“We enjoyed a romantic and relaxing getaway at this amazing beachfront inn.”
Review of Casa Tropicana

and 1 more site!
Casa Tropicana
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
San Clemente, California
“We enjoyed a romantic and relaxing getaway at this amazing beachfront inn.”
Reviewed June 17, 2011

This beachfront inn was fantastic. Our room was amazing. Our private deck and room overlook the beach and ocean. We sat in our own private hot tub overlooking the ocean while enjoying complementary champagne during the sun setting over the ocean. The rooms were beautiful and clean and the staff was so helpful. My husband and I can't wait to stay at the Casa Tropicana again for a relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: The Website offers pictures of all the rooms.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Wow…Thank you!

Honestly, reading reviews like this tells me we are really delivering on our commitment to our guests. We want each guest to have their own unique experience and enjoy our Inn, our great location here at the San Clemente Beach & Pier, and of course our great hospitality.
Thanks for your comments and please hurry back!

Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
California
Reviewed June 14, 2011

What a gorgeous place. First the location is incredible. The service outstanding. The breakfast, delicious. The view... to die for. To me, its a true bed and breakfast, with the san clemente charm and the owners and staff are truly personal. We got our reservation upgraded and oh did we enjoy the spa at the roof top :) We want to come back, and as soon as we can, we will. We live very close by, but this 'staycation' felt just great. Thanks Tropicana!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, June 18, 2011
You scored with an upgrade trade!

We were very happy to upgrade you to the Penthouse upon your last visit. But you earned it. When you checked in, you were so kind to offer your room to someone who really wanted to stay, but couldn’t afford our only room left, the Casa Del Rey Penthouse suite. You were considering up grading just to help them out! I thought that was so cool, I just decided to give it to you guys for being true good guys. Everybody was happy. Especially you. Thank you so much for your comments about our great breakfast and our true Bed & Breakfast charm with ourselves and our staff making your stay so much more incredible. We hope to see you again soon.

San Clemente, California
Reviewed June 9, 2011

With so many good things to mention, it's hard to know where to start. I'll start at the beginning, the service was outstanding! When we arrived, we were personally shown to our room by the owner and there were flower petals and wine waiting to surprise the wife. All the rooms are very tastefully decorated and are very clean (this is important to us since my wife is a real "Neat Freak"). The owners went out of their way to provide us with every request I made to make our stay very special. We celebrated with champagne on the spacious patio area that overlooked the San Clemente pier and beach. At night the view is breathtaking and during the day it's fun to people watch. In the morning we had a delicious breakfast and some much needed coffee. We are already planning our next visit, lining up the babysitter now! When we return we want to try the Penthouse, my wife keeps mentioning that there's a Jacuzzi ;-) Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Try to book the Penthouse for romance and privacy!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jawknee13
Thank you.

It’s so nice to hear when your efforts are appreciated, especially about the cleanliness of our rooms. I had to chuckle when I read about your wife being a, “neat freak.” I can relate because Sue is too. She is often in the rooms and down on her knees cleaning rooms with our housekeeper. She was happy to hear her efforts are noticed. We also do a lot of extra touches for our guests. We like to think of Casa Tropicana as that little romantic get-a-way place. So hurry back and we’ll share some champagne with you in the Casa Del Rey penthouse next time.

Chicago
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Recently had a chance to stay at the Casa Tropicana in San Clemente. When I first drove by, the hotel and overall location actually reminded me of a cross between Italian Riviera and charming southern California. There's a slight Art deco style about the building--toss in head-on views of the Pacific, and you realize this is a real gem in wonderfully relaxed San Clemente.

The rooms were bright, cool, and very comfortable (wooden floors will always trump carpeting). As for the staff, remarkably welcoming and efficient. Had a hand-written map posted on my door with several restaurant recommendations --in short, warmth and charm. (If in the mood for French, must try Cafe Mimosa up the street--walking distance of course). The guests at the hotel seem equally in the know--a very warm, genteel feel surrounds the entire place.

As a quick aside, of the three towns I visited along the coast, San Clemente is the pearl. Yes, Laguna is nice, but in some ways seemed to lack the sense of friendliness that seems so much a part of San Clemente and for that matter the Casa Tropicana.
As for Newport, think homogenous pretension.

In short, the Casa Tropicana is a real find!

Sir Michael Massa, EOHS

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank teatoo
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, June 18, 2011
Sue and I were thrilled to have had you.

We both enjoyed spending some time on the ocean view decks with you during your stay. I remember how impressed you were with the architecture of our building. When I designed it in 1997, this is what I had in mind. San Clemente is referred to as, “The Spanish Village by the Sea.” Many of our guests throughout our 21 years of owning and operating the inn have commented on how Casa Tropicana reminded them of a Mediterranean style building. But you were one of the most impressed. Thank you so much, and thanks for the great words for San Clemente. We agree with you.
California
Reviewed May 7, 2011

