“A special treat - lovely one-of-a-kind room”
Review of Casa Tropicana

and 1 more site!
Casa Tropicana
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Reviewed August 30, 2007

I really loved this place. The price is a bit steep (~$300/night) but given the prices in Laguna Beach of mere Holiday Inns I thought it was a great deal.

The rooms are lovely. Really unique with special touches. Who doesn't love a complimentary bottle of white wine, one of red and a bottle of champagne? Also, a pre-packed beach bag with chairs, towels and games?! Perfect. Nice decor, some of the softest beds I've ever slept on and a beautiful hibiscus and shell necklace upon arrival.

The patios are shared but there was never anyone else on them when I was out there. The view of the ocean and the pier is gorgeous and I sat for hours reading my book and listening to the waves.

The check out time is 11am unfortunately and there is really no where to store your bags or shower after the beach if you are flying out later in the day. And there are definitely trains that go by at night. I like trains so I wasn't bothered, but if you are a light sleeper this may be an issue (they have earplugs in the nightstand).

Overall a really lovely property on a quiet beach in a sleepy California town. I'd go back just to stay there - but I wouldn't mind if the rates were lowered a tad ;)

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank VancouverLoki
casatrop, Rick Anderson, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2008

Thank you for mentioning some of the special things that we do here at Casa Tropicana to make your say more enjoyable. The ocean view patios are very large and comfortable and as you mentioned, and mostly un crowded. The second floor shares the ocean view deck with five rooms, the third floor only with two rooms. Guests can use any one of the decks as they choose, or as your privacy needs dictate. On the fifth penthouse floor, Casa Blanca is a private deck complete with an outdoor 8 person Jacuzzi, dry sauna and wet bar! (Which hold your complementary chilled champagne and chardonnay, you will find your merlot waiting in your room.) Thank you for mentioning the train. As Sue and I live here onsite, we are used to its whistle, and often forget it does come by nightly. We are glad you enjoyed the sounds of the crashing waves, and the trains that compete for your attention. Sensitive sleepers should take advantage of the ear plugs, as they are very comfortable, but a few may find necessary. I am glad you hit on one of our most important features, our comfy over stuffed beds. We can only say, come back and try them again. Hope to see you again soon! Rick Anderson, Owner.

There are newer reviews for Casa Tropicana

Reviewed August 12, 2007

If you like the clanking and horn blowing of trains all night this is the place for you....beautiful view but obscured by the loud, ugly trains that passed by regularly...very low-rent crowd at the beach, choked on the car and train views....no air conditioning in the rooms, so you can go to sleep with the windows up and hear the crashing waves, but also the loud trains which will wake you up...although SPA is in the name, there is none, I scheduled a massage in my room, therapist never showed...morning breakfast is a joke, weak coffee, vending machine danish, and yogurt.

Room was pretty, but the maid keeps the door open when cleaning, so lots of flies join you. Paitos are all shared, so prepare to be social with your neighbors, rooms are right on top of eachother, so with the windows open (and they are, it's hot with them closed), you can hear all your neighbors say.

Parking in a condo lot down the street, parking and entrance to hotel do not seem safe or secure.

Website oversells this place...for $150 a night, maybe, but $350, they are out of their minds.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank beenaroundtheworld82

I am very sorry the train made your stay with us so unpleasant. Over the last 18 years that we have been here, we rarely have a guest who cannot tolerate the train. I apologize, sincerely. The beach is literally 150 yards before you here at Casa Tropicana, and the train tracks do run between us, from San Diego to Los Angeles. The main advantage is it also stops right at our front door! So if a guest was so inclined they could arrive by train, enjoy our little 8 room inn, walk and shop the shops on our downtown Avenida Del Mar, dine in any one of our fabulous restaurants, return to our wonderful over stuffed beds, and board the morning train back to your destination! Sounds like true romance to me! But, that’s just me. I really know trains are not for everyone. You are correct about the spa. We did remodel a room and changed to become an Inn & Spa, but it didn’t work for our location. Guests found too many other things to do once they arrived and rarely made, or kept spa appointments. So now I have taken out the spa room and converted into Casa Bahama, a two room suite. (Check it out at, casatropicana.com) Some of our old marketing material is still out there, but if you arrive for a spa treatment, we do call our technicians and can get you a treatment in your room. The more notice the better. Thanks for your comment about our name having, “Spa,” in it. We have now changed to, “Casa Tropicana, a Boutique Beach Front Inn.” Sorry about your assessment of our breakfast, I have recently sold the restaurant and the new owner is not open for breakfast. You may have noticed I have taken out one of our units and through building permits we are constructing a new kitchen on the third floor. I apologize for the temporary inconvenience, but we will be improving on our breakfasts soon. The, “weak,” coffee is however “Kona Coffee from Hawaii.” Let us know what you like and we can see of we can get it. Being here at the beach the need for air conditioners is not in big demand. I have however, over the last few years added three AC’s to as many rooms. My goal is to put AC’s in all of the rooms when possible. Thanks for letting me know it counts. Bed & Breakfast Inns are by their nature social places, everyone is friendly. As for parking, I can assure it’s very safe and so is anyone who stays with us. It is not on a, “Condo lot,” as you know. It is in a secured parking structure that you were issued a parking remote just to enter and depart with. My Wife and I live here on site, and we have six grown kids raised here, with an additional six grand kids whom are perfectly safe anywhere in our neighborhood, on the beach and pier. I don’t honestly think a comment about feeling unsafe is a justified fair comment. We will disagree on that one. As for flies, open doors, being on top of each other, neighbors talking, and unpleasant experience, I don’t know how to comment any further on that, except to say I am very sorry to say perhaps Casa Tropicana wasn’t best suited for you. Rick Anderson, Owner

