“Some good, some bad”

Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in San Carlos
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel roughly once a month for the last decade.
Positives: the staff. They are knowledgeable, competent, and personable: very nice people. Rooms are clean. Full kitchen is very helpful for long stays; bed is comfortable, although the mattresses should be flipped monthly in order to prevent caving in on the most popular side. Parking is ample. Easy access to freeway, shopping and restaurants. Gym a block away.
Negatives: Doesn't even have basic cable channels. Missing MSNBC, History, Bio, etc. Has Showtime rather than HBO.
Internet slow, and have to sign in relatively frequently. Odd for its location near Silicon Valley. If you'll have to do large downloads stay elsewhere.
Prices have increased significantly in the last few years. Now has breakfast included, which means nothing except a higher room charge to those of us who don't eat breakfast.
Recent policy change mandates that your room gets cleaned on day 8 of your stay. Thus, if you're staying for 9 days, rather than picking a midway point for cleaning you'll have a clean room for your last day.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America San Francisco - San Carlos. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff and our convenient location. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns. Although I regret not being able to accommodate your viewing preferences, I hope that my explanation on this site can help others know exactly what to expect at our hotel. Each room is equipped with a cable television with limited expanded cable, including the following package of TV channels: Showtime, Showtime 2, CNN, CNN Headline News, Fox News, TNT, WTBS, Discovery, Cartoon Network, USA, Oxygen, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN News, ESPN Classic, ESPN U, and The Weather Channel, as well as locally broadcast network affiliates including ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and PBS. Please know that your comments are very useful for us as we work to offer the best television channels for our guests.

I am also sorry to hear that our housekeeping schedule was not as expected. We specialize in providing guests with the amenities and service they require for an enjoyable stay at an exceptional rate. In the case of housekeeping, our standard service schedule provides one full housekeeping after every seven days stayed, with the option to purchase additional housekeeping services as desired. Operating our business in this way allows us to continue offering the same great rates to which our guests have become accustomed.

I hope our response helps answer some of your concerns and that you will give us another chance to have you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed at Extended stay for 2 nights, while they wore doing some construction to my house. The whole room, and bathroom wore impecably clean. I was glad to see that they had a kitchen with all the supplies that I needed to cook for those 2 days. Great customer service from the genttlemen that helped me check in! I will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: If you guys have little children they also have different activity packets for them available at the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Property M, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Francisco-San Carlos. I am so happy to hear that we were able to provide a little home away from home during your home renovation. We strive to provide each guest with over the top hospitality each and every stay. I’m glad to hear your room was impeccably clean and that our fully equipped kitchen was just what you needed to prepare meals for your family, we appreciate the warm thoughts and comments. Thank you for your kind word and we hope that you will stay with us again should you be in need of additional accommodations in the future. With many thanks the Management at Extended Stay America San Francisco-San Carlos.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed at Extended Stay for two nights during my trip to the bay area. The room was very clean and I was especially impressed with the the bathroom (I always have issues with hotel bathrooms). The room comes with a well equipped kitchen so it is definitely a plus for people who are staying for an extended period of time (or just don't feel like eating out). The stove top was clean and the plates in the cabinets were spotless. The hotel also had plenty of parking near the entrance so it was very easy to move in & out. The manager at the front desk (I believe his name was Mark) was also very nice and accommodating. I got to the hotel before noon on a day when the hotel was fully booked. The manager was able to clean out a room and give me a room within an hour. Overall, i am very satisfied with the stay and would definitely come here again during my future trips.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KevinW1989

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America San Francisco - San Carlos. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We were among the first in the industry to identify a need for a fully functional hotel suite, complete with range top and full refrigerator. We know that this offering is compelling because of the continued compliments we receive from guests like you.

We would also like to thank you for your patience as we prepared a room for your arrival, we will always try to accommodate an early arrival when our daily departures will allow. We know that your time is valuable and we appreciate your patience.

Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words The Management at Extended Stay America San Francisco-San Carlos.

Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay in the area. Price is Right. Clean, spacious, and comfortable enough. Close to shopping and some good eats. Easy highway access. Service was good. Beds a little firm. Will stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

We would like to take a moment and thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Carlos. It sounds like you enjoyed your stay with us and that this property was conveniently located for your needs. We are so glad to hear that guests like you are happy with the time they spend with us. We strive to provide clean, comfortable accommodations at a great value, stay after stay. We do hope that you will come back to visit us if you’re in our area or that of any of our over 680 locations nationwide. Thank you again for your nice review. We look forward to seeing you again. With Hospitality the Management at Extended Stay America San Carlos.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our 7 night stay at Extended Stay America was very comfortable. We came to the Bay Area with our newborn baby to visit family for the holidays and we were very happy we chose this hotel. It was centrally located and right off the freeway, which was great because throughout our stay we were all over the East Bay, the Peninsula, and the San Jose area. The bed was very comfortable, the room was spotless, and the kitchen was great for preparing my nightly tea and our baby's bottles and cereal. Our room and floor was quiet and we always had close parking. Whenever we needed things like extra tools or dish washing liquid, the front desk was quick to get us whatever we needed. Cassie was especially helpful and friendly and by the end of our stay we felt like old friends! Our housekeeper, Maria, was also very efficient and thourough. This hotel was perfect for us and we hope to stay here again when we return next Christmas.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Happy New Year! We would like to express our thanks for such a great review of your recent Holiday stay with us at Extended Stay America San Carlos. It is our pleasure to make sure you have a great stay each and every stay! I am so glad that our staff was so accommodating during your stay and you were able to experience a home away from home experience with us during the Holiday Season. Its comments from guests like you that make our job so rewarding in so many ways. I do hope that you will return next Holiday Season when you are visiting the area, we would love to have you back. With Hospitality, The Management at Extended Stay America San Carlos.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was a very disappointing stay: which included a sterile institutional corridor that smelled like a kitchen in a Chinese restaurant; a boxy, barely updated studio with tacky kitchen and bathroom; botched reservation (in spite of two conversations beforehand -- one with desk clerk, one with assistant manager); worn sheets with holes, washcloth-size towels -- and all this for $151.79 including tax. You can do better, even in the pricey San Francisco Bay Area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Our sincere thanks for posting a review about your experience at Extended Stay America San Carlos. I am so sorry to hear that your stay wasn’t 100% satisfactory, please accept my sincere apologies. I will definitely be talking with the staff to find out how there was a mis-communication regarding your reservation, this is not a normal occurrence for us as we are very diligent in ensuring accuracy and efficiency for all our arriving guests reservations. We have very strict standards and policies in place to prevent such occurrences as you mentioned in the review, we will be sure to review these with our staff so that such incidents will not happen again on future stays for yourself or any other guest staying with us. I do hope that you will visit us again should your travels bring you back to our area or that of any of our over 680 locations nationwide. With sincere appreciation the Management at Extended Stay San Carlos.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Rooms were very clean and comfortable. The grab and go breakfast was a nice touch when running out the door in the mornings. Staff was friendly and accommodating which is a plus. Definitely a place I will recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Thank you so much for your recent review of your stay at Extended Stay America San Carlos. I am so glad to hear that our staff was accommodating to you during your stay and that our grab and go breakfast was just what you needed as you started your day. Our entire staff is committed to making sure each guest has a pleasurable experience from the time you arrive to the time you leave us. It looks like we hit a home run in your case. We hope that you will return to see us if your travels bring you back to our area in the future. With Hospitality The Management at Extended Stay America San Carlos.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Carlos
#5 of 17 in Redwood City
Pullman San Francisco Bay
Pullman San Francisco Bay
#1 of 17 in Redwood City

Been to Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos? Share your experiences!