“Terrible internet”

Courtyard San Francisco Airport
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Reviewed March 26, 2011

I've stayed extensively at this Courtyard (as well as others) and find the staff to be very welcoming and helpful. The hotel itself and rooms are good - probably better than the average Courtyards. My rating of 2 stars is purely because of the internet service. It is truly terrible - basic page loads can take minutes. It will waste incredible amounts of your time, especially if you are like most business travelers and work in the evening after you return to the hotel. This is both wired and wireless. I have an evdo card (cell phone connection) that ran 7x faster with 1 or 2 bars. I called the internet provider who said that this was the service level contracted for by the Courtyard. I emailed my concerns to the management of the Courtyard by received no response (which says something about management attitude given I have stayed there 50+ nights - wonder how they react to someone only staying a couple nights).

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank rorufu
There are newer reviews for Courtyard San Francisco Airport

Reviewed January 11, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights after Christmas at a very special promotional rate on the Marriott website of $95 per nite for a room with double bed. First when I called the hotel at the airport, it only took the lady 10 minutes to pick me up and it took less than 5 minutes to get to the hotel. When I arrived the hotel, the check-in was so fast (they got my name when I called for pickup) that I couldn’t even have a chance to tell them my request, it was all done in 1 minute!! But lucky enough that I had already made my request when I booked online, so I got what I want – a room facing the garden on the second floor.

The room was spacious and clean and everything looked very new too. The mattresses were a bit soft but still OK. The bathroom was very clean and everything worked fine. The room met the standard Marriott quality that won’t let you down. The free in-room internet was very slow but it was free, so you couldn’t ask for more when other hotels in this area normally charge you $20 a day. The only complaint would be the air-con, I tried to turn it off and get some fresh air with the balcony door opened for an inch, but the air-con kept turning on every hour throughout the night and it was very noisy. I asked the cleaning lady, but it seems that it couldn't be turned off.

The next morning when I asked the lady at the Front Desk for a ride to the San Bruno Bart Station (coz I have to pick up my rental car in SF downtown, the rental rate at the airport was 3 times higher), the lady was so nice that she just picked up the minivan key and gave me a ride in 2 minutes. There were also plenty of free parking spaces around the hotel, but try to ask for a room NOT facing the parking lot coz it was quite noisy. Another problem with this hotel was, they only have one elevator at the far end of the hotel, so if you have big bags, better ask for a room on the ground floor. On my check-out day, the elevator was not working so I had to carry all the bags to walk down the stairs after a long walk to the elevator.

The location of this hotel was perfect, close to a neighborhood shopping center - Tanforan (20 mins walk or 2 mins drive) with a food court inside or downtown Millbrae in 5 minutes drive with all kind of shops, supermarkets and restaurants nearby. Across the street from the hotel was a restaurants Chili’s, the food was good at very reasonable price, but always crowded with people, you have to wait for at least 20 minutes for a table. This hotel was also very close to the freeway and it’s about 15 minutes drive to downtown San Francisco, or 20 minutes to the Silicon Valley.

Overall it was a very pleasant stay at this hotel, all the staff was very friendly and helpful and the hotel was very clean and properly managed. I would definitely stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank cckc123
Reviewed November 4, 2010

We needed a room to stay for a last minute to attend a funeral for a family who died and we got the room very cheap. As you know everything must be budgetted due to recision and we were so glad we got a good deal. We needed to have a room to relax and a quiet moment so we can morn and glad we got the place. We ordered a food because we were hungry late night and it was wonderful. Thank you

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Read a bad review before arriving at this hotel so was wary about my stay. Before that, there was some good reviews, which made me decide to stay here. I'm glad to see my experience was a positive one. The main reason for staying here was that it was cheap, $123 a night, including tax. I really wanted to stay in the city, but all the hotels there were at least $200. That difference of $100 can allow me to spend it on other things. The hotel is within walking distance to the Bart station, although you can't have too much luggage. You need to cross a major highway (El Camino Real). Next to the Bart station is Tanforan, a nice mall with a food court. From Bart, you can get to downtown San Francisco in 30 mins, or just 1 stop from the airport and Millbrae (Caltrain). It's a nice hotel with a huge courtyard in the middle. Each room comes with a balcony and chairs. You also get free reliable Internet. For $123, it was a bargain.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Stayed here for our last night in CA. Typical Courtyard. No frills. No added extras but clean. Very unhappy when the fire alarm was supposedly pulled at 3am. No attempt to accommodate the guests. Very disappointed with how management handled this situation. They acted like an evacution at 3am was no big deal.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amancini
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel several times and every time there is something wrong.
First stay: prior guest smoked in bathroom, ashes still in the tub and the smelled like an ashtray.
Second stay: Iron never got hot and leaked all over clothes; Closet doors fell off; no fresh towels in the pool area
Third stay: brown stains on wall in bathroom (ewh); room on first floor next to exit and ice machine - LOUD
Fourth stay: Toilet kept flushing itself and the fire alarm went off at 3am causing evacuation - false alarm - no apologies.

That said, all of those are hopefully unique experiences. Here are the amenities that everyone should expect at this hotel:
- Big Rooms
- Nice beds
- Nice balconies/porch areas
- Pool with separate hot tub (very strong chlorine)
- Fitness room with three tread mills and some dumbbells
- No restaurant per se' - snack counter in lobby for breakfast / lunch snacks
- No room service
- Free internet and wifi - no speed records being set
- Nice seating area in courtyard with fire pit
- No In-Room checkout
- Great location near Bayhill Shopping center and a mall
- Off the beaten path (not on El Camino) with quiet setting
- Free parking

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jst4kix
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Large size rooms. Front desk was very efficient and helpful but not friendly. Pool and hot tub nice. Got the bed and breakfast package and food was great. Nice bedding. Close to take rental car back and shuttle to airport

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Bruno
Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Super 8 San Bruno /SF Intl Arpt West
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport WEST
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airp...
#3 of 28 in South San Francisco

Been to Courtyard San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!