was mold growing in the shower, and the entire place smelled of sewage.

The veiw was pretty good, but you can go to the free beach and get the same (free) view. The owners are ridiculous and rude, I take that back the entire family is rude. They act like the are too busy to care or help.

I can't stress how much nicer/cleaner/better the other hotels in town are. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from this scam.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Wanders11234
klgabay38, Manager at Beachcomber Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2010
One year has now gone by since we received this review. You still haven't contacted us in any way. This is very disturbing to us.
Everybody has to take the good with the bad, but we have to say this time the procedure of Trip Advisor is not working. No one can say for sure if this person even ever stayed here or if they were writing about the Beachcomber Motel. With no reply, we think this review should be eliminated. It must have been a mistake.

Maybe Trip Advisor should rethink their procedures because we think this review is unfair to have on our review list.
Los Gatos, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2008

We stayed one week at the Beachcomber Motel. It was a little cramped for 2 adults and 2 kids but we survived just fine. The owners were great and very responsive to any requests we had. (a sink that clogged was fixed right away)
The location on the beach is superb. We could see our 11 year old in the water on his boogie board from outside our room. It was very relaxing to just sit on chairs in the grass with a wonderful view. You can walk to any kind of restaurant with a great breakfast across the Street.
Just know that trains go by early and can get a bit noisy.
We would return to this special Motel.

• Liked — location to beach, friendly service, easy to walk to shops & restaurants, clean
  • Disliked — no a/c, noise of trains in am
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Cessnafor4
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

This was a great place to stay. My husband and I are not picky, we just wanted something as close to the beach as possible for a reasonable price. Simple, clean rooms, with a sink, refrigerator, stove, coffee pot and dishes. We could live in the room and be perfectly content. Wonderful ocean view and beautiful, gated grounds. In my opinion this is the best place to stay in San Clemente if what you are looking for is a place on the beach close to everything in town for a fair price. Big window and front porch to look out at the ocean (which is why you're here, right?). Just a short walk to the pier and delicious Fisherman's Restaurant. The train did not bother us at all. In fact, it was kind of nice. The bathroom is tiny, but clean. The bed was comfy and the heater really puts out heat once it gets going. I couldn't ask for a more quaint and cozy place to stay. This is the type of place that makes people think of Southern California. It is a classic beach motel and they are getting very hard to find. We loved it and will be going back soon.

• Liked — Proximity to ocean and town
  • Disliked — I honestly cannot complain about anything
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank spitzhacke33
LAS VEGAS, NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2008

I have read some of the reviews and wanted to let everyone know that this is the best little motel in San Clemente that is along the beach and by the pier. I have not stayed here recently but I have stayed here several times in the past. My sister stayed recently and has also stayed here several times with her husband. The owners actually live on the property and are always friendly and courteous. Once I left some of my daughters clothes and blankets in the dresser drawer there and I called 2 days after we left and I spoke to the owner and she said that she had all of my clothes I left which included some homemade blankets that my mother made. I was very thankful they did not toss away or give away to someone. Every room has an awesome view because they all face the ocean. And you don't need A/C when you can just open the windows and have the nice ocean breeze blow in. There are no phones in the room but there is a full kitchen with a stove, utensils, glasses, pots & pans and a refrigerator. In front of the rooms there is a huge shared grassy area where your kids can play or you can lay out and tan. And you can BBQ right there. There is a train that goes by every night but who cares...you are right in front of the ocean and the sunset every night in San Clemente is the best. The last time I was there, there was one nice lady who was the "maid" who cleaned out the room and made the beds..she was very nice. And if I remember correctly there is a coin op laundry room to wash your clothes and a vending machine with snacks right by the laundry room. I am hoping my family and I will be able to vacation here next summer. My parents used to take us to San Clemente when we were kids and we loved it then and we love it now. The price may be slightly high but it is WELL worth it.

• Liked — THE VIEW
  • Disliked — DONT KNOW
  • Stayed June 2003, traveled with family
4 Thank EVFLOMO
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

Stayed here for a long weekend in June. If you read the reviews of this motel on TripAdvisor, you will find one complaining about the blinds not closing, no A/C, small accomodations and more. I would not quarrel with any of those comments. But at the Beachcomber, you are not checking into a plush resort, which you can probably figure out pretty quickly. Instead, it is a locally owned property and kind of a throwback to an earlier time. No phones in the room, spotty cell service, no wi fi. We had a fabulous time. The view is spectacular. The owners/managers are very friendly and helpful. The grounds are gorgeous and meticulously kept. You can't beat sitting around a firepit in the evening, watching the sunset and drinking a glass of wine. Yes, you are paying premium for the location, but for us it was worth it. The rooms are spartan to be sure, but certainly adequate and you won't be spending much time in the room anyway. The train does go by every now and then and that might be a problem for some, but not for us. Everyone is different but I loved hearing the ocean at night. There are a couple of good restaurants around. We enjoyed the Fisherman restaurant on the Pier. The entrees are pretty pricey, but we ate at the appetizer bar which wasn't too bad and made a few appetizers our meal. Yeah, it is touristy but it is a great place to watch the sun go down. The staff at the Fisherman are great. The beach is good. There are lifeguards. Water cold this time of year. Bring your wetsuit and boogie board. We would recommend the Beachcomber Motel. Only wish we had longer to stay !

• Liked — The view and location
  • Disliked — Fold out couch was pretty rough.
  • Stayed June 2008
5 Thank ardee77
New Smyrna Beach, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2008

We had seen this motel 5 years ago and my wife said we had to stay there at least one night during our next trip to CA. It is somewhat pricey for us ($220) but we booked Saturday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The location is unbeatable with a large green lawn overlooking the Pacific Ocean and San Clemente pier. The area was quiet and the sunset was beautiful, the room was really more of an efficiency with full size refrigerator, stove, microwave and queen size bed. The place is old and hasn't been updated but that just seemed to add to the charm.

• Liked — Beautiful Setting
  • Disliked — Furnishings/appointments/appliances outdated
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple