See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 20, 2011

stayed there twice on the same trip, first time in one of the renovated rooms (the grey/slate kind of coloured one with the bubble chairs) and was really pleasantly surprised as wasn't expecting much other than a motel bedroom near to Trestles.

the lady on reception was really nice and welcoming & the middle bbq area and astroturfed picnic tables really brings everyone who wants to mingle out together.

second stay there we were in one of the normal rooms, which felt almost a bit disappointing following the first stay, but was perfectly fine as a room & equally clean. This time we ended up partying with another group of surfers in the middle area most nights & walking down to Calafia (10 minute walk) or Trestles (30 minutes) to surf during the day. Lots of restaurants, cheap and not so cheap and some bars within easy walking distance too.

Room Tip: ask for one of the themed ones!
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank upesciunesciu
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: John-David Longwell <jd.longwell@gmail.com>
Date: May 16, 2011 8:21:52 PM MDT
To: John-David Longwell <jd.longwell@gmail.com>

This is a reasonably priced little motor inn on the south end of San Clemente that harkens back to the pre-Interstate highway era when small, independent motels dotted the American landscape. It's been tastefully remodeled with a number of modern amenities, but retains several characteristics from that bygone era - especially in the bathroom where the plumbing fixtures are a bit antiquated and there is a lack of electrical outlets throughout.

With only a queen-sized bed and a small dresser, there was plenty of space in the room for my morning yoga.  The bed mattress was firm and I got a good-night's sleep.  The mornings are still quite cool in SoCal this time of year, so I turned on the wall heat radiator in the morning. Any seasoned traveler knows the pros & cons of those ancient beasts.

A few more pluses: I was pleasantly greeted at the front desk when I arrived and when I checked out.  There were also beach-cruiser bicycles and a barbecue available to guests.  There's a nice little breakfast place a couple of doors down and the motel is very close to San Clemente State Beach.

If I was going to stay a few days in this area, the Inn at Calafia Beach would probably not be my first choice, but it's a nice stop between Point A and Point B.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank John-David L
Reviewed May 1, 2011

This was the first stop for our family on a cross country trip to new York. We were pleasantly surprised when we pulled up. It isn't anything fancy, so if you are looking for that type of hotel, this isn't for you. It was clean and Dana was wonderful. She lives at the hotel and can tell that she does whatever she can to make the stay pleasurable. The only thing that I would say is the bed in the Zen room was a little hard. My kids bed was super comfortable and woke up saying how well they slept. I would recommend this hotel to anyone of our friends!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 28, 2011

This Is the perfect surf inn. We stayed for one night and it was very Comfy. We stayed in the japan/china room.the bed was a little stiff but it was overall great

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Free Wi-Fi, Free Cable/HBO
Hooked up outdoor grilling area!
Beach Cruisers, surf boards
Outdoor shower
Great location, centrally located in San Diego County.
Next door to a great restaurant/sports bar we tried and recommend: OC Tavern (great food!)

Room Tip: We stayed in a 2bdrm (#13) and we loved it.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family