“Beach Paradise”
Review of Casa Tropicana

Casa Tropicana
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Reviewed April 9, 2008

Our weekend get away to San Clemente was absolutely perfect. We were greeted by a friendly staff and shown to our beautiful beach-style theme room. We celebrated a 50th birthday party and enjoyed every minute of our stay. We relaxed and enjoyed the ocean view while sipping the complimentary wine on a balcony overlooking the beach, and nostaligia sounds of the occasional train coming threw town. The Tropicana is conveniently located in the heart of the beach community and easily accessible to the beach and local community events. We greatly enjoyed the art show and farmers market, and plan to return again to this wonderful place. The staff, the room, both private and public, the grounds, the food...all absolutely fabulous.

Patrice Long, San Antonio Texas

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank plong12

Reviewed February 12, 2008

We have just returned from a relaxing night at Casa Tropicana. The hotel offers a magnificent view of the ocean. The rooms were luxurious and beautiful. Each room is a unique experience and can be viewed online. They are beautifully decorated with original artwork, flat screen tvs, marble showers or whirlpool tubs.In the evening we could watch the passersby and the sunset and then wake up in the morning and watch the waves from the ocean view decks. In our room was a choice of red and white wines and also a continental breakfast of champagne and orange juice, fruit and muffins. Our daughter loved the snacks and drinks too. There was a lovely cafe nearby for specialty coffees and a delicious breakfast and a little market too in case you forgot anything. The San Clemente Pier and beach are right across the street. The rooms even included private gated parking - a blessing in that area because all the parking is metered or by permits. The owner's son was charming and very helpful. He even stayed later in the evening to accomodate us. There is a commuter train that runs nearby, but we so enjoyed ourselves we didn't mind. I recommend this hotel highly because it offers what many hotels don't today - comfort and luxury at a great price.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank ata12
Reviewed February 9, 2008

Wow, what a place to stay. A 5 star *****
My husband and I saw this place 4 years ago when we were visiting CA and was able to book it this year and now I wished I would not have waited so long to visit.
Not only is the location the best but the decor and bedding was awesome. You felt so comfortable staying there.
The patios were big enough to spread out on a chaise or play cards or visit and watch the waves coming in. You also you get a breathtaking sunset too.
The owners are very nice and down to earth.
I would reccommend this place to anyone I know that are going to CA.
I will be going back soon!!!
Joi & Roger Weber - Iowa

Stayed: January 2008
4  Thank webersIowa
Reviewed February 1, 2008

I found this place on line and I called and spoke with a gentlemen on the phone regarding staying there. The man I talked to was extremely helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable not only about the hotel itself but also the surrounding area and gave us multiple choices as far as restaurants to dine at and things to do nearby. When we checked in, we actually met the same guy I had spoken with on the phone, (his name was Eric) and he even remembered our phone conversation from earlier in the month...we were totally impressed. We stayed in the Casita Clemente room and it was great! I was able to take a bath and see the ocean and fireplace from the tub itself through the room!! We walked out on to the pier right across the street and had appitizers and drinks before walking up the hill to the main street called Del Mar and dining at a great mexican place. Our room had a brand new looking flat screen tv and the room came with complimentary champagne, wines, and cheeses! In the morning, we walked out on to the deck and there was steaming hot coffee waiting for us. We also really enjoyed the breakfast baskets in our room because it allowed us to sleep in and choose from a variety of breakfast snacks. The lady who cleaned our room was also nice and very personable. I will definately be returning there again hopefully soon!!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank irishapp
Reviewed January 22, 2008

