“Love the quirky rooms and proximity to Trestles!”

Inn at Calafia Beach
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Rome, Italy
“Love the quirky rooms and proximity to Trestles!”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed 3 days at the Inn on our road trip along the Californian coast - specifically in San Clemente as my husband wanted to surf the Trestles.

After reading bunch of reviews on tripadvisor we found this Inn and luckily they had still a room available (we literally called 5 minutes before we wanted to check in).

The rooms are very basic but quirky, each room is different, some with funny art and little details. There's no AC but the vents are fine; the rooms are clean and you can park right in front of the door. There's a medium size fridge in the room which came handy for me to keep the wine cool :). There's a small BBQ kitchen should you want to cook. There's a little noise from the traffic but it's bearable.

Dana, the owner of the Inn is so helpful and friendly, it really makes a world of difference. The place is basic but all in all we really enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter which room - all are pretty much the same.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Dragged the husband to a beach trip for his birthday...(yes, it's his b-day, but I needed the trip!). Looked into San Clemente after a recommendation from a colleague who said we'd "love it!"

Hotels weren't easy to find--lots were booked up & ones that only looked mildly swanky were over-priced. So, with so many great reviews on TripAdvisor, I booked the Inn at Calafia Beach.

Reviewers were right on the money: cool retro motel feel, super clean, close to most everything (we walked to & from the beach twice a day), and Dana, the manager was fantastic!

Massive kudos to Dana for remembering it was the husband's b-day & presenting him with a $25 gift card to a nice restaurant downtown. She also gave us lots of suggestions on other restaurants, beaches, and fun tourist stuff! Dana should teach customer service classes to 5-star hotel staff! Truly fabulous.

The room: For the price, it was okay. Retro decor, but a small room w/no drawers, closets, or towel racks...Literally lived out of a suitcase for 4 days...but hey, the other stuff made up for that.

Free Internet was a bonus, but it was a rather slow connection...

Nice to have a coffee pot in the room & a 7-11 for more coffee & snacks right down the street.
Would I stay there again? Yes, definitely!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
phoenix
Reviewed July 15, 2012

we showed up 30 minutes early for check in,our room was ready.dana was wonderful she was patient.even though i had more ppl in my party than she was aware of she was still helpful.the room was clean and cute. it wasa 2 bedroom and there was plenty of room for 4 kids and 3 adults.beds were comfortable and clean.the breeze from the nearby ocean was great and kept our room cool. the outdoor cooking area was nice and had everything u needed to cook with.they even provided some seasonings.there was a laundry room that was reasonable,and since we had little kids that was great.there was a fridge in the room which was big enough for us to store eggs,sausage,milk,juice in.dana even gave us some ice instead of making us walk to store.parking was tight but we had a suv which we were able to park right outside our room.there were a few store right across the street,a gas station,and several restaruants.i would stay here again if i was coming back to san clemente.i drove back and forth from the inn to san diego daily.it was a great experience and the place is kept up well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cheri c
Chino Hills, California, USA
Reviewed June 18, 2012

A throw back to the sixties, the Inn At Calafia in San Clemente is sure to delight those travelers looking for a fun get away to this beach side community. Whether it's a day trip to Disneyland or a sunny afternoon at the beach, the Inn At Calafia provides the perfect place to make your escape from the grind a soothing reality. What are you waiting for??? Go have some fun!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tfbeaches
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 14, 2012

i feel badly writing this, the woman at the office was very nice but i am pretty disappointed with this place and i've only been here since 5 p.m. i was really looking forward to staying here based on the reviews i read on tripadvisor. the location is really good, super-close to downtown san clemente, it's inexpensive and they have a little grill/picnic area which is convenient. i understand you pay for what you get, but i would at least expect the money i put up for a 2-night stay to afford me a toilet bowl seat. seriously, there is NO seat on this thing. the sink counter is dirty/sticky and appears to not have been wiped down. the noise from el camino real is so loud i may as well have the room door open. as stated in other reviews, there is no a/c. this wouldn't normally bother me b/c it's a beautiful cool night however, leaving the window open isn't an option since other guests using the grill/pool area have been blaring music for the last 2 hours. additionally, the ceiling fan is not working (which was mentioned in their website's FAQ) so i am using the floor fan but it's also pretty loud, even on the lowest setting. i am supposed to stay here tomorrow evening too but i am already on expedia looking for a back-up plan. there appear to be several comparable options between this spot and downtown san clemente.

Room Tip: i would hope the rooms farther from the street would be quieter...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank karaspeckman
innatcalafiabeach, General Manager at Inn at Calafia Beach, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Dear Kara-
I am SO sorry!

I left you a voicemail yesterday morning, when I realized our agregious mistake.

My housekeeper had told me about needing to replace the toilet seat and it completely slipped my mind. That was a horrific thing to have slip my mind. I only wish you had come up to the office to let me know and I would have taken care of it immediately. I was mortified when my housekeeper asked if I had remembered to replace the seat and ran right to your room and knocked, you had already left, that is when I called you. I can only, wholeheartedly, apologize about the lack of toilet seat. That is certainly not a frill or amenity that you should have to ask about when making reservations. I assure you, the toilets have seats (when I am not having a brain freeze!)

The courtyard rules are that the guests be in and fire out by 11:30, the guests were compliant that evening.

I completely understand your discontent and am, again, very sorry. If you had let me know, rather than suffering through without a toilet seat, I assure you I would have taken care of it. Reviews are really helpful and I appreciate you taking the time- but I so wish you had just come to the office to let me know, prior to writing a review about things that you didn't give me the chance to fix.

I am guessing you don't have interest in staying with us again, but if that changes, I will be happy to offer you two complimentary nights in the future. Unfortunately El Camino is a busy street until around 10PM, after that it does quiet down. I hope the rest of your trip was more enjoyable and certainly, less confusing!

Feel free to contact me directly.
Best,
Dana

Travelers are raving about these San Clemente hotels

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Dana saved us from the La Vista Inn down the street. We stayed there one night and I was going to sleep in the car rather than stay there again. She was so nice and friendly. The rooms are cute and clean! The place just feels good and has a good vibe to it. It is also close to lots of great restaurants and bars, and the place itself is very well thought out and has a lot of nice extras for the price. There are bike rentals and a really cool cabana in the center with a full kitchen that you can use. There is a grill and fire pit, too. Plus, an outdoor shower! If you surf or spend time at the beach, you really appreciate those outdoor showers for washing sand off your feet and cleaning up your gear.

For as cute as this place is and as nice and friendly as the owner is (trust me, there are some real jerks running motels/hotels on this street), I could not believe how reasonably priced the rooms are! Seriously, there is a scary flop house a few blocks down (La Vista) that was only $10 cheaper than this cute, clean, friendly place!

We love coming down and surfing at San Onofre - we will make reservations here every time - it's a hidden gem!

Room Tip: Ask Dana (the owner) what she recommends, she's very helpful!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kristenannie
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Decided to stay the night after our family Christmas eve gathering in San Clemente. We'd been driving from vacation in Tahoe and after 8 hours in the car, were thankful for the comfortable bed. Spending Christmas eve here is becoming as much a tradition as visiting family in San Clemente. Compared to other options around, this is the best place to stay for comfort and budget. Dana, the owner, is super helpful and thoughtful-- even remembered us from last year. Ask for the Zen room-- or other 2 bedroom unit if you're traveling with family or like privacy traveling with a friend. Some improved shower and newer bathroom in the Zen room-- compared to the shower we had last year. Of course we will be back next year-- and with a new baby to join us!

Room Tip: Some rooms are two bedroom, for those looking for more spacious options.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple