“New Baby Visit In San Carlos”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in San Carlos
Spokane, Washington
“New Baby Visit In San Carlos”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

My daughter and son-in law live in San Carlos on Howard Street. I planned the trip prior to baby's arrival and felt that it would be best to give the new parents some time for rest and not stay with them. My daughter researched the hotels in close proximity and indicated that Americas Best Value Inn would be a good choice. It was very reasonably priced. The rooms are spacious with a microwave and refrigerator. The owners and housekeepers are very gracious. The bed was comfortable. And we had air conditioning that worked perfectly. A light breakfast was provided. We were 5 minutes walking distance away from my daughter's home. Trader Joe's and Walgreen's is a 1 minute walk. A major food store is also walking distance. I cannot even say how many excellent restaurants are close and a great Mexican sit down/take out is across the street (Sanchos). This was perfect for me and I will return. It's not 5 star, but anymore, I prefer little, easy spots like this that are affordable and convenient.

Room Tip: Try to get ground level and away from CalTrain. I got a corner room and it was very secluded and qu...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank DJLee1950

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
San Carlos
Reviewed July 8, 2014

The room is a nice size. The were a number of issues, but most were taken care of immediately. The safe did not work, we had to have pest control come in -- ANTS. I could not sit on the the bedspread, nor did I want my clothes. The bed was comfortable. The best thing at it was the location near our kids and the price. You can hear the train, traffic, etc. It did not stop me from sleeping . The owner or manager and his wife were nice. If we had a problem he took care of it for us.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stayed at ABVI, San Carlos for 4 weeks and it was a good experience. This is managed by hardworking, hospitable and polite couple (Bipin Patel and Vibha Patel). They take care of your convenience and always greet with pleasant smile. They make sure your room is clean every day and you do not have any problem during your stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank devendra_zala
Berowra Waters, Australia
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Italo/Australian Couple. Just spent 11 nights here. Central location with easy access to 101 and 92 and access to San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Santa Cruz Monterey, Muir woods and Columbia, Half Moon Bay were all within easy day trips. Plenty of eateries nearby. Especially recommend those around San Carlos and Palo Alto both very close by.
While it isn't a 5 star Hilton or the Fairmont it felt like our home for the 11 days. The rooms were large, The King bed was nice and firm and we had the best nights sleeps compared to the many places we travel to. The room was cleaned well every day with fresh towels, face washers etc. The room was big with lots of room. Had to ask for tea bags but then we had a plentiful supply every day. No fresh milk provided in room just creamer (all the go in the US) so we popped in to supermarket for fresh milk and stored in room fridge. There was a coffee percolator which produced what Americans call coffee. Unfortunately the Italian and Australian palates are more refined.
There is a spa in the hotel but the bath tub had a spa and we preferred to use it after a day walking.
There is a continental breakfast which we found ideal, not to filling and heavy. Orange Juice, Fruit Bran or Special K, Coffee, mini muffins, croissants /Jam or warm bagels with cream cheese.

Room Tip: We had the King Bed room with a small balcony. Was worried about the Traffic/Train noises people men...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vinpav
Reviewed May 8, 2014

ABVI in San Carlos is an excellent location for my business trips. I have been staying here every week since January of this year. As I am in the construction business and am managing night crews as well as day crews, I am coming and going at all odd hours. Bipin and his wife Vibha have been very cooperative with me, allowing my room services and checkout times to coordinate with my schedule. The only reason I did not check five stars is that sometimes I am placed in a non-smoking room that reeks of cigarette smells.

Room Tip: Lower floors are noisier from the occupants walking on the floors above.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Americas Best Value Inn in San Carlos, CA is an excellent value. Although the hotel is $20-30 less than other hotels in the area, this hotel is clean and well kept. Everything works, the manager is available and friendly, and it's convenient to local restaurants and to Starbucks.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
California
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I can't believe that this place is rated number one in San Carlos. We stayed two nights here in April, 2014, What a mistake!!
On the positive I can say that check in did not take very long. It was after we got to the room that the fun started. The safe was high on the wall above the closet aea. I reached up to open it and the door fell off in my hand. Had I not grabbed it soon enough, it would have landed on my wife's head. Then I found the swing lock on the entry door was about to fall off because the screws were hanging out. The bathroom was extremely crowded with mold growing around the tub. The bathroom window did not lock. (Luckily we were on the seoncd floor). The front windows were filthy and stained. We could not turn on the TV. The ice machine was outside and looked like it had not been cleaned in several years. The lighting was gloomy. The breakfast was a joke. We went to a restaurant down the street.

The only other positive things I can say about this place is that we did not hear the trains even though they are only a couple of hundred feet away. Also, the sink is outside the bath area where the tub and toilet are located. We both like this feature in hotels.

Find a better place. This one is not worth the money.

Room Tip: Go to another motel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Pacific Euro Hotel
Pacific Euro Hotel
#6 of 17 in Redwood City
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - San Francisco Airport
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites...
#4 of 29 in South San Francisco
Americas Best Value Inn - Palo Alto

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!