“Almost as good as Nick's!”

South of Nick's Mexican Kitchen + Bar
Ranked #2 of 220 Restaurants in San Clemente
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: "Southern California Mexican" Featuring Prime steaks, seafood, and Mexican favorites. An Orange County favorite for Mexican dining.
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Big portions, inventive south of the border food, loved the cheese enchilada with green sauce and the fish tacos.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

No ocean view but great atmosphere and spacious booths/tables. Gluten free options. Californian's are picky about good Mexican food - and theirs is top notch. Gotta try the guacamole. Great service as well, nice bar.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I love Nicks and finally got to South of Nicks tuesday night. Every time I tried to make a reservation they were always booked even during the week. Made it to the bar once and this past Tuesday finally popped in with a friend and didn't have a long wait. The food was really great. Lots of choices. Chips and salsa yummy. Ask for the spicier salsa. A tip I got from a friend. The disappointing part was our waiter Dylan. He was not as attentive as I normally get at Nicks on Del Mar. He looked a bit tired and acted that way too. For this level of restaurant and the prices I do expect better service. Please don't act like I am a bother. This is your job. There was another young man they kept water glasses filled and checked on us more than our waiter. I wish I knew his name and could give him a good review. The food will keep me coming back but I can only hope for another waiter.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

A bit noisy but food is consistently good, service prompt and friendly. Cucumber margaritas very tasty. The shrimp cocktail is the best I've had outside of Mexico. Salmon was cooked perfectly. Soup is excellent. Squash blossom enchiladas only so-so. I commend the young staff for excellent service. Love the bowl of Chicklets at the door and the Saladita crackers. Great to have another quality restaurant in San Clemente.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Amazing how much of a polar opposite thisbNick's is from the other location on Del Mar. For me, but obviously not others, the atmosphere alone prevents me from going again. The mood and vibe is all very much the worst of see and bee seen LA. Very loud, long waits. Makes me want to throw up. Not in tune with what San Clemente is. The place Talega folks must come when they go down to Del Mar or folks from Where folks from places like Houswives of Orange County. Food mediocre.