“The Health Department should Close This Place”
Review of Budget Motel

Budget Motel
Budget Motel
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I have traveled extensively throughout the world; and almost always choose the cheapest options available. It was this practice that landed me at Budget Motel in San Bruno, CA. I rented two rooms (a single for myself and a double for my crew). It was by far the absolute worst lodging experience of my entire life. The crew's room did not have the microwave oven promised when the reservation was made. When I picked up the phone to call the office to request one, the phone had been beaten into a nonfunctioning piece of garbage (a piece of garbage that they charged a $20 deposit for I might add). As I was trying to determine whether I could make it work, I noticed that it did not have a cord. I went to the office to make my request and report my nonfunctioning phone; the lady at the desk (the only person that I met that spoke English) told me that the cord was probably behind the night stand; and she would see if they could find another microwave. I thanked her and returned to my room to look for the cord. It was in fact behind the night stand; along with grape vines, assorted trash, and likely years worth of dirt. After my second request for a microwave for my crew, I was told that they did not have one.
Both the air conditioner and the furnace (two seperate units) had visable filth and mold covering their faceplates. The outside door had gaps over 1/2" all the way around. The ciderblock walls were absolutely filthy and reminiscent of a third-world jail cell. The carpeting was disgusting; stained and reeking of dog urine. I found pieces of dog food along the wall to confirm my olfactory prowess. The bathroom was nothing short of a science experiment; with fixtures that looked like they had been salvaged from the L.A. riots nearly 30 years ago. The roof contained an open window that I could not shut; to make theft that much easier by the crackheads and gang members that inhabit this hood.When I asked the resident English speaking staff member if there were any internet options available for purchase; she suggested that since there was a ghetto housing area behind the hotel, maybe I could find a wifi connection that was not secured (she probably got the idea from the unsecured window in the roof that they provide at no extra charge). The water was a sickening shade of yellow and had a distinct odor of rotting vegetation. The only maid service provided over 4 miserable days, was replacing dingy stained towels twice. Not once was a bed made, or even a trash can emptied. I planned to stay two weeks, but could not take any more than 4 days. I would not have lasted that long if I had more than 6 hours a day to spend in this room. A gallon of bleach and a 30-day round of antibiotics will probably be necessary to recover from this. I would not reccomend this dump to my worst enemy.They were rude, obnoxious, and filthy. When I was not laying awake in bed, wondering if I would be killed in the crossfire of a drug deal gone bad or a gang war; the planes taking off in front of my door made sleep impossible. If this motel is the only vacancy that you can find, then do yourself a favor and check out neighboring dumpsters. It would certainly be an upgrade. Thank goodness my office was as horrified as I was, and made arrangements to find me another hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank Almon M

Reviewed September 30, 2011

This place is kind of a dump. It looks like the property was convert from horse stables, or maybe industrial warehouse storage. The ceilings had a weird-ish 1950s asbestos looking tile, and the wall had what looked like....well let's just say, 'organic material' splat over the crooked and broken headboard. the only thing this place has going for it is its proximity to sfo.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank emerson7x
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Well if you just wish to have a place to crash for an early morning flight departure out of SFO then this place might work.The hotel premises give you the feeling that you're in a bad neighborhood which isn't really the case.The building is in need of a paintjob....badly.
The blankets hadn't been washed in a while yet the bedsheets look like they had been changed yet matress was hard as a rock.The bathroom looked like a restroom you would see in a shady nightclub.Room had a mini-fridge, wall A/C Heater,television,old curtains that sagged, floor needed a real mopping.The people at check-in were decent people yet if you need ice for your bucket then you'll have to go to the liquor store around the corner.There's no shuttle service so be prepaired to fork over $15.00 USD for a cab to SFO which is about 2 1/2 miles away.This isn't really a place you'd want to bring your kids as they may have nightmares sleeping here.... so don't turn out the lights.....no kidding.

Room Tip: Save the cab fare by applying it to somewhere a little nicer around SFO that has free courtesy shutt...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank kraor
Reviewed September 26, 2011

My daughter and i are from san diego, ca. we stayed here 2 nights. both nights we slept very peacefully. the property was quiet. staff was nice. housekeeping was good. we would rate this motel a thumbs up. thank you.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank alicia v
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Run by what looks like a nice Indian family. Anyway, my wife said the lady at the front desk was nice. The location is good for the SF airport, which is nice for travelers who just need to be near for a 6:00 am flight, as we were. But we had two kids with us and had planned on placing the older one on the floor. After seeing no less than 6 cockroaches, my wife brought him in the bed with us. I went to the front desk just to alert them to the cockroach problem, but the lady said that it wasn't true and they sprayed monthly. I said, regardless, we'd seen them and that was fact. She just stared at me incredulously and I left.

So, the hotel is decent except for the roaches, which may be a big deal. If it wasn't for the lady implying I was a liar, I don't think it would've been so bad.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank hnic17
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Comfortable bed, spacious bathroom, and ROACHES. I encountered 5 or 6 in the hour that I spent awake in this room, and it was still daylight. My husband went to the front desk to alert management to the situation (no demands or accusations, truly just to let them know), and he was told "That's impossible, we spray every month." So while I was back in the room picking a roach off my toddler's pillow, my husband was being accused of lying. I certainly will not go back to this motel, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else (unless you actually like roaches). If you do decide to stay here, keep in mind that there is no shuttle to the airport, and I can ride will cost about $14 plus a tip. So if you can find a hotel that costs $15 or $20 more but offers a free shuttle, then you come out having paid the same amount . . . and you probably end up staying somewhere nicer, too.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank chaboinga
Reviewed July 30, 2011

No money is put back into this hotel. My husband and I were desperate and needed a place to stay everything was booked up. We called .2 miles away and was told we could get a room for $70. We get there 2 seconds later and the lady says ohh that was just taken now all we have is this 2 bed room for 90. Like i said we were desperate so we took it. Stains all over the walls, you can hear everything through the paper thin walls. Horrible place and lying staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hotel Aura San Bruno
#2 of 13 in San Bruno
Super 8 San Bruno /SF Intl Arpt West
Staybridge Suites San Francisco Airport

Been to Budget Motel? Share your experiences!