See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We loved the outdoor bbq area even though we didn't bbq. Sat out there and drank a glass of wine with my sweetie and less than 30 feet from our room. Felt kinda like a Melrose type place. The gal at the front desk was super nice and friendly - I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Dont come in a big SUV as prking is a little tight
2  Thank beeferony
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I was in San Clemente for just one night doing some photography. I didn't want nor need the ammenities of a larger chain but at the same time as a woman traveling solo, I didn't want to sacrafice safety. The Inn satisfied my needs.

The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful and gave me a "small town" feel. Where else can you check in and be told "the gal that handles the checkin's is out but here is the key to your room; when you see her car return you can come to the office and pay".

The Inn itself is vintage with only 16 bungalows and I personally liked that part. I appreciate the feel of an old fashioned "motor court". The room was extremely clean and well kept. The room I stayed in, No.1, appeared to have new carpeting and a new flat screen Vizio TV and the included wireless internet worked flawlessly.

The only thing I can say that is negative is the bed in No.1. Many may like it, being retro and low to the ground, but these "older" bones will opt next time for a higher placed bed.

If I am in the area I will stay again and I would suggest a reservation in season; the parking lot was full by sundown so I am assuming they were fully booked.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank DesertSmile
Reviewed July 9, 2011

As a journalist I generally reserve writing for newspaper and magazines however this being my first trip advisor review, and while reflecting over the last few days, I felt it needful to share and give an honest appraisal of my recent experience at the Inn at Calafia Beach motel.

As someone who travels a lot there’re a few basic things one hopes to find in a motel, air conditioning, cleanliness, respectful neighbors and an overall common sense approach by owners of a facility like this towards its customers.

Upon arrival at the Inn my girlfriend and I were given our room and we both went to get settled. As I was bringing our luggage in I heard her shrieking from the bathroom, I raced in to investigate and found her pressed hard into the corner trying to avoid being scalded by the hot water after the plastic hot-cold tap mixer fell off.

I brought it to the attention of Dana, the motel manager and she promptly and most apologetically offered us another room and we appreciated her efforts.

It was a very hot July 1st so with no air-conditioning offered in any of the rooms, naturally the rooms were hot we took the two bedroom suit which offered us a cool breeze and a second bedroom away from road noise and the blazing afternoon sun.

Later that evening when we arrived back from visiting friends we had to endure drunk, noisy neighbors who parked themselves and smoked right outside our window forcing us to close the window and limit any cool breezes.

I observed one of the individuals vomiting on the steps beside us and we couldn’t really sleep with the neighbors noise and the heat so decided we would seek other accommodation the next day.

Dana noticed us packing to leave and came over to see us and we shared our nights experience, she was apologetic but couldn’t give us a refund for the second night but instead offer us a two day complimentary stay which we appreciated her wanting to make it up to us.

A refund for the second night was more appropriate considering what we had to endure.

In concluding, it is clearly evident to me through what I observed that the owners of this motel have difficulty in reinvesting money back into this motel and it needs work since it lacks some basic levels of comfort for its customers.

The carpet in its more expensive suit where we stayed was absolutely filthy and needs replacing, I felt very uncomfortable even taking my shoes off. The shower in the suit was completely blocked when I took a shower.

The Inn at Calafia Beach motel has the potential to be a good place to stay but in its present form and with what we had to pay for it, I found it lacking in comfort-ability somewhat unclean and poor after thought in terms of proper furniture placement (In the basic rooms that I saw there was no prevision to even hang clothes only draws) compared to other places where we have stayed and even though we were offered the complimentary stay I was extremely disappointed with this motel and have no desire to ever go back there.

5  Thank journoz
Reviewed July 2, 2011

After seeing the great reviews here we were very excited to stay at this little retro hotel. Please know that this is a budget hotel with NO A/C. It is right on a busy street. Unfortunately our experience was not that great. Dana, the manager was very accommodating. top marks for service. She gave us our choice of rooms and we picked one we thought would be cooler and quieter. I prepared to take a shower, turned the faucet to hot and went to turn it down when the faucet handle fell off, apart in my hand, and began to disinegrate. I was unable to turn off the scalding hot water but fortunately did not burn myself. Dana graciously moved us to a large, two bedroom suite. It had a nice flat screen tv and comfortable bed, but the floor was filthy, most of the decorative pillows were dirty and worn, and the shower was clogged and would not drain properly. The other bed looked less than clean. The linens on our bed were clean and the bathroom was clean. The worst part were there were some disheveled drunks staying next door, their pick up truck was parked directly in front of our door, they spilled chip dip on our stoop and then sat outside our window/door all night smoking and drinking. It was very uncomfortable and we were unable to open our window for fresh air. We left the next morning. Dana was unable to refund our second night but did offer to comp us a free weekend anytime we wanted. not sure if we will go back. it was just too much dramas. I see another visitor had drunks outside of their room too. Perhaps the establishment should stop allowing drunks to stay at their hotel. I wish I could give this little place a better rating. They did have good, free wifi. They also have a great outdoor kitchen/dining area and place for surfers to rinse off. Maybe if you are a surfer you can better appreciate this place.

5  Thank Spygurl007
Reviewed June 14, 2011

The Inn at Calafia Beach was our first stop on a 2 week journey through California, and we couldn't have asked for more. Very sweet, themed rooms greet the weary traveller, with a comfortable bed, well maintained facilities, and within a stones throw from shopping, the beach and some excellent dining.

Dana runs the Inn, and we found her advice and assistance invaluable. She helped us find supermarkets, parking, beach access and restaurant options, all with a huge smile and a laugh. Very well received by two bewildered Australians on their first trip to the US!

There are very well priced laundry facilities on site, a BBQ area and bikes for hire. Lots of parking. The room rates are exceptionally well priced.

When we inevitably return to SoCal, we'll be staying here again without a doubt. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Just ask nicely, and Dana will take care of you!
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple