“perfect wedding night”

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Carlsbad, Ca
“perfect wedding night”
Reviewed March 15, 2009

casa tropicana is a beautiful little beach hotel right across from the peir in San Clemente. We spent our night after our wedding there and it was perfect. From the early check in to the champagne, rose petals, and chocolate covered strawberries when we returned, it was great! Not to mention the full ocean view, and the friendliest service in San Clemente. We will be back on on our one year anniversary and I will recommend it to any visitors that I have coming to SC.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vanessahurtado

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
beach
Reviewed March 3, 2009

The location is great the hotel is wonderful but the amenities and service is what tips the scales for me. The room was immaculate! As soon as I walked in I was instantly relaxed and on vacation. It was beautifully decorated and comfortable.
The staff was incredible. When I say staff I mean everyone from the owner, front desk, cleaning, and cooks. Very warm, helpful and accommodating. It's the little thoughtful things that make a nice hotel an excellent hotel. The location alone would have allowed the owner to skip over extras. Fortunately, for us every little detail is thought of from complimentary snacks and drinks in the room and in common area to beach towels, blankets and chairs for the beach. There was even a stack of worthy reading material available. I also want to compliment the in room description folder, it was functional and funny. We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank corkyhorse
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 26, 2009

My husband took me to Casa Tropicana for a surprise birthday trip (which included all of my best friends and my sisters). We lived in San Clemente several years ago and had always heard wonderful things about this cute boutique hotel, and it did not disappoint. Our room was great, the bed was super comfortable, and the breakfast each morning was amazing. We were the only guests at the hotel and did not have to share the balcony with anyone else, which was very nice. The train didn not bother us one bit- the hotel provides earplugs! The staff is very friendly and accomodating. It was a fabulous trip, and we will definitely stay at Casa Tropicana again!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank questrange
sherman oaks, ca
Reviewed December 24, 2008

[my first letter was long, but it flew into web-land, so another try because it was so worth it!]

My husband and I celebrated my 75th Birthday and our 5th Wedding Anniversary at the Casa Tropicana Inn in San Clemente. This is a place I close my eyes, click my heels and wish I could go back.

It is right across the street from the old Fishing Pier (that has a great Fish Restaurant), and just above a great fine-dining restaurant.

it is so beautiful and homey. There is a community kitchen for the 8 rooms, full of offerings for the taking. A microwave (and pop corn), coffee maker and fridge are for our use. And the room fridge is stocked with champagne, wine, water and soft drinks, plus cheese and fruit. All part of the ticket.

There is no pool except there is a spa for the posh apartment on the top floor. We were across the street from the ocean, so who cared. Also there is a new 2 1/2 mile walking path is next to the sand and they have swings and play equip. for kiddies.

Metrolink stops just in front. It's handy and a short walk from the charming shopping area. Like a secret and less costly La Jolla.

And, speaking of costs. During the off season and this trying economy, bargains can be had. Call the management and see if you can strike a deal. It's smart, friendly, perfectly located and the fire place in the room works with a switch and kept us warm on winter nights.

We loved it. And a tip: "Sonny's" pizza and italian restaurant was plentiful and really excellent.

My husband and I have done a lot of 'sophisticated' traveling, well known venues and 4/5 star hotels. But we've rarely been so happy and relaxed than our stay at Casa Tropicana. (Maybe it's because our spa tub in the bathroom was big enough for two?)

Jackie Joseph-Lawrence

• Liked — the people, the rooms, the location
  • Disliked — we did not stay long enough
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
los angeles
Reviewed December 3, 2008

We wanted a relaxing bed and breakfast by the sea. Unfortunately we didn't quite get our relaxing weekend. We booked via the hotel website which was convenient. Phone conversations with the hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Upon arrival on Saturday night we were shown to our second floor 'ocean view' room. Immediately we noticed the 'common balcony' mentioned by the website was immediately outside our ocean view window. If we wanted to see the ocean we had to look through the many people on the balcony literally inches from our room window. Zero privacy. After dinner we returned to a full-on party on the balcony. Their cigarette smoke had entered the room thru our open window but since there is no air conditioning we could not get rid of it. The seating area is immediately outside the window and it sounded like a dorm party all night. Next morning the hotel staff told us this large smoking and drinking group had been warned the night before we arrived. We could not risk another sleepless night so we left a day early on Sunday. We did get our one day $$ returned. If we had not been on the party balcony this might have been relaxing but it is too expensive and not very private. I would recommend this B&B for young party goers or those planning on staying on the private penthouse floor away from the noise and smoking. The train rumbling thru at 2AM is also mentioned by others. The hotel staff is not there overnight so we could not get them involved so we had to try and chase the partyers off the balcony ourselves. In summary, cute location, lots of noise, tiny rooms, pretty overpriced, but nice folks running it.

• Liked — convenient website, nice staff
  • Disliked — overpriced, smoking/noise immediately outside our room, party atmosphere
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank zack7los_angeles
casatrop, Rick Anderson, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, February 14, 2009
Privacy at Casa Tropicana is very much available!

Well…I’ve got to admit; you’ve got me on the common decks. And I will also agree, sometimes guests fail to respect other people’s sanctuary. Our inn sits on a lot that is 40 feet wide and 80 feet deep, it was very hard to fit all we have here in our five stories and get all the privacy we would love to provide all of our guests. The majority of time our guests are very respectful and considerate of each other. I am sorry that wasn’t your case.