I have mixed emotions about Casa Tropicana. If I'd paid $100 less for the room, I'm sure I would call it my favorite place in all the world. But as I mentally chalked up the complaints in my mind during my stay, the less enthusiastic I became about the cute B&B we discoverred..
For this kind of money, you expect total pampering and a killer view from your room. You don't get either at CT. The minimalist staff is hard to find when you need them. The view is only applicable to the shared balconies out front.
The rooms are adorable, but showing lots of signs of wear and tear. The layout of the property can't be changed, so you'll just have to deal with people walking right by your window, which means that glimpse of a view is a moot point anyway. You'll need your blinds closed for privacy. Noisy footsteps outside and a cacophany of plumbing noises all night don't add to the ambience.
And now the cooked breakfast they promise in their brochure has been replaced by Costco muffins and yogurt.
That feeling of being ripped off would be replaced by a happy experience if we hadn't paid top dollar for the room. I think they see themselves in a class where they can't compete effectively given the constraints of their physical property.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IslandBeck
casatrop, Rick Anderson, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2008

I am sorry your stay was not wonderful for you. I don’t know how much was paid as our rooms run from $285 to $775 nightly. They include Jacuzzi tubs, champagne, merlot and chardonnay wines, and lots of munchies, including great Pacific Ocean views you talked about. We are glad it could be your, “Favorite place in all the world.” And I appreciate your comments on how we can work to make it better for you. I will admit in the slowest periods of December and January, we do employ a minimal staff. But as it is our slowest time, it’s also the best time to come and not be over crowded on our beaches and enjoy fantastic Catalina sunset views, and the un crowded wonderful restaurants we have to offer here in San Clemente. In our 8 room B&B Inn, the main ocean view is from the front windows and decks as they face the ocean, but also guests can walk by, as with most outdoor corridors. I will look into the noisy plumbing; I can only assume it’s a maintenance item. I built the building in 1990 and used solid cast iron waste pipes, I strapped and insulated copper for water, and fully insulated every plumbing wall in the building. My wife, Sue and I just completely refurbished and repainted the whole building just last May of 2007, so I will look for additional, “Signs of wear and tear.” The breakfast however is in a state of change. Since I built the building, I owned and operated Rick’s Tropicana Bar & Grill that was located on the first floor. I have recently sold the restaurant and the new owner is not open for breakfast. You may have noticed I have taken out one of our units and through building permits we are constructing a new kitchen on the third floor. I apologize for the temporary inconvenience, but we will be improving on our breakfasts. Please come visit us again. Rick Anderson, Owner

Reviewed August 30, 2007

I really loved this place. The price is a bit steep (~$300/night) but given the prices in Laguna Beach of mere Holiday Inns I thought it was a great deal.

The rooms are lovely. Really unique with special touches. Who doesn't love a complimentary bottle of white wine, one of red and a bottle of champagne? Also, a pre-packed beach bag with chairs, towels and games?! Perfect. Nice decor, some of the softest beds I've ever slept on and a beautiful hibiscus and shell necklace upon arrival.

The patios are shared but there was never anyone else on them when I was out there. The view of the ocean and the pier is gorgeous and I sat for hours reading my book and listening to the waves.

The check out time is 11am unfortunately and there is really no where to store your bags or shower after the beach if you are flying out later in the day. And there are definitely trains that go by at night. I like trains so I wasn't bothered, but if you are a light sleeper this may be an issue (they have earplugs in the nightstand).

Overall a really lovely property on a quiet beach in a sleepy California town. I'd go back just to stay there - but I wouldn't mind if the rates were lowered a tad ;)

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank VancouverLoki

Thank you for mentioning some of the special things that we do here at Casa Tropicana to make your say more enjoyable. The ocean view patios are very large and comfortable and as you mentioned, and mostly un crowded. The second floor shares the ocean view deck with five rooms, the third floor only with two rooms. Guests can use any one of the decks as they choose, or as your privacy needs dictate. On the fifth penthouse floor, Casa Blanca is a private deck complete with an outdoor 8 person Jacuzzi, dry sauna and wet bar! (Which hold your complementary chilled champagne and chardonnay, you will find your merlot waiting in your room.) Thank you for mentioning the train. As Sue and I live here onsite, we are used to its whistle, and often forget it does come by nightly. We are glad you enjoyed the sounds of the crashing waves, and the trains that compete for your attention. Sensitive sleepers should take advantage of the ear plugs, as they are very comfortable, but a few may find necessary. I am glad you hit on one of our most important features, our comfy over stuffed beds. We can only say, come back and try them again. Hope to see you again soon! Rick Anderson, Owner.