When I go to a bed and breakfast I'm looking for special touches. Casa Tropicana lacked on that. The room did have some with rose petels on the bed and snacks, wine in the fridge. An afternoon wine and cheese it what I expected. I say expect because all the others I have stayed at anywhere have provided this or something like that everyday. The fridge fillers were their version of afternoon wine and cheese.
The owners had a private get together right above our room all evening. The trains run every several minutes (like maybe every 20-30) and they blow their horns when they pass. Not too bad until later in the night. The tracks are right in front of the Inn.
A good bed and breakfast is not ncecessarily defined by the location but the connection which you make with the Inn while you're there and the overall experience. We did have access to coffee presses and fresh fruit anytime. I'm glad I didn't have any questions because no one was around to ask. A nice lady did check us in and give us a quick tour but that was our connection with anyone the whole time there; oh and the lady that brought us our breakfast. The breakfast wasn't what "I'm used to" either. Small breakfast burritos may have been home made. The rest was pretty much packaged goodies like the muffins. The breakfast was delivered to the room, which was nice but over all, nothing special.
When I checked out, one of the inn-keepers came to assist me but just asked me to go and get my car and leave the garage door opener on the desk when I return. No "thanks for coming, glad you came, how was your say", just said "leave the garage opener". The location is a beach scene experience from the shared patio. You can get that in a lot of places. We have stayed in most of the bed and breakfast in the local counties. This one is at the bottom of the list. If they went out of their way a bit to connect with their guest for a moment or to make it a truely bed and breakfast experience it would be worth going back to. I won't go back to this one again.
The one thing I would remember is that the bed is comfortable. There is no sofa in the room, only director type chairs so if it's really cold outside, you don't have any place to sit that's comfortable. The patio has chairs and lounge chairs. I didn't think it was worth the money.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tlt
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
I’m sorry you didn’t find what you were looking for.

This review is hard to respond to. I’ve read it several times but the title, Not the Best Experience, keeps grabbing me. We constantly try to be on top of our game and unfortunately, we seem to have missed the target with this guest’s expectations. Thankfully, the majority of the review is positive but there are some valid disappointments and for this I apologize.

This guest writes he is looking for special touches and acknowledges a few of our favorites - fresh rose petals on the bed upon arrival, and a mini fridge with snacks, cheeses, juices and red & white wines (all complimentary, of course). But no afternoon wine and cheese service was upsetting to them.

After 21 years of owning and operating Casa Tropicana, I early on discovered being at the beach is quite different from most traditional B&B settings. As it relates to this topic, our guests don’t return for afternoon wine and cheese. A day at the beach will often transition into to sunset at the beach. Or while shopping around town they end up stopping into a local restaurant for wine and tapas. We even tried an afternoon offering; Tequila Sunsets, with margaritas and munchies. (All that lead to was the staff, Sue, and me getting too giggly from drinking alone, so as you can imagine, we had to quit that.) We wanted to offer our guests some wonderful inn-style treats while working with their more casual beach schedule - which is why we put bottles of wine and cheese in each in-room fridge, allowing guest to enjoy them at their convenience.

People rave about our breakfasts. With the objective of pleasing most, we have put together a large selection of hot and cold dishes, meat and veggie offerings, and house-made and tried and true store bought items. But again we seem to have missed the mark with this guest.

Regarding a private get together one evening - I plead guilty. Once a year our Rotary club hosts a Global Study Exchange with about 5 professionals from all over the world. This year Sue and I hosted 2 team members from the Netherlands. They stayed in our home on the fourth floor for 6 days and on that particular night, I confess we did host going away party for them. However, if you know any older Rotarians, they were gone by 9 PM. I am sorry for any inconvenience we caused to these guest’s. We really try to be considerate of everyone in our building.

As I said, Sue and I do live on site and are most often available. However, its sounds like on this day, we were enjoying a day off together, off site. At the end of the day we always come home and we do have a manager at the front desk when we’re not in. One more thing worth mentioning. We don’t smother you here with attention. We are committed to allowing the guests to enjoy their little get-a-ways. We do interact with guests, but we try to read them to see if they are receptive to our interjection. They paid for this time; we don’t like to steal it from them. This approach has proven to be the most successful way to respect each guest’s experience.

And, yes, I have been guilty of allowing a guest to simply drop off their keys and parking remote when they seem in a hurry and I’m not at the front desk. So now I’ll take the opportunity to say, ‘Thank you for staying with us and I wish you would return and meet Sue and I. I think we’re very approachable and love to interact with all who share our inn, home and San Clemente with us.

Reviewed March 23, 2011

For my 50th birthday we walked from Laguna Beach to La Jolla and along the way spent one night in San Clemente.
The owners of Casa Tropicana went out of their way to make our stay most enjoyable.
Super nice people, suggested a great place to eat, made our dinner reservations and even drove us up town as we were tired from walking.
A definite special spot.
Rooms very quaint and right on the water - a DEFINITE MUST STAY!
Susan Kirkland, Washington

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank susanmsalazar
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Thanks for the great comments!
Susan, Sue and I enjoyed having you, and all of your friends who did your 50th birthday walk with you to San Clemente. We did give you a big dose of special attention while you were here. We’re both glad your review says that. However it appears your scoring on tripadvisor’s categories for Value, Rooms, Location, Cleanliness, Service, and Sleep Quality seem to be mistakenly scored backwards. We are sure you meant to rank us #1, but you apparently only entered a 1 in the categories. Which had the opposite effect. It’s okay though, as your glowing comments tell the story better anyway. Please come and see us again real soon. But please don’t wait for another 50 years!
Poway, California
Reviewed March 10, 2011

Absolutely tremendous property with an incredible location. Our room was spacious and very well decorated. The views from the room and deck were just outstanding. The location is great, right at the beach but also very close to the downtown that features some very eclectic and interesting shops and restaurants. The breakfast was very good and the overall ambiance was just perfect. We have stayed at a number of So Cal beach hotels, condos, etc. and this is hands down the best location and overall experience of all!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fichthorn
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Now this is what we’re all about!
Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you stayed with us and we especially enjoyed talking to you several times during your stay out on our ocean view decks. Please come back and visit with us again real soon.
Rick & Sue
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach
San Clemente Inn
San Clemente Inn
#5 of 18 in San Clemente

Been to Casa Tropicana? Share your experiences!