However there are options. I have to guess you stayed in one of the ocean front rooms on the second floor. That floor has five rooms that for the most part quietly share the common deck. As I am sure you noticed, at night when we light the candles on your glassed topped whicker tables, and comfy cushioned chairs, the romantic Pacific and softly lit San Clemente wooden pier, hosted by the dark starry nights are so romantic, most couples sit in silence. As noted in several reviews, we provide a bottle of champagne, chardonnay, and merlot upon arrival…free to each and ever room. In my 19 years of owing and operating our inn, the vast majority of our guests take this special evening time to enjoy their provided drinks, crystal clear Catalina Island sunsets, and full moon beamed ocean to rekindle their relationships and appreciate where they have come to rest for that night. It is mostly quiet conversations and hand holding. With most guests coming and going to dinners and nightly entertainment at different times, it is unusual for more that two couples even share the decks at the same times.

On our third floor there are only two rooms that share the same sized deck as below, which are as wide as the whole building. This may provide more privacy for those seeking it. But the ultimate world wide room to enjoy just your selves is the fifth floor penthouse!

The whole floor and private gated deck is yours. Complete with your own 8 foot square Jacuzzi on the outside deck corner over look. A private outdoor dry sauna for two, with your wet bar and refrigerator stocked full of free goodies and adult beverages as in every room. If anyone is looking for privacy, you will never beat this experience.

I must let every one know, Sue and I live on site! Our home is on the forth, and rear of the fifth floor. The inn is NEVER unattended. Having only 8 rooms it is impractical to operate a 24 hour front desk. All anyone, anytime needs to do to contact staff or ourselves, is dial the Casa Tropicana phone number, (949) 492-1234. You can always contact someone 24 hours a day that way. Please no midnight condo salesmen, thank you. And sorry, just one more thing….there is a train, its does go by, and each engineer may sound a horn at different levels. It is federally mandated due to the crossing at the pier. Most guests say it adds to the romance. Come see for your selves!

Rick Anderson
Owner
Northern California
Reviewed October 25, 2008

My wife and I were to attend a business meeting in San Clemente so we created a mini 5-day vacation out of it. We were fortunate enough to be able to secure the top floor (Penthouse) of the Casa Tropicana.

It was an absoutely wonderful experience! The view of the beach, San Clemente Pier and the Pacific Ocean cannot be matched, and the amenities and fixtures in the room were over the top...including a very well stocked complimentary refrigerator (wine, snacks, juices, etc).

The breakfasts were a real treat, and freshly prepared by very happy staff.

The real treat, however, was the Hosts, Rick & Sue! You will never meet a more gracious, fun loving and concientious couple. They are very well connected locally, and will make sure your stay is beyond your expectations.

• Liked — The great location
  • Disliked — We had to leave
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank VictorianVillager
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed September 25, 2008

The website makes this place look a lot better than it is. The room was very tiny. The bathroom fixtures need to be updated. It faced on a common porch which was noisy when people gathered. It was hot because we had to close the window to try to prevent some of the noise. The train came through two to three times an hour and the noise kept us awake. The breakfast was almost non-existent. There wasn't even any juice, and nothing was fresh.
We requested a ground floor room which we got, but there was quite a climb to get there and since my husband has knee problems, which I explained when I booked the room, I wish someone had told us about the stairs. The only thing we liked was the view and being across the street from the beach.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank JenniferjOnes51
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, October 23, 2008
You should have stayed for Breakfast

I first would like to say our website is considered to be one of the best examples in the industry. Our web designers Wowi-Zowi Productions, builds and designs websites for inns all over the nation, and several for inns in Hawaii. All the information and pictures are accurate and hove not been altered to deceive our buying public. That would be very short sighted. I have always tried to undersell, and over deliver. This can be confirmed by reading further reviews about us.

I apologize for your in-appreciation of our bathroom fixtures, I like them! I picked them out because the chrome and white porcelain fluted bases and levers go with our décor. This is actually the first negative comment I have received on our selection of bath fixtures, but it is noted non-the-less.

Thank you for your comments about the weather. Being on the beach in Southern California with our mostly onshore breezes, air conditioning is rarely ever needed, but sometimes we get the Santa Ana winds from the east and a heat wave now and then. This summer I received a few comments requesting AC. I have already begun adding units to some of our rooms. I will continue to install them this winter. Anyone with this request can let us know and we will direct you to the rooms with AC that are available. It’s my goal to install a unit to each room.

Trains do come by the property and that is disclosed on our website. But it’s your comments about our breakfast that really makes me wonder if you even stayed the night with us. There are two kinds of juice, orange and apple, both in your room! Breakfast is hot and fresh served each morning with several fresh selections including scrambled eggs with cilantro, hot fresh breakfast burritos, Mexican dishes, boiled eggs, breakfast cereals, fresh daily fruit salad, (prepared each and every morning!) With much more, along with hot pressed coffee of your selection with several baked goods including bagels and many toppings of you choice to certainly make anyone who was here for breakfast, happy.

I regret we were not clear about understanding your husband’s knee problems. We certainly could have accommodated him without using stairs, especially if your reservations were far enough in advance to take advantage of our, “at grade,” rooms.

We are all very happy that you did, “Enjoy the views, and being across the street from the beach,” just like our website promises.

Rick Anderson
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach
San Clemente Inn
San Clemente Inn
#5 of 18 in San Clemente

Been to Casa Tropicana? Share your experiences!