“Fun and Family for Thanksgiving”
Review of San Clemente Inn

San Clemente Inn
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We were Grandma and Grandpa in town for Thanksgiving and felt right at home. We attended aand recommendthe regular Monday mixer hosted by activities director Mike.
Needless to say Mike is an enthusiast. There is plenty to do at the resort and nearby.

Mike, Nick and Catherine at reception are knowledgeable, polite and helpful..
This is a family friendly place. There are kids around but noise is well controlled. House cleqning staff aqre friendly and helpful.

We arrived late and couldn't access a better room, but Catherine the top notch receptionist urged us to stop by the front desk next morning. Sure enough we got easily transferred to a unit with a splendid ocean view.

Adele's eatery on site is standard for Breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view on third floor. Buildings one and three are recently remodeled. We saw two units...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MrWHCanton_Ohio

Reviewed October 31, 2011

The hotel itself is dated but unit was clean and housecleaning visited each day to remove garbage and provide fresh towels. Best of all was the location as the beach was a five minute walk away, LA was one hour drive north, and San Diego was one hour south. You could hop on the Coaster train which was a 15 minute drive to Oceanside if you wanted a more relaxed mode of transport - the Coaster took you into the bus terminal in San Diego where you could catch the Historic Trolley Tour or local buses.

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor facing San Clemente National Park
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank g0bananas
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here for one night over the weekend. We chose this inn since we're meeting up wth our friends who were camping at the San Clemente Beach Park next door. We took our bikes and rode to the campground, the beach and a mini market across the street. Very convenient.
We had one of their breaker units which is a tight one bedroom apartment for four with a small kitchen and a sneak peek ocean view from the balcony. The decor and furnitures were stuck in the 70's. Our kids thought the murphy beds were the coolest. This place has obviously seen better days. The apartment is clean, kitchen is well stocked for cooking but everything in it says old and used. If one can look past rusted shower head, worn towels, thin walls, old carpet or flat pillows with old bedsheets then it's a good place for short stay. Bear in mind that shampoo and conditioner are provided in sample size packets (like those that comes with the Sunday newspapers), not enough for a family of four. Not a big deal since I usually bring my own on trips. Our bedroom was next to the staircase and facing the parking lot as well as the main street, so it was kinda noisy. Overall, we still consider it a good value for being close to the beach and what we paid for.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank anna9999
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My wife and 4 kids travel 6 to 10 times a year for fun. We have stayed in many different places. Overall I really liked this place. But there were just a couple weird things that didn't do it for me . First the good. Off the beaten path just enough to be peaceful. Close to beach access just down the road. The land scape was clean and neatly groomed. The grounds offered more than your every day inn. BBQ's, Grass play area for kids, miniature golf area, and a decent size pool. Our room had almost everything we needed which is tough for us with teens, and an infant all included in our gang. We stayed in one of the mini suits. Plenty of beds, microwave, sink, fridge, cooking utensils, dvd player, plus regular Sat TV in two rooms, dining table, back balcony, 1 full bath and one 1/2 bath all made our stay very comfortable. The pool are was a decent size compared to some larger places I have stayed. The water temp was perfect. Two separate Jacuzzis one for family with a water temp in the mid 90's and one for adults at 103. Loved this. And we will be back for sure. However, and with that said now the funky.

When we arrived it took the office personnel about 15 minutes to check me it. I was the only customer in the lobby and although he was very nice and polite it just took for ever standing there. Another employee was in plain view eating out of a Jack-n-the-box bag on a desk just behind the counter. When we got to our room it was about midnight and we were hammered from driving just wanted to get the kids in bed and get my head on the pillow. but the room was HOT! It was over 90 degrees in the room. Now I know things are tight and we are all looking to conserve be we had called ahead and informed them that we'd be there about 11:30. It wouldn't have taken much for someone to just get the room down to a decent temp. So for another 90 minutes we ran the AC full blast with all the windows open. Got to sleep about 2:00am due to that. These little things really get to me I just wonder about people's mentality some times? Like why don't people think of these things? Call me picky, and I have been in the customer service biz for over 3 decades. But this is really basic stuff easily remedied with little effort.

