“Nice little place off the beaten path”
Review of Refuge

Refuge
Ranked #4 of 139 Restaurants in San Carlos
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was my first visit to The Refuge. It is located on Laurel St. in San Carlos, Ca. My son recommended it to me, since he took his girlfriend there recently, and enjoyed the experience. We went early on a Wed. evening and therefore the crowds and noise were at a minimum. The service was good, we were seated right away, and the atmosphere was friendly. First off, the beer list is amazing. Over 10 beers on tap and 100 bottled are available. The list is available upon request. Our food came up very quickly and both of us enjoyed our selections. I had a Reuben and my wife had a Pastrami-burger with fries. We also ordered the pickle plate and a side order of cold slaw. The Reuben was thick sliced and a little salty, but as I am a guy from N.Y. and use to great Pastrami, this was quite passable. My wife’s Pastrami-burger was more than she could handle. We wound up taking some home. Their pastrami is made on site. The garlic fries are outstanding, but if I had to do it over again, I’d pass on the pickle plate. Yes, it’s a little over priced, but well worth it. We tried Saul’s in Berkeley a few weeks ago and believe me, this place is better.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

My wife was craving a good burger, so I typed in "best burger near me" and the Refuge popped up. We decided to give it a try. We ordered the nachos for an appetizer and she had the Ohio burger and I had the pastrami burger. The nachos were good, but small for the price. The Ohio burger was fantastic, but my pastrami burger was okay. The pastrami was very good, and I wish I just got a pastrami sandwich.

The service here was poor. They messed up my wife's drink and brought all the food out together. It was not just our table as this seems like it is the practice of the restaurant.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is a nice place but is a little pricy for lunch. Their signature sandwiches (pastrami) are in the 15-17 dollar range and do not come with fries. Fries would have been a nice addition to an expensive sandwich. Service was fair.

Great Beer selection. A lot of local lagers and ales on tap. Trendy little place and a nice smaller outdoor eating area.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I came here this past weekend. We were happy to have found this place. Our rubens were delicious and the garlic fries were very nice as well. For non-beer drinkers, there were quality sodas with rich flavors. Unfortunately, the cheese platter contained some poor tasting chicken liver and extremely sour, inedible chutney. But portions were large and generous. I can wholeheartedly recommend the rubens and sodas, but not the cheese platter. I also suggest an early arrival. The restaurant was nearly empty on Sunday at 3:30pm, but filled up by 4:30pm. They do not take reservations for groups smaller than 8 persons.

Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Ate at this informal restaurant/bar this evening. There was a short wait for an outside table for one. Service was quick and efficient, which was fine with me.

Had the Reuben sandwich, fries and a Diet Coke. The pastrami was quite good; for $16 for the sandwich, some onions and a pickle, it should have been! An order of plain French fries was $3.00; while the fries were hot and crispy, if you're going to charge $16 for a sandwich it should come with fries.

With a tip and tax, my meal cost more than $27. The meal was good, but at that price I won't be back anytime soon.