“Saturday Evening Surprise”

Fullerton, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Saturday Evening Surprise”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I surprised my boyfriend by taking him Saturday night to eat Italian food. We were both surprised to find a great happy jazzy band playing LIVE. They had 2 other musicians that took turn serenading us. I do warn there are small portions for the price. Great service from all waiters. We had a bottle of their house wine.We can't wait to go back. Thanks to Livingsocial I found this nice place.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Sara M

Dana Point, California
“Great place for Happy Hour!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Recently I was looking for a new place for Friday night happy hour so we decided to give Zonas a try. The decor was very nice, bar area was nice...a bit dark but nice.
The happy hour food was delicious! We order pulled port sliders, meat lover pizza and the Mediterranean plate. All of it was really good...especially the pizza! We had to order another. The portions are plentiful and delicious...and super well priced.
It so happens they had a live band playing around 7:45 called Above Seven. They were really good! We ended up staying until 11 to listen and dance. We will definitely go back! Looking forward to trying dinner but the happy hour was a winner!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank dqkitri
CA
“Good beer, lousy food”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Boy, have you gone downhill !!! Dirty.. The table was dirty, the silverware is dirty and the bathrooms are a pigsty. It was as if no one cared anymore. I scraped stuck food off the table with a knofe. The waitress send over the busboy to re-clean the table A couple of lethargic wipes and a puddle on the table and he said there you go. I cleaned the table with napkins and mopped up the table after the busboy. I also cleaned the silverware myself as it came nicely wrapped in a linen napkin with water stains and maybe more.
I ordered the Zona burger medium rare, because every always comes out of the kitchen a step higher in done--ness. I got my burger served medium well with way too much gorganzola cheese slopped all over. They may have taken lessons from my middle school cafeteria ladies..

My wife ordered the Tower of Tuna with risotto and sauteed spinach. This is a $28. entree. This is the most expensive seafood entree, their signature dish.
The fish was seared nicely and was OK. The risotto was the consistency of wallpaper paste. Overcooked and slopped on the plate. Even the waitress said it was obvious someone didn't know what what risotto was supposed to look or taste like.The spinach was far overcooked and was just some limp crap on the side of the plate.
Horrible presentation.
I fully expect to see this place on the food channel as a restaurant needing a lot of help. Go to the bar and have a few beers.They have a nice selection.
This is a bar stick to the bar food.
It is obvious they DO NOT have trained chefs working there. It looks like they have minimum wage kitchen staff. There are a lot of other better, cleaner places to eat and spend your hard earned money. Zona, we had high hopes for you..Dirty place and crappy food "priceless".
You get the second star because the waitress tried hard.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank cjsc
Orange
“Off the Beaten Path But Well Worth the Effort”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was a great find located in the back of a movie theater parking lot. Had I not known where to look, I probably never would have found it, but I am so glad I did. I was looking for someplace different to take my aunt and uncle for a birthday lunch and ta da- Zona's.
I was hesitant at first because there was no hostess when we arrived, only a sign saying seat your self. The restaurant is well-decorated and the seating was comfortable. We grabbed a table in the bar (because that is where the only other customers were seated). As it turns out the bartender was the server, bartender, busboy etc. but she was able to multi-task with no problem because the place was not very busy.
We ordered and the food was quite yummy. Vegie burger was very good, good old-fashioned cheeseburger was delicious and the the steak dip was excellent as well. 3 for 3! The bread seemed homemade and was very fresh. The french fries and sweet potatoe fries were hot, crisp and well-seasoned.
I look forward to coming back for happy hour and perhaps dinner.
If you haven't been here, it is definitely worth the effort!

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank TJ S
“Good place for food and football!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Zona's is great! We love to watch football here and they have all games airing. The food is very good, (gotta try the green bean fries...yum!) the staff is friendly and provides great service. The bar is cozy too!

1 Thank Hydee M