“Casa tropics a”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
South Bend, Indiana
“Casa tropics a”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had a wonderful stay. Location is great for beach time, interesting walk to downtown with fabulous farmer's market on Sunday. Room was clean and stocked with munches-too any sweet items for me. The food bar was on the same floor as my room. I loved being able to easily get my French press coffee early in the morning. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nanci2013
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thanks so much for your great comments! We all love it when you love it! I agree with the great fresh taste of our morning coffees made in our French presses. Nothing is better.

See ya soon…
Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Santa Barbara, California, United States
Reviewed August 14, 2013

It is not often I am moved to take pen to paper, but in this case, I feel I must comment on our excellent stay at the Casa Tropicana Inn in San Clemente, CA a few weeks ago. We discovered a lovely little romantic inn right across the street from a beautiful and inviting beach. The ocean view was second to none, the rooms lavishly decorated, and the ambiance perfect. The Innkeeper, Patti, was extremely nice, and could not have been more helpful. She is truly an asset to Casa Tropicana, and she made our stay delightful. We really enjoyed watching a fantastic sunset on the deck, followed by a magnificent Jacuzzi bath in our room. We highly recommend Casa Tropicana and will definitely return as soon as possible.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view!
4 Thank Martin G
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
I am so glad we moved you! Your experience and praise reflects all that we strive to deliver to each of our guests. The whole team is always happy to know we’ve hit our target. Please hurry back, and keep telling your friends too!

West Covina, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I searched for a place to stay with my family before and after our wedding, and stumbled upon the Casa Tropicana Patron Condo.

The location is ideal. The beach is shallow very far out and my 9-year old and I had a blast. There are restaurants right downstairs and the downtown area is a short walk.

Pros and Cons... When we first got there, the lady at the front desk took us to our rooms. we had one room, and also the condo. My first thought was, oh my, flies! Flies on every deck... a lot of them! It doesn't bother me, but I was worried what my family would think. Well, they are kelp flies... they don't land on anything... no worries - it is all party of the experience of being at the beach!

The website claims that the Patron Condo sleeps 6. I was told that the third room is not a bedroom, but a little area with a sleeper sofa for two, when I booked the reservation. This is what I expected. But, when I showed up, I noticed that the "sleeper sofa" was not such. I called the after hours number and the owner, Rick, answered. He told me that they usually lay the cushions on the ground to make a bed. Whaaaa? When he noticed my confusion, he immediately offered to bring a roll-out bed for us (despite the fact that it was Saturday night and he out out with his wife). The two roll out beds in that room worked great for us.

The dishes in the condo were dirty. It looks like the last person that stayed was lazy and rude. The dishes were all nasty, not washed. I mentioned this to the lady at the front desk at the end of our trip, she was very apologetic. I was not upset, but thought they should know that checking the dishes might be a good thing. ;)

I was there getting ready for our wedding, and sweating, like crazy... just after I got my hair and make-up done... trying to get into my wedding dress. LOL... I called downstairs to let them know the air wasn't working, and the front desk told me, "We live at the beach. We do not have air. Open the windows and doors, turn on the fans". The owner, Rick, quickly brought a fan up to us to help with air circulation. It did help.

The train - if you do not like noise, don't stay here! Me, on the other hand, well I LOVE the sound of the train. Again, all part of the experience! And, our two babies in the family loved it too... everytime the train would come by, we ran outside to wave buh-bye!

The condo is large, roomy, beautifully decorated. The staff quickly responded to any request. The location is to die for. Gorgeous views, the pier right outside, the experience of the train... I loved it!

The single room that I got in addition ( because my family could not all fit in the condo) was super small, cute, clean, and had a lot of complimentary goodies.

No elevator (at least I did not see one). So, I am happy my grandma decided not to come with us!

We loved it... I want to stay every year for our anniversary, but maybe next time we will get the condo and the penthouse, right above the condo. This would be a great mix!!

Or - the b&b is for sale... hmmmmmm... seems like a lot of work, but I am going to look into it!

Great place! Great staff! NOTE: this place is not for everyone... but it is why it makes it so unique and a fun stay. Stay away if you are stuffy and require amenities of the Ritz Carlton. If you are down-to-earth, and love the beach and outdoors, make this a regular place to stay!

Room Tip: For a small family, the condo is awesome!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Suzy C
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thanks you for all of your comments. Sue and I are really glad we could make your wedding day special! Weddings are really big events and we are especially glad we could help you through all of your wedding needs for you, and all of your family and friends. I agree the Casa de Patron is a great place to stage a wedding. It’s about 2,500 square feet of ocean front living! And it’s big enough for everyone to get ready for a wedding in. Please hurry back.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a vacation and it was an added bonus that the Superbowl game was on. Let me tell you, it was the best way to watch a game ever!! The "Trop" has the best view of the San Clemente pier and main beach. We were able to relax on the deck and scope out the scene below for hours. The rooms were so comfy and and "homey" and the staff was very personable and helpful. We will definitely be back to checkout the sunset again soon!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
A lot of our guests do just simply check in, and check out. They just relax and sometimes we never even got to meet them. But not everyone gets to have the Super Bowl played for them when they relax. I’m glad we could make a special Super memory for the both of you!

Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I arrived at the Tropicana to a friendly greeting by Patty, who showed me to my room, the Del Sol. The room was freshly prepared, clean and bright, full extra amenities like snacks and free beverages - juice and water in the fridge.

The bed was comfortable, television had many unexpected extra channels including music. The bathroom was well stocked with personal care items - lotion, shampoo, conditioner, cotton balls and salts for the tub. Bathrobes and towels are nice quality and well stocked.