Reviewed February 1, 2007

Made reservations 3 months in advance for my husband's return from Iraq. The new manager lied to me and told me that they couldn't put me in the room I requested weeks before my husband was coming home. I found out she lied from a young man that worked there. I guess they do this stuff all the time, when somebody offers them more money. When I confronted the owner he was very rude, and could care less. This was supposed to be an amazing day for us (and it still was), but they definately stressed me out. It made me so mad that had no respect for our military, and my husband fought for our country- but to them money was more of a priority. Plus, it was very overpriced. Trains wake you up all throughout the night, and the manager is so snobby and makes you feel below her. I would go anywhere else!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank fal2006

I resent this whole miss interpretation of fictional events. It only proves there are people out there who will do anything to wreck you. I vividly remember this event. The woman was given a gift certificate we donated to the Wife’s of Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base, our neighbors the south. We donate thousands of dollars worth of rooms yearly to local events. This gift certificate was given to her by someone else and it was already expired when she first called. Policy being what it is she was politely informed it was expired. Non relenting as she was, she demanded to talk to the owner. I talked to her, I listened and decided to extend the certificate for her. No marine’s wife knows three months in advance when her husband will be released from deployment and returned home. They change arrival dates up until the time they leave. She could not, nor did not make reservations three months in advance! She in fact changed several times and we told her she could not keep doing this or the expired certificate would be voided. In the end I honored it and they came. Our rooms are given out to donated gift certificate holders biased on availability at the time of arrival. We give you the best available room when you arrive. She had one picked out, and was honestly told if it was not taken when she arrived she could have it, but it wasn’t available on the date she finally did arrive. This single event started the whole mess down hill. There was no bringing her back. This is why she says, “ I guess they do this stuff all the time when someone offers more money,” It was made very clear to her she could have any room biased on availability, but all of our rooms are for sale, and if one sells, for money, its gone out of inventory. We would have given her the penthouse if it was available! I support our troops! I truly resent her pulling the, “ No respect for our troops,” card, that’s about a low as a blow that can be made to any business that gives on request to support the men and women in uniform of this great nation in any time of war or peace! The woman, stayed for free, on an expired certificate, and states above, “It was to be an amazing day, and still was.” Then Stresses out because she could not get the room she wanted as we did not have it available for her to choose from, then she calls my people snobby, and then finishes by stating, it was very over priced, when in fact it was free! I will not justify myself any more on this issue. Rick Anderson, Owner

Reviewed November 12, 2006

The good:
1- Nice location but it goes down hill from there.
2- Rooms were decent size.

The Bad:
1- Staff was attentive until you complain then all bets are off.
2- Breakfast choices are limited, to say the least, unless you're into having eggs all sorts of different ways.

The Ugly:
1- No shower available. There's a big jacuzzi bathtub, and it's got one of those pull out showerheads but it was broken. When I made the reservation I specifically asked about shower availability. I was told no problem. When I checked in the supposed shower was broken. I was told it was 4 to 6 weeks to get the part; they must be crawling to the hardware store. My take was that they may or may not fix the "shower"; it looked like it had been broken for awhile; the one part I looked at had rusted. Once I brought this up, I basically had the option of going to a much smaller room or living with no shower. Took the latter choice but I want to warn the world about this place now.
2- The accommodations and overall stay was not worth a price tag that is comparable to a Ritz Carlton, etc.
3- The toilet ran and shut off when it wanted to.
4- The "View". For being 100 yards for the shoreline and about 50 yards from the Amtrak line, the views from most of the rooms suck. Their ad talks about great views and if you're not in your room you do get a great view, but sleeping on their patio may not be the ideal option. The way the building is done your "view" from most of the rooms is blocked by stairwells, pillars, chairs, tables, balcony wall, etc.

