“Casa Tropicana San Clemente: Awesome beachfront Inn”
Review of Casa Tropicana

Casa Tropicana
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Reviewed April 18, 2008

Location location location! This is one of the coolest beach front properties my wife and I have ever been to...right off the pier in San Clemente and walking distance to downtown, this 8 room inn has some of the best views of the California Coast imaginable. The pier and beach are right across the street-easy access for rays and brews. (There's a mega beach restaurant complex flanking both sides of the pier, loaded with locals, tourists.
Each room at the CasaT is unique....it was built by a local contractor almost by hand, stands five stories....each morning you have a pot of fresh coffee on your virtually private sun deck ( you share with two other rooms per floor) There's a great basket of snacks in the fridge for morning and a big beach bag full of towels, sunscreen, serape for the sand, beach games (the neon paddles and ball). We didn't get to see it, but were told there's a penthouse on the top floor (newleyweds were hunkered down for the weekend.) For breakfast we walked a few blocks up toward town and dined at Cafe Mimosa-well worth the walk. All in all a great place to get some true California coast!

TheAmericanFoodie

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheAmericanFoodie

Reviewed April 13, 2008

This gem of a B/B took me by surprise and was an amazing weekend of sun, surf, siestas, and sunsets. The owners and staff were totally committed to a great stay. Beach chairs, blankets, and beach towels come with the room! The beds were yummy and so was the sound of the ocean outside my door. This is the place for romance, girls weekend, or families. I'll go back again and again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank moriffic
Reviewed April 9, 2008

Our weekend get away to San Clemente was absolutely perfect. We were greeted by a friendly staff and shown to our beautiful beach-style theme room. We celebrated a 50th birthday party and enjoyed every minute of our stay. We relaxed and enjoyed the ocean view while sipping the complimentary wine on a balcony overlooking the beach, and nostaligia sounds of the occasional train coming threw town. The Tropicana is conveniently located in the heart of the beach community and easily accessible to the beach and local community events. We greatly enjoyed the art show and farmers market, and plan to return again to this wonderful place. The staff, the room, both private and public, the grounds, the food...all absolutely fabulous.

Patrice Long, San Antonio Texas

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank plong12
Reviewed February 12, 2008

We have just returned from a relaxing night at Casa Tropicana. The hotel offers a magnificent view of the ocean. The rooms were luxurious and beautiful. Each room is a unique experience and can be viewed online. They are beautifully decorated with original artwork, flat screen tvs, marble showers or whirlpool tubs.In the evening we could watch the passersby and the sunset and then wake up in the morning and watch the waves from the ocean view decks. In our room was a choice of red and white wines and also a continental breakfast of champagne and orange juice, fruit and muffins. Our daughter loved the snacks and drinks too. There was a lovely cafe nearby for specialty coffees and a delicious breakfast and a little market too in case you forgot anything. The San Clemente Pier and beach are right across the street. The rooms even included private gated parking - a blessing in that area because all the parking is metered or by permits. The owner's son was charming and very helpful. He even stayed later in the evening to accomodate us. There is a commuter train that runs nearby, but we so enjoyed ourselves we didn't mind. I recommend this hotel highly because it offers what many hotels don't today - comfort and luxury at a great price.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank ata12
Reviewed February 9, 2008

Wow, what a place to stay. A 5 star *****
My husband and I saw this place 4 years ago when we were visiting CA and was able to book it this year and now I wished I would not have waited so long to visit.
Not only is the location the best but the decor and bedding was awesome. You felt so comfortable staying there.
The patios were big enough to spread out on a chaise or play cards or visit and watch the waves coming in. You also you get a breathtaking sunset too.
The owners are very nice and down to earth.
I would reccommend this place to anyone I know that are going to CA.
I will be going back soon!!!
Joi & Roger Weber - Iowa

Stayed: January 2008
4  Thank webersIowa
Reviewed February 1, 2008

I found this place on line and I called and spoke with a gentlemen on the phone regarding staying there. The man I talked to was extremely helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable not only about the hotel itself but also the surrounding area and gave us multiple choices as far as restaurants to dine at and things to do nearby. When we checked in, we actually met the same guy I had spoken with on the phone, (his name was Eric) and he even remembered our phone conversation from earlier in the month...we were totally impressed. We stayed in the Casita Clemente room and it was great! I was able to take a bath and see the ocean and fireplace from the tub itself through the room!! We walked out on to the pier right across the street and had appitizers and drinks before walking up the hill to the main street called Del Mar and dining at a great mexican place. Our room had a brand new looking flat screen tv and the room came with complimentary champagne, wines, and cheeses! In the morning, we walked out on to the deck and there was steaming hot coffee waiting for us. We also really enjoyed the breakfast baskets in our room because it allowed us to sleep in and choose from a variety of breakfast snacks. The lady who cleaned our room was also nice and very personable. I will definately be returning there again hopefully soon!!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank irishapp
Reviewed January 22, 2008

I have mixed emotions about Casa Tropicana. If I'd paid $100 less for the room, I'm sure I would call it my favorite place in all the world. But as I mentally chalked up the complaints in my mind during my stay, the less enthusiastic I became about the cute B&B we discoverred..
For this kind of money, you expect total pampering and a killer view from your room. You don't get either at CT. The minimalist staff is hard to find when you need them. The view is only applicable to the shared balconies out front.
The rooms are adorable, but showing lots of signs of wear and tear. The layout of the property can't be changed, so you'll just have to deal with people walking right by your window, which means that glimpse of a view is a moot point anyway. You'll need your blinds closed for privacy. Noisy footsteps outside and a cacophany of plumbing noises all night don't add to the ambience.
And now the cooked breakfast they promise in their brochure has been replaced by Costco muffins and yogurt.
That feeling of being ripped off would be replaced by a happy experience if we hadn't paid top dollar for the room. I think they see themselves in a class where they can't compete effectively given the constraints of their physical property.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IslandBeck
casatrop, Rick Anderson, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2008

I am sorry your stay was not wonderful for you. I don’t know how much was paid as our rooms run from $285 to $775 nightly. They include Jacuzzi tubs, champagne, merlot and chardonnay wines, and lots of munchies, including great Pacific Ocean views you talked about. We are glad it could be your, “Favorite place in all the world.” And I appreciate your comments on how we can work to make it better for you. I will admit in the slowest periods of December and January, we do employ a minimal staff. But as it is our slowest time, it’s also the best time to come and not be over crowded on our beaches and enjoy fantastic Catalina sunset views, and the un crowded wonderful restaurants we have to offer here in San Clemente. In our 8 room B&B Inn, the main ocean view is from the front windows and decks as they face the ocean, but also guests can walk by, as with most outdoor corridors. I will look into the noisy plumbing; I can only assume it’s a maintenance item. I built the building in 1990 and used solid cast iron waste pipes, I strapped and insulated copper for water, and fully insulated every plumbing wall in the building. My wife, Sue and I just completely refurbished and repainted the whole building just last May of 2007, so I will look for additional, “Signs of wear and tear.” The breakfast however is in a state of change. Since I built the building, I owned and operated Rick’s Tropicana Bar & Grill that was located on the first floor. I have recently sold the restaurant and the new owner is not open for breakfast. You may have noticed I have taken out one of our units and through building permits we are constructing a new kitchen on the third floor. I apologize for the temporary inconvenience, but we will be improving on our breakfasts. Please come visit us again. Rick Anderson, Owner