“Casa Tropicana Was A Vacation Saver!”
Review of Casa Tropicana

Casa Tropicana
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Reviewed May 25, 2013

After leaving a horrible hotel down the street, we went walking to see what else was available.
Casa Tropicana said they had a couple of rooms for us to choose from. It is renovated and breakfast is included in the price. The staff were all very friendly and accommodating. It has a lovely view of the pier and the Pacific.
Only down side is the Amtrak train runs by from 5:00am until about 10:00pm. They give you ear plugs to try to make up for that!
We had a lovely stay, to what may have started as a very bad experience down the street. We highly recommend!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back with no view are quieter. Rooms in from have train noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tovah N
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

I am glad we had the chance to rescue your getaway! We enjoy being the only Boutique Inn in San Clemente or for that matter in South Orange County, plus being right at the beach! Unfortunately we do share our piece of paradise with the railroad. Currently our city and the railroad are working on agreements to make this area a Quiet Zone. We’re hoping this happens very soon. When it’s approved, the passing trains will no longer need to sound their horns! But I know that won’t keep you from coming back for now. See you again very soon.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

My family and I just returned from spending 3 nights at the Casa Tropicana. This place is awesome in every sense of the word. My wife is generally very picky and considers herself an expert in the hotel industry since she has watch every episode of Hotel Impossible. Nevertheless, she loved this place as much as I did. We rented two rooms since my growed up children were with us. Both rooms were incredibly clean and comfortable. The treat baskets given to us each day were delightful. Liz, Patty, Marjorie, and team are all wonderful. They really pampered us and made us all feel welcome. I normally do not leave reviews but I feel compelled to brag for this group since they are all so committed. On top of everything, this hotel is located in the most perfect spot of San Clemente. The pier is directly across the street and the restaurants nearby are very good. Specifically, there is a place next door that specializes in crapes...delicious! We plan to come back to Casa Tropicana again someday. I highly recommend this place to all.

ROBERT

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert V

Isn’t it great when you can spend more time here? Thanks for your great glowing reviews about our great team! We know we’re so much a part of your experience. Although Hotel Impossible is somewhere I never hope to show up, In this case I love the reference! Yes we do provide plenty of great snacks and breakfast treats, and it’s hard to beat enjoying them being ocean front from your view decks!
Sue and I can’t wait for your return. Don’t wait too long!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed here recently. I'm not one to splurge on a hotel room, but thought I would this time as a treat to myself and girlfriend. We were both in bad need of a trip out of town. While the place is really nice, it's not worth the $340 a night. For that price, I was expecting a nice serene, trouble free stay. Given our experience, I'd hope to find better places to stay closer to the $200 price point. I know all about the trains, having lived that close to a crossing for years, so I was prepared for that. What I wasn't prepared for was the fact that the hotel rooms are immediately above a bar/restaurant playing thumping-loud music into the late hours -- this was much worse than the occasional train! Sadly, I probably would not have minded if in fact the owner hadn't been so rude earlier in the night. See, unbeknownst to us at first, hotel guests are confined to the lower two floors of the building. When exploring the "shared deck", we went to see levels other than the first level our room was on. Unfortunately, we didn't see a sign on an open gate facing a wall which indicated the upper levels were for the owners and their guests only. She approached us and made me feel stupid that I missed a sign that no one could have read since the words on the sign were facing the wall! She really put a damper on the entire rest of our stay. Anyway, she was throwing some party upstairs, and later I had to play doorman for one of her guests that got locked out of the main gate and just stood at the door whining for someone to let her in. We even had guests coming down from above (the main stairway was right in front of our main window -- not much privacy if you wanted to enjoy the ocean view!) with plates of food saying they were having a party. Geez...

On behalf of the two staff members we encountered -- they could not have been nicer! :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joe P
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

I apologize for the music at Sunsets Restaurant below. Although they do provide great room service to our guests, every now and then they do forget to keep the doors or windows closed, or the music can get too loud. They respond great if anyone lets them know. I also upon learning they are disturbing our guests can quiet them down with just a call. Our guests largely prefer the mellow entertainment below and not having to drive anywhere for a nice evening. I have shown their management your comments so they understand how they impact our guests. Thanks for the comments, they do help.

Sue and I do live on the property, on the 4th floor. Occasional we do entertain guests. The event you speak of was for my Rotary Club. It was a going away for 5 international business people who were hosted by a Global Study Exchange from the Netherlands here for the week departing on that Sunday evening. If you know Rotarian’s, they average about 65-70 years old. About 20 of them came around 6:30 and were gone before 9:00pm. I sincerely apologize for their miss behavior of disturbing you when they came up/down the stairs to our home. The gate should have been open. Thank you for being gracious enough to let them in for me. Had I known I would have opened the gate to relieve you of the door man duty.

