“Unprofessional and Poorly Trained Staff”

Gateway Inn and Suites Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Reviewed November 27, 2011

I made reservations May 2011 and spoke with John regarding a Nov 2011 stay.. Our wish was to stay one night and take the shuttle the following morning to SF airport. However, our other intent was to locate a hotel/motel that would allow to park our car on the premises at no charge, while we were gone for one week. John advised this would not be a problem and was offered the Park and Fly package which included $79 room charge, free airport shuttle and complimentary parking for 7 days. This package is also noted on their website. I later booked another room for family members and was informed they would receive the same package. Lastly, a third family member booked their room online for a discounted AAA rate. To confirm the parking situation, they called the hotel and spoke to the desk clerk who advised the first 7 days would be complimentary but after that, each additional day would be $7 which was fine.
The first family member arrived at the hotel only to be told the room charge would be $109 and $14 per day parking.
Upon our arrival, the desk clerk, Esta (?) proceeded to tell us the room charge would also be $109 and $14 per day for parking.
The third family member arrived and advised them of the $14 per day parking. They did not qualify for the free parking because they made their reservation online. If that was the case, why didn’t the desk clerk informed them of this when they called and asked about the complimentary parking?
Esta was of no help at all, acted like a zombie with no concern to our situation. Customer Service is definitely not one of her fortes. She eventually contacted John. Of course John didn’t remember me and also did not recall the reservation. The night desk clerk, Eddy, arrived during this time and eventually contacted the owner, a woman, who ended up speaking with my husband. The woman went so far to ask my husband if she should fire the clerk who informed the third family member of the complimentary parking in error because they had booked online. Very unprofessional.
The end result was that our room was reduced to the $79 original agreed amount, along with the 2nd family member, and we both received complimentary parking for the 7 days. The third family member choose to stay the one night but decided to park elsewhere during their trip.
I wish to compliment Eddy as he was the only person who listened and was willing to work with us. He even looked at the website and confirmed the Park and Fly package to the owner which was comical as it appeared the owner may have commented that it needs to be changed.
We ultimately checked in about an hour and a half after our arrival because of the disorganization and misunderstanding on the part of the hotel owner and staff. I’m not looking for an apology and in reading past reviews, I would consider it an insult if the owner states this situation as an “isolated incident”. This hotel will never have our business again nor would I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lee51
There are newer reviews for Gateway Inn and Suites Hotel

Reviewed November 16, 2011

I arrived late in town; I had no reservation. The staff was very welcoming; my room was clean and they even had a phone charger that worked with my phone. I enjoyed the bath tub and slept like a rock. I'd only suggest one improvement; better breakfast selections. Thank you for such an enjoyable stay and if I'm in the area again, I would definately stay at this excellent hotel; this price was also very good!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2011

This hotel is clean and located in a safe area, with several places to eat and fairly close to the Caltrain station (maybe 6,7 blocks). We arrived at the hotel Friday after the complementary shuttle picked us up, no problem there....front desk clerk was very slow during the check in time, and showed no signs of interest in providing information about the area, he then informed us that a deposit of $50 was required for all the guest for incidentals, I asked him: is that a refundable deposit? while I was trying to read that in my check in form, he said: "it is obvious" I said: no it is not until I see it in black and white, there are different kinds of refunds some are refundable, some are not", this was our first time in San Francisco and we wanted to book an affordable hotel, as I mentioned before, for a good night sleep and then explore the city on your own, this place is great, clean and in a safe area, very quite, my friend and I felt like we were the only guests at the hotel, regarding the maids, we never saw one and we never requested one to clean our room. over all a nice, affordable place to stay but do not expect a first class attention, pampering.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Twice great: both the facility AND its builder/owner/operator. Delightful facility with full atrium shining through the 3rd floor mezanine to the 2nd floor lounging/reading/breakfast area. Superb craftsmanship, attention to detail and decorating.
PLUS your host, John, is extremely knowlegeable about San Francisco and the Peninsula area, and is delighted to guide you footsteps with maps, routes, advice and suggestions.
Fully equipped rooms, covered parking, friendliness, reasonable rates .... an excellent value, an enjoyable experience.
We're routing our next vacation (soon) so that we'll be visiting again. -Bill & Alice from the Oregon Coast.

Room Tip: Trust your host. We found all to be quiet and peaceful, tasteful.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Have had the opportunity to stay here several times over the past few years, the latest being this past Sunday. Very consistent service, pricing, cleanliness and shuttle.

You can't beat their combination. This is our go to hotel when in the bay area.

Recommend calling the hotel directly for better rates and asking for an email confirmation. It works!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank EmptyNesterHawaii
Reviewed October 12, 2011

By doing some quick homework searching for a hotel prior to out trip to San Fran I was shocked to find out the cost of most of the hotels in Fishermans Wharf and Union Square. Gateway Inn is reasonable for the price! The location is a four block walk to the CalTrain in San Bruno, which takes you down to King and 4th street for about $5.00 for a day pass (approx 20 min). From there we took a bus to get down to the wharf/union square/alcatraze etc.....for about $2.00. We opted not to rent a car, but it looks like there was free parking @ the hotel, which is rare to find in San Fran. The free shuttle to and from the airport was also a big bonus and because this hotel is in San Bruno the trip to the airport was very quick- approx 5 min or so. The rooms are big and have a microwave and fridge. The only disappointing part of the hotel was that there was no safe - I prefer to have my passport and personal belongings locked up when we aren't in the room - so we opted for no maid services, by putting the "Do not disturb" sign up. The breakfast is pretty basic, but for the price of the hotel you can't complain to much. There is also no pool @ the hotel, but we wouldn't have time to use it anyway - to busy exploring San Fran. We would probably stay here again if we were to return to the area.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Our confirmed, credit card backed reservations were canceled and we were left stranded by the Gateway Inn and Suites Hotel! After staying at this hotel the week before, I made telephone reservations to stay there again for our return trip to the SF Bay Area. After providing her with my credit card number, I took down the receptionist's name and the confirmation number, and she stated, "Since it is beyond the cancellation date, you cannot cancel this reservation and your credit card will be charged whether or not you occupy the room. If you are arriving after midnight, please call beforehand to make sure the door is unlocked." I assured her that my 13 year old son and I would arrive before midnight. When I called at 10:30pm to advise them I would be there within 10 minutes, a Mr. Angulo informed me that our reservations had been canceled because we had not answered their two attempts to call us on the phone. When I reached the property shortly thereafter, another person was asking the night clerk (not Mr. Angulo) about his reservation, which, it turned out, had been canceled also. Only after officer Fyfe of the San Bruno Police Department assisted me in convincing the night clerk that he should help locate a hotel of similar price and quality (incident report number 110814003) did the night clerk try in earnest to help. We ended up staying in a Comfort Inn in Castro Valley, 27 miles away, reaching there at 1:30am. Needless to say, I will be complaining to the Better Business Bureau and the AAA, which rates this hotel. Unfortunately, you can not trust this establishment to honor your reservations. I suggest don't make them. Stay away!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank longtimetraveler2011
JohnHira, Manager at Gateway Inn and Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2011

We apologize for the the inconvenience. Our policy is to honor all guaranteed reservations. However, this was an isolated incident. We hope that you will choose our hotel again when visiting the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Bruno
Hotel Aura San Bruno
#2 of 13 in San Bruno
Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport WEST

Been to Gateway Inn and Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!