“Great value and location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos

Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in San Carlos
San Mateo, California
“Great value and location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Rooms were clean and the staff was very accomadating. The hotel has a supermarket very close . There are plenty of places to eat all within minutes of the hotel. There is easy access to the freeway in either direction. There is a self service laundry facility on the premises.Great value for the price.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stay at this area weekly for business and this is by far the worst experience I've had. All hotels in this area are overpriced, but at least I don't have to worry about basic accommodations.
- My bed had someone's hair in the pillows, bed sheets, covers, and it was disgusting to say the least.
- Bathroom had no basic necessities like shampoo.
- Room service is only offered if you stay for more than a week so don't expect clean sheets or fresh towels if you are there for just a few nights.
- If you want internet service be prepared to pay for an upgrade, because free internet is just like DSL back in the 90's.
- Hallways and elevator smells like marijuana and I highly doubt it is their new deodorant.
- Breakfast is granola bars and muffins, that's it so don't be fooled by "complementary breakfast".
Should I go on?

Room Tip: The best tip I can give is to try and book your stay somewhere else if you can. This hotel/motel is...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank RegularVacationeer

Travelers are raving about these San Carlos hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

This is my second stay here, due to arrangements made by my company. The WiFi is unusably slow, and every time I go near the front desk someone is complaining about it. However, when you sign in to WiFi, you are given a $5 option to "upgrade" your WiFi. But, you can't charge it to your room; you have to give a credit card number to the 3rd party provider that also needs your email address, for some nefarious reason. Also, the TV channels seem to have been culled from the "worst of america" cable package and lack such basics as Comedy Central and BBC America. Otherwise the rooms are reasonably clean, well furnished (except for uncomfortable couch) and the price is reasonable.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from Rt 101
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stayed for only three nights but paid for it for two weeks. Turns out the bed was infested with bed bugs. The typical groups of three bites don't show up for up to 9 days and they are much worse than mosquito bites. Mine began showing up on Christmas day, at least 40 in all. What a present! Once I realized what they were I called the hotel for the manager. It took multiple calls to finally get a manager who then insisted I should have reported it before I left. I explained to her that they don't show up for up to 9 days but she was still argumentative with no apology. I requested confirmation that the room would be disinfected before I return for my next trip but received no call back. Also, there was no one at the front desk when I left a 4 AM so the building was left unguarded. Anyone could have walked in to cause trouble without being noticed. Beyond that the room and halls were clean but I obviously won't stay there again though I am in the area regularly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Sunnyvale, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

We had to have our house fumigated so we chose this place because it was in-between our two places of work....our mistake. I have a hard time imagining a business putting an employee up here without the employee feeling like that business must hate them. Where to start? Our bath didn't have a stopper, which seems minor but it was the first thing that seemed odd. The refrigerator in the room was so loud and it went in cycles so it would keep waking us up. As far as being awake, that was easy because my wife (6 months pregnant) and I barely slept because our bed was rock hard...and I like firm mattresses, but this was ridiculous! Let's talk about the walls, they are paper thin and I heard ever conversation, every door closing no matter how far away on the floor the people were. Daily room service is considered a luxury at this hotel and you have to pay extra for the privilege because they only come once a week. There is not a front desk person there all of the time which is a first as I have stayed at many hotels. The room was clean..ish. The only thing that I could say is that it was warm, but I kept the heater off much of the time because it too was extremely loud. At one point on my second night I considered sleeping in my car because it was far more comfortable than my bed. That is the impression that I was left with as my wife and I left on the last day with back pain from the bed and headaches from the lack of sleep...."I should have just slept in my car."

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Broomfield, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

The hallways had bits of paper and other trash all over, as if they were never properly vacuumed. The room smelled bad. It was on the same floor as their smoking rooms, and I think they'd sprayed something to try to overpower the natural smells. Ick. Nobody bothered to tell me the thermostat on the wall doesn't actually do anything. When I got cold enough, I figured out how to turn on the window unit, but the thermostat in the window unit didn't work either, so I had to turn it on and off manually. The room had an old CRT TV, with a lousy selection of channels. And I paid over $180/night (plus taxes). All in all, I'd recommend you go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Check in early, and make sure you aren't given a room on the third (smoking) floor!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

I stayed here as part of a conference package where 20 other people also stayed. Our daily morning conversations was like a "who had it worst?" I never won but I had a horrible experience. I waited for 20 min at the front desk for them to 1. Finally get there and 2. tell me that I didnt have a reservation. Even with a receipt I had to pay again and have my charges reversed later. Big mess but nothing like the room I was about to enter. There were ants and food crumbs everywhere, rotted grapes in the shower, no towels or toilet paper, etc. It looked like the cleaning staff cleaned the bed (I hope) and that was all.
I stayed 6 days and it only got worse. The ants covered the kitchen and bathroom sinks and no staff ever offered me more than a cursory "It clean" or "No toilet paper is in there". In order to get towels I had to go to the front desk (and wait another half an hour) before they gave me ONE. I asked for 2 and the ensueing conversation was filled with the woman at the front telling me I was wrong, all rooms get cleaned thoroughly. I won't get into how much more went wrong but I want to tell everyone what happened when I tried to check out: I was at the front desk for an HOUR this time. I called and spoke to housekeeping who told me that I couldn't check out until after 6:30. This is unheard of. I would miss my flight if I waited. Then she came down to the front desk and proceeded to sit down and mess with things at the front desk. At this point I assumed she would be able to help. She told me no, not until 6:30. I explained I had a flight to catch. Suddenly she could no longer speak English. I was absolutely floored by this behavior. At 6:28, another staff member (a man) entered the hotel and before he could help me the woman began to explain to him in Spanish about her experience with. She assumed I didn't speak Spanish and proceeded to lie about how I ripped a decoration in anger because I couldn't help. She also called me plenty of curse words. At this point I was done being nice and got out of there before I had to endure any more of this behavior. Overall, this hotel's service and cleanliness was bottom of the barrel. They will be lucky if they stay at their current price point, as every single person in the conference described unique and separate bad experiences.

• Stayed December 2013
Pullman San Francisco Bay
#1 of 17 in Redwood City
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,341 reviews
Hotel San Carlos - San Carlos

Been to Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos? Share your experiences!