Morning coffee supplies are always available, coffee is good quality. Drinking my coffee out on the patio watching the crowds at the pier was a pleasure.

As a San Clemente native, I've always wanted an excuse to stay at the tropicana to try it out - a friends wedding was the perfect reason! I stayed for 4 nights and had a wonderful experience all the way around. Each day the room was taken good care of, the staff was always pleasant. Sunsets restaurant served a great salad as well the one time I dined there.

All in all I definitely recommend the Tropicana!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Four days isn’t quite long enough is it? From the sound of your great comments I think you could have stayed a month! We love taking care of our guests and I’m glad you did get a good long stay with us. I’m just sorry you took so long to come and check us out. We do get a lot of locals staying with us. They agree it’s like a little piece of paradise. Don’t stay away so long next time. See you soon.
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We always have a memorable time at "The Trop" as the locals call it. My boyfriend and I have been here a handful of times. We love the location with tons of fun places to eat downstairs- pizza, diner(ish) breakfast, GREAT seafood, creperie, sushi, etc. and the heart of San Clemente a quick walk up the hill. Sunday farmer's market is fun!

The staff is friendly and accommodating. The rooms (our favorite is Clemente) are very clean and nicely done with a cool beach style. They make you feel welcome by extra special touches like reggae music when you walk in the room, snacks, beach gear at your disposal, daily paper, lots of good magazines- my favorite way to relax. You can even request champagne, roses, and chocolate covered strawberries. People watching from up above is really fun, especially in busy summer months. We make a game of it! It's a view unlike any other AND if you don't feel like lugging gear to the beach you can lounge on the deck and still hear the waves and kids having fun in the ocean- nice option for us fair skinned folk (who like to have a private bathroom and a cocktail nearby).

I always think it would be a great place for a solo get-away because the rooms are private- who wants to share a bathtub anyway- you can get up and go to the beach, grab dinner or room service on the way back and just RELAX alone! Movie channels are a luxury to us too :)

A good review from us is long overdue. We've been staying for years and love it! We'll keep coming back.

Room Tip: Spring for the pent-house if you can. Complete privacy- well worth it. You'll feel like a King...
1 Thank taylor m
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you. I need to hire you as our PR person! Thanks for pointing out there are lots of great reasons to say with us here at Casa Tropicana. I could say it, but I couldn’t say it any better. One comment you did make about recommending the Penthouse, Casa del Rey. You said besides being well worth it for the great privacy, you commented; You’ll feel like a king! Well Casa del Rey means; House of the King, or; the Kings House! Again, I couldn’t have said it any better.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My parents recently travelled half way around the world to visit me here in San Clemente. They stayed here after I had checked out the rooms and thought the place seemed good. Unfortunately the Casa Tropicana failed to meet our very reasonable expectations on multiple occasions. I was very disappointed to hear from my parents that they had been without hot water to shower with (or to use the spa bath) on multiple occasions during their 4 night stay. After notifying the staff there was little urgency taken in their actions and rather apathetic, uncaring attitudes. This place is not exactly cheap to stay at, and you would expect at the VERY LEAST that you would have hot water available to you for bathing/showering at all times. Other issues were that the TV wasn't working when they wanted to watch it after returning from dinner one evening (no one around to fix it or address this problem) and I also noticed a tone of sand flies/mosquitos constantly on the balcony/deck area outside their room. This is definitely not desirable and meant that we were unable to sit in this area and enjoy the view. We were all VERY LET DOWN by the Casa Tropicana and I felt compelled to share this online as I hope that this does not happen to other guests. It's really not good enough and it is no wonder that this business is for sale.
Such a shame.....

5 Thank littlemisstravellerr
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
No Hot Water is a Disaster!
Yes, we did have a hot water crisis! When your hot water heater goes down it is a very big problem...huge. I can guarantee you no one took it lightly or apathetically. I live here too and we had the same experience. I can promise you this is a very serious matter. The failure occurred late in the evening and was back up by 10:00/10:30 the next morning. I can show from the emergency call bills I was very serious about this. However, our tank less instant hot water system did not completely fail. It did produce warm water, not hot enough to use the in room spa with, but warm enough to shower with, as my wife and I did. Not acceptable, but satisfactory until the repairs were made and reasonable under these trying conditions.

I am very sorry but sometimes things are well beyond my control. I acted diligently and successfully to resolve the problem in a very fashionable time. We were full at the time and all of the other guests were understanding, so I thank them for that. It makes it easier with things go wrong.

I cannot address the TV problem because we were unaware, and still have no knowledge of it. Apparently they we’re able to fix it, or it fixed itself. We have no record of a call for service on it and its working fine now. We are beach front, we do get sand, and we do sweep the decks daily, I’m sorry you caught us with sand on the deck. However we do not have mosquitos here, but sometimes do have harmless kelp flies that will hover in dead air spaces for a day or so.

I am glad after you researched you options for your parents you did choose us for them. We try to make everyone happy whether they come from next door, or half way around the world. Each and every one is very important to us. Sue, my staff, and I are very sorry that you feel we let your parents down. My front desk staff felt very bad and took your comments personally that they failed you. They also send you their sincerest apologies.

Finally, I resent the cheap shot at me personally insinuating I have turned away from my responsibilities as the owner and innkeeper because after 23 years of successful operation that I have decided to sell my property! Sue and I now have 8 grandchildren, and when I built this project in 1999 my plan was always to someday sell and hopefully retire. I feel no shame in pursuing the American Dream.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Clemente
#5 of 18 in San Clemente
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Casa Tropicana? Share your experiences!