Bottom line - Take some time and review you choices carefully. Unless they drop their prices significantly your just not getting a value equal to your cost.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank PT92614

The Good:
Great!

The Bad:
1-I have talked to all of my staff and actually they are mostly new. Thanks for letting us know we need more improvement, we will keep trying.
2-Breakfast, at the time we are over hauling our kitchen, it is out of service and should be open again soon with new fresh menu selections.

The Ugly:
1- The shower, it’s fixed! It didn’t take all of the 4 weeks to get the part though. Not only that but I have installed a new fixed rain shower head in the center of the large Jacuzzi tub so now, thanks to your comment the hand held shower is OUT! I agree, it wasn’t too practical. Ya live, ya learn.
2-We believe we do provide a great value to our guests, the location, amenities and experience. Check out our website and let me know. I also know it might not feel like it when you’re feeling like you get, “the good, bad and ugly,” from anything. I forgive you, can you forgive us?
3-Yep, we got the toilet fixed too, thanks…

4-Views, I don’t understand how you can be elevated 150 yards from the Pacific Ocean, on the second and third floor of an un-obstructed San Clemente California ocean view Bed & Breakfast Inn, except palm trees, with the 5 miles of clean white sandy beaches, wooden 1200 foot long pier, fantastic Catalina sunsets, and claim no view. I guess if you lived on a boat, you wouldn’t appreciate what we have to offer here. We do have a train though, it can also bring you right to our door! Check us out again, I know you’ll be a lot happier. Rick Anderson, Owner

A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed May 14, 2006

I chose this B&B based on the glowing reviews on this site. Turned out that my stay was very disappointing given how expensive it was.

I was concerned about one of the other reviewers complaints about construction noise, but I chalked that up to bad luck. I had a bad experience that was a little more typical, I believe. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a terrible place to stay, but it certainly isn't cheap. I paid $412/night for a Sat. and Sun. night. Bottom line: Wasn't worth it.

First, the good:
-Location, location, location. If you like the beach, then you might like this place. It's literally 100 yards from the ocean and right across from the San Clemente Pier, which has a great seafood restaurant on it.
-Tasteful decor. The furnishings, paint, and accessories were very good.
-The staff was nice.

Now for the bad:
-In the words of the Grinch Who Stole Christmas. . .The noise. The noise, noise, noise, NOISE! The walls are very thin. So are the ceilings/floors. We turned in early (9:30 or so) on the first nite and were awakened several times by the people above us walking around.

The there were the trains. If you didn't know, the train tracks run right by the beach. In fact, San Clemente Amtrak station is right across the street. There must have been 5 or 6 trains that went by during the night, honking their horns as they approached the track crossing. When I mentioned this the next day to the staff, they said that's a common complaint and they provide earplugs in the night stands. Unfortunately, nobody mentioned this when showing us the room.

Another noise problem was the toilet that wouldn't stop running. A running toilet in a $400+/night room? Ridiculous.

Between the people upstairs, the trains, and the toilet, we got about 3-4 hours of sleep that night. And not all in a row. The earplugs helped the next night, but not much.

The noise bothers me more because when you first see the place it appears to be 30-40 years old, which would tend to explain the poor sound insulation. However, I learned that the building was built in the early 90s. The only explanation for the poor sound insulation in this case is a cheap design. No excuse for it at these prices.

-No shower. There's a big jacuzzi bathtub, and it's got one of those little pull out shower head thingies (like the thing you have in your sink to rinse your dishes), but it pulls out about 2 feet, which means to take a shower you have to kneel and bend over in the bathtub. Unacceptable given that the place is so close to the beach. Who doesn't wanna shower after swimming at the beach?? You can sort of shower off, but all the sand went to one side of the tub (it wasn't level), and it took me about 5-10 minutes to get it all down the drain so that we could use the bath.

Again, considering how comparitively new the building is, there's no excuse for not having a better shower arrangement. Especially for a steep price.

-Last bad point. . .evidently 'Bed & Breakfast' doesn't necessarily mean that you get breakfast!! Probably the most irksome thing (even though it might be small thing) is that you are only afforded one complimentary breakfast PER STAY (which was NOT mentioned on their website, to my knowledge. But they sure touted the 'compimentary breakfast'). Therefore, I stayed 2 nights but only got one breakfast. Would it really bite into profits that much to provide me another bowl of granola with about 1/3 cup of milk like I got the first morning?? Again, for $400/night I expect MUCH more than that.

Bottom line, the room was nice. But in my opinion, it was a $120 room that I paid $412 for. I could have gone to the Ritz Carlton for $400/night and felt much, MUCH more pampered. Yes, it wouldn't have been next to the beach, but that doesn't justify the expense to me. Maybe my expectations were a little too high, but I don't think so. I've stayed in MUCH nicer places (and near the beach, too!), for not even close to $400/night.