Reviewed August 12, 2007

If you like the clanking and horn blowing of trains all night this is the place for you....beautiful view but obscured by the loud, ugly trains that passed by regularly...very low-rent crowd at the beach, choked on the car and train views....no air conditioning in the rooms, so you can go to sleep with the windows up and hear the crashing waves, but also the loud trains which will wake you up...although SPA is in the name, there is none, I scheduled a massage in my room, therapist never showed...morning breakfast is a joke, weak coffee, vending machine danish, and yogurt.

Room was pretty, but the maid keeps the door open when cleaning, so lots of flies join you. Paitos are all shared, so prepare to be social with your neighbors, rooms are right on top of eachother, so with the windows open (and they are, it's hot with them closed), you can hear all your neighbors say.

Parking in a condo lot down the street, parking and entrance to hotel do not seem safe or secure.

Website oversells this place...for $150 a night, maybe, but $350, they are out of their minds.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank beenaroundtheworld82

I am very sorry the train made your stay with us so unpleasant. Over the last 18 years that we have been here, we rarely have a guest who cannot tolerate the train. I apologize, sincerely. The beach is literally 150 yards before you here at Casa Tropicana, and the train tracks do run between us, from San Diego to Los Angeles. The main advantage is it also stops right at our front door! So if a guest was so inclined they could arrive by train, enjoy our little 8 room inn, walk and shop the shops on our downtown Avenida Del Mar, dine in any one of our fabulous restaurants, return to our wonderful over stuffed beds, and board the morning train back to your destination! Sounds like true romance to me! But, that’s just me. I really know trains are not for everyone. You are correct about the spa. We did remodel a room and changed to become an Inn & Spa, but it didn’t work for our location. Guests found too many other things to do once they arrived and rarely made, or kept spa appointments. So now I have taken out the spa room and converted into Casa Bahama, a two room suite. (Check it out at, casatropicana.com) Some of our old marketing material is still out there, but if you arrive for a spa treatment, we do call our technicians and can get you a treatment in your room. The more notice the better. Thanks for your comment about our name having, “Spa,” in it. We have now changed to, “Casa Tropicana, a Boutique Beach Front Inn.” Sorry about your assessment of our breakfast, I have recently sold the restaurant and the new owner is not open for breakfast. You may have noticed I have taken out one of our units and through building permits we are constructing a new kitchen on the third floor. I apologize for the temporary inconvenience, but we will be improving on our breakfasts soon. The, “weak,” coffee is however “Kona Coffee from Hawaii.” Let us know what you like and we can see of we can get it. Being here at the beach the need for air conditioners is not in big demand. I have however, over the last few years added three AC’s to as many rooms. My goal is to put AC’s in all of the rooms when possible. Thanks for letting me know it counts. Bed & Breakfast Inns are by their nature social places, everyone is friendly. As for parking, I can assure it’s very safe and so is anyone who stays with us. It is not on a, “Condo lot,” as you know. It is in a secured parking structure that you were issued a parking remote just to enter and depart with. My Wife and I live here on site, and we have six grown kids raised here, with an additional six grand kids whom are perfectly safe anywhere in our neighborhood, on the beach and pier. I don’t honestly think a comment about feeling unsafe is a justified fair comment. We will disagree on that one. As for flies, open doors, being on top of each other, neighbors talking, and unpleasant experience, I don’t know how to comment any further on that, except to say I am very sorry to say perhaps Casa Tropicana wasn’t best suited for you. Rick Anderson, Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Clemente
#5 of 22 in Laguna Beach
San Clemente Inn
San Clemente Inn
#4 of 18 in San Clemente

Been to Casa Tropicana? Share your experiences!