I really don’t know how to respond to the accusation that my wife was rude to you. I regret you feel she/anyone made you feel stupid. It’s just not her character. Anything I could say would just be prejudiced as I am her husband and have seen her interact with guests for years. Additionally, I hope any guest of ours would not have been rude to you either. We will be more aware of it. Sorry to have offended you.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

The service was excellent and the location was wonderful. It is right across the street from the Pier. The Inn has many amenities including quality coffee and a fabulous breakfast. The best room is 101, and has a spectacular view of the ocean. Don't miss Casa Romantica. Enjoy!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

I can’t, nor couldn’t say it any better than that! So all I’m going to say is, “Thank you for making us feel good!”

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Where to start? The rooms are so cozy, especially if you get a fire place. My second time here, the first time was with my wife about a year ago and we loved it. They set up the room special for us, had our favorite music playing when we walked in. I love the view of the ocean from the patio. You can make your own breakfast & yummy coffee, staff is very nice. I would stay here every time I pass through if I could afford it. Pricy, but well worth it.

Room Tip: Each room is uniquely designed, some have kitchens, fire places, jacuzzi's and etc. Your only to...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SanLucasRSM

Sue and I are glad you keep coming back! However we’d like to stress you really don’t need to wait a whole year between visits. We’re here year round for you! And just to let you know, We have just lowered our prices a bit. I’d like to see more of everyone and thought this would be a great way to get it going. Hurry back,

Reviewed February 19, 2013

A breathtaking view of the ocean, beautifully decorated rooms, and the friendliest staff of a bed and breakfast... who could ask for more?

I have found my new and only place to vacation here in So Cal. I wish we could have stayed longer, but we had to return to reality sooner or later. I can't explain the perfection they displayed here at the Casa Tropicana Inn in San Clemente.

It was right across the street from the pier and Fisherman's Restaurant.

Housekeeping, I forgot her name, is the nicest lady I met that really cared about how we liked our entire stay there, and was open to comments and suggestions. She has been there for 23 years, since the day they opened- as it still there! That tells you something... that they treat their staff like family. Also, the front desk lady, forgot the name also, she ALSO has been there since the day they opened and she is sooo friendly as well! The owners must be caring and nice for them because what staff would work there for two decades if they weren't being treated kindly. I mean, that is so awesome! It feels like they are all family.

They keep the entire exterior and interior very tidy, nicely decorated, and feeling homely, but a very nice, like if it was YOUR home nice.

All I kept thinking about was how much my family would enjoy this place!!!
IT IS DEFINITELY A HIDDEN GEM OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA that I now consider my favorite vacation spot closest to home.

I even got used to the train sounds which I wasn't really used to at first. So now, honest to truth, every time I hear or see a train go by, I think of the most relaxing time I had at Casa Tropicana Inn in beautiful, sunny San Clemente!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mina R
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Thank you for staying with us!

All of us here at Casa Tropicana Boutique Beach Front Inn are delighted you had such a wonderful time here at our sea side getaway! Especially our staff as you had so many wonderful complements for them. And yes, our housekeeper, Liz has been with us since before day one, over 23 years ago. Her brother was working setting tiles on the decks of our new building and I needed someone to help clean the windows after the plastering of the exterior of then inn. He recommended Liz. She started part time to help clean up, and then she helped unwrap the new bed linen’s and make the first beds. We had our first check in and she did the first room turn…and never left us. She truly is family. All of our grandkids now call her grandma Liz.

All of our staff has been happily working for us for years, and why not…look where they get to work! Thank you for saying so many wonderful things about our operation.

Please come back and say to hi to Sue or I next time you get to stay with us! We look forward to it.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

we are locals and went down to san clemente for farmers market and then decided to stay the night beachside at casa tropicana. the room was great the view was awesome . the service was terrific they gave use free champagne, rose petals on the bed, breakfast in the morning on the deck. great overnight stay . the restaurant downstairs is also very good under a new chef. very romantic and alot of fun . 4 stars thanks everyone who works there
just know this is san clemente by the pier and there is a train , but hey who cares

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 23mrb
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

My wife Sue and I love it when guests come by from not too far away and enjoy a little romantic getaway with us here the San Clemente pier! This is actually why I build the inn back in 1989. When I first saw the property I knew it was too beautiful not to share. That’s why I decided to buy the land and build our little Inn right here. We are especially glad you enjoyed our great staff and little extras. Thanks for coming by and please hurry back!
Rick Anderson Owner