Decent place. Worth the price? Not. Even. Close.

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Sorry about all of that noise. The two lots behind me were developing new condo units from the ground up. They are done now and that is no longer an issue. As far as the trains, yes we have them and they do pass at night. We try to tell our guests and do provide the ear plugs. Honestly we found this to be more of an issue in cases like this when a portion of the stay was noisy over all. I am not denying the concern, but want to say most of our guests don’t comment or do enjoy the trains. I built this 5 story building in 1989 from the ground up. I am a general contractor and want the world to know the suggestions of, “poor sound insulation and cheep design,” are far from true. This building is constructed with R- 19 insulation in all common walls, floors and ceilings. Rooms are framed from 2”X6” studs or cement full grouted block they have ½” sound board behind 5/8” type X sheetrock, (drywall.) All floors have 1-1/2” poured-in-place light weight concrete below the carpet or hardwood finishes. Ceilings also have R-19 fiberglass insulation between the joists and the 5/8” drywall is on sound channels to provide additions space insulation from floor and ceiling joist to reduce sold sound transmissions. Doors are solid core, and all windows are dual glazed glass for additional sound reduction. There is nothing that existed in 1989 to reduce sound that was not used in the design and construction of this building. That said, I do apologize for the noise you heard upstairs. From the description of the room you are commenting about, I know above you is where I live. We are very sensitive to our guests below. I can only think at the times you experienced noise from above, we either had a dinner party in our kitchen above, or any one of our 6 grand kids could have been giving Thomas the Train a workout above you, sorry. We really do try to keep it down, but this time, it was us! I did replace the hand shower in that room to a full shower head. I did receive a lot of comments about it. Thank You. I really don’t know what happened to your breakfast. That is a mystery to me. We give every guest a breakfast every day they stay, we just messed up in your case. Come on back, I know you will be lot happier! Rick Anderson, Owner

Reviewed May 7, 2006

My husband and I stayed last weekend on May 5th after deciding to make an impromtu trip up the coast. I read the reviews here on Trip Advisor (my travelling bible) and booked a room. I agree with the last review that it is a bit over priced and we did not feel we got our "money's worth", but overall a good stay. We stayed in the "Casa Escondido" is what I think the room was called. It is on the second floor with a lovely view. Keep in mind that the train is RIGHT THERE and will blow every hour or so. If you are noise sensitive, this will bother you. Also, the jacuzzi above us was on for a long time at night and created a very disturbing sound in our room. As the other guest stated, soundproofing has not been considered here. If you stay in the room we stayed in also keep in mind that your front window will be filled with dining guests by 8am. We had not been made aware of this either, although we did think the staff was kind, when you could find them. I found the bed to be very comfortable, we loved the flat-screen HD television and thought the overall decor was decent. It is 3 star accomodations at 4 star prices. Coffee was not made for us in the morning, we made the coffee, which I don't mind, but again if you are paying those prices it would be nice to have it made for you. Breakfast was okay. Overall, we would not come back, but enjoyed our time.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank Appleshaker
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed April 4, 2006

We stayed one night here on April 2nd. The room was beautiful and the view of the ocean from the 3rd floor shared deck was breathtaking. The bed was incredibly comfortable and inviting. So much so that I was able to easily fall back asleep after being woken up by the staff clomping up and down the wooden steps and deck outside the room.

Unfortunately, construction was happening on the street in back of the hotel and though we were in the front, we could still hear it. I could easily overlook these things.

But when it came time to check out, my boyfriend brought our bags down to the lobby and asked the front desk person to keep an eye on them while he got the car and while I did a final check of the room. I came downstairs a few minutes later to find the lobby unattended and the front doors propped wide open. We loaded up the car and waited...and waited...a line formed with other guests waiting to check out. 20 minutes later, the front desk person reappeared unapologetic.

So - it's still worth a try since it seems to be the best in town. You might find it overpriced for what is offered. Something is missing for the rates they charge but I'm not sure what it is. We will not return because of the poor soundproofing and checkout experience.

• Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

First I am glad you loved that you stayed with us! I am happy to announce the construction behind us is now finished and along with my morning employees, there will no longer be loud noise in the morning to wake anyone up. The employee who left the desk and your luggage unattended is no longer with us, however, as you know this is a five story building and their job duties require them to often leave the desk and go up onto the decks. We now have installed a communication system at the front desk that guests and visitors can page the on duty employee to avoid any of the unnecessary waiting you experienced. Thanks to suggestions like yours, we have corrected the problem. I have also installed a gate and re-configured the lobby and now luggage can be placed behind the desk in a more secure area. We’re getting it! Come see us again. Rick Anderson, Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Clemente
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach
The Patriots Boutique Motel
The Patriots Boutique Motel
#9 of 18 in San Clemente

Been to Casa Tropicana? Share your experiences!