“Horrible Rock beaches.”

San Onofre State Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular with swimmers and surfers, this state park features 3.5 miles of sandy beaches.
Reviewed July 13, 2014

This was my first time Beach camping and it is By Far the worst experience I have had. You have to walk down these long trails some non kid friendly and when you finally get to the beach Its 95% rocks. I will never come back to the bluffs again.

1  Thank mylogi
There are newer reviews for San Onofre State Beach

Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

We just visited to go for a nice walk on the beach. We had our dog with us and he was allowed to go on trails 1 and 6.

Once we got way down the beach, and there wasn't a soul in sight, we let our dog off leash so he could play in the water.

The beach was very clean and nice. We will visit again next time we are in town.

3  Thank ScenicWeddings
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I expected campers to party all night and the beach trail to be very treacherous, but in fact, my campsite neighbors were quiet, polite, and the trails were a little steep, but nothing I couldn't do with sandals on. Yes, a train came by every so often during the night, but I was able to sleep though it. The campsites are very close together, but luckily, my neighbors only had 2 people per site and were very quiet and went to sleep early. The toilets have flushing water into a pit, and there are outdoor sinks and cold showers. I only used beach trail 6, and the one south of it; they were both steep, but not treacherous (maybe the other trails are more steep). The beach was nice and quiet, but the one I went to was a little rocky during low tide. Parking is quite expensive ($15/day), and a campsite is $45/night with a parking pass that can be used at many other peaches and parks in the area. There are wheelchair accessible sites.

9  Thank Michelle Y
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed 3 nights over Memorial Day wknd. site 116 (initially rsvp'd in Jan. via ReserveAmerica website) and was lucky to have chosen a site that had shade trees (there are very few with shade) and room enough for 2 hexagon tents, both close to the fire ring which was somewhat poorly placed. The campsite were fairly level and this end of the bluffs (section 105-119 I think) was meant for RVs so there's parking for trailers or 2-3 vehicles, however you pay $15 a day for any vehicle over 1 (plus trailer) and there are no private showers just toilets and a cold water shower to rinse off sand. Our site was close to the 1/4 mile long trail 4 which led down to the beach, where there was a fairly flat berm of medium sized rocks but small sandy sections you could fit beach towels/chairs on. The waves were great for body boards and surfing. For swimming it was relatively flat but scattered with rocks in some areas so I wore rubber water shoes as recommended by other reviewers. As others state, the Amtrak commuter train comes by frequently (but speeds by in less than a minute with only about 7 cars) and there are freight trains also (louder with as many as 40+ train cars) and the freeway noise about 100+ yards from the campsites is tolerable and avoidable with ear plugs. We camped next to some real partyers that played load music very late into the morning hours and no rangers ever monitored our side of the camp. I would not select this section of the bluffs if going on a holiday weekend again, I would stay farther north where only single car prkg. is allowed (partying discouraged) however those areas have smaller dirt areas for tents and are condensed right next to bluff shrubbery and other sites. Great tip: your campsite registration (or day-use pass) allows you to use one of several private token-operated warm showers at the nearby San Mateo campground, accessed from Cristianitos freeway offramp). Also there is a faucet for potable water/camp use next to the outdoor sink area off the beach side of the restrooms. Note this beach has a lot of rocks and isn't the most family friendly for small children, but there is a small tidepool that was interesting and at lower tides you can walk or jog the entire length of the campground with beautiful views of water and bluffs. We drove to movie theater Sat. evening only about 5+ miles north of campground. I enjoyed the fact that there were literally less than 100 people using the beach even though I walked for 2 miles down the sand and it was a holiday weekend! 3.5 stars!

9  Thank socaltravelmom_fun
Reviewed May 22, 2014

San Onofre is a beautiful beach. It has great waves and is a favorite spot for many local surfers. The views are beautiful. It is near Camp Pendleton. The beach is rocky, however! I have gone surfing and boarding in this water. Make sure young children stay away from the surfing area. The beach is free, but you may need to pay for parking

1  Thank b_nestor2