A few other things I thought that were funny was that they do not have towels down at the pool? Every other hotel in the biz has towels at the pool. What not these guys? So after lugging everyone down there and looking around for towels you have to call the office and then they will tell you to go look into your rooms closet. LoL Another easily fixed glitch. I bet they get sick of getting 50 calls a day about towels? Come on guys. The last thing was the day of check out. I did not take the time to familiarize myself with the earlier than average check out time of 10:00am? In my 30 years of travel the earliest check out I have ever seen was 11:00am and sometimes as late as 1:00 or 2:00pm. But 10:00am? Anyway, as we were targeting 11:00 am to leave getting all our 6 bodies dressed and packed back up the cleaning lady knocked on the door at 10:32am. She asked me if I was leaving today. I politely said ,"Why yes. Yes we are and thank you". She was nice but left the cleaning cart blocking our door so as I started to take luggage out the door would only open 1/2 way. Now frustrated I rammed the door open pushing the cart back in order to get out.

I came back to the room to a ringing phone? It was the front office asking when I was leaving. They were polite but direct. I asked, "But isn't check out at 11:00am?". No sir it's 10:00am!. Wow?! Oops. I appologised and told them we would be gone asap. We were outta there at 10:58am.

In my opinion the staff could have just done a tiny bit more on the effort end to prove to thier customers that they care and want them back. Coupled with how cool this little place is- it would be a perfect little get away spot. As I said before I will be back, but if it's proven that this small break down in customer service is a consistant issue we will not go back again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Gino S
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Our family has been staying here for 12 years straight. Used to be a wonderful place, but is in need of serious repair. Our room was dirty, furnature was old and dirty we had to put towels on the couch just to sit on it, smelled like urine, stains on the walls everywhere, broken appliances and the staff that used to be amazing has changed and not for the better! There are some areas that are still very nice but there is no way to insure you get to be in a nice room or area.even if you pay extra. So for the same price of a 4 star room you may get a 1 star room and the staff is rude and unhelpful regarding that fact. Maybe if they changed their rate policy and charged less for the broken down rooms their customers would not feel ripped off! BE WARNED this place is a crap shot now.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank kcheryl
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We always enjoy this quiet, quaint resort in sunny Southern Cali. The staff at San Clemente Inn is super friendly, often going above and beyond responding to our requests. The rooms are clean with just the right amount of amenities and we love keeping the windows open in the evenings to listen to the ocean. The location is withing walking distance to the San Clemente beach, which is SUPER clean and a short drive to the local shopping and dining. We enjoy the pool, the hot tub, and Adele's restaurant the most. This is a very laid back, relaxing place to visit!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank FamilyFave
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We were wary after reading some of the reviews. So much so that I called the resort and asked some questions before exchanging through RCI. I was assured that the units were clean and we would not be disappointed, so we went ahead and booked. We listened to other reviewers and were there for early check in. The rooms are generally not ready until 3 or 4PM but to get your choice of rooms you need to show up early for the best selection. We requested a "renovated" unit which was ready by 2PM and, although still a bit dated, was very clean and comfortable. It was a 1 bedroom with a king, twin murphy beds, a bath with standup shower, and partial kitchen. The living area has a loveseat and chair as well as a small dining table. The kids loved the murphy beds which were actually very comfortable. Our partial kitchen was surprisingly well stocked, enough so that with a little creativity we cooked 5 full dinners there.

The resort is ideally situated about an hour from both San Diego and LA so we used it primarily as a base to tour from. We weren't there a lot but we did get to use the pool and hot tubs which were clean and well kept. There also is a nice picnic area with grills which we never got to use. The resort staff was extremely friendly and helpful. What we found great was that housekeeping came in every day to clean, exchange towels, and resupply paper and cleaning goods just like in a hotel. I generally travel with dishwasher tabs, extra coffee filters, etc. because we always run out and most resorts do not restock these items. We have done many timeshare exchanges and this is not typical of most resorts without an extra fee.

After 6 days we did need to do laundry. There are 2 laundry facilities on site which have hours of 9AM to 8PM. Since we did so much site seeing we had a hard time getting there during these hours. The morning we finally did, we waited at the door from 8:45AM until the maintenance man unlocked the door. We were in front of the line and other guests were disappointed that they had to wait to use the facility. No one wants to spend their vacation time doing laundry. We really missed having a washer and dryer in the unit although with the limited space I understand why they are not offered.

The resort is situated adjacent to the state park which is beautiful. If you want to go to the beach though, drive your car. The walk down is fine but coming back up is a hike. The waves were too big for our kids but they enjoyed watching all the surfers. For swimming we went further up the coast. Some reviewers complained about the noise from I-5 which is also very close. We were on the far side of the resort and never heard any traffic noise. In fact the resort was very quiet and peaceful. Overall, I highly recommend this resort and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Arrive around 12-1PM for early check-in to get your choice of units
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family