“Not your parent's Mexican Restaurant ...”

Don Pico's Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 157 Restaurants in San Bruno
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Seattle
“Not your parent's Mexican Restaurant ...”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Sometimes it is very hard to find an authentic Mexican restaurants, and Don Pico's is an exception to that. Don Pico's menu either had items, or the way they prepare their food, that one just doesn't generally find at Americanized Mexican restaurants. Case in point, the pork carnitas here was well prepared and served correctly ... not douse in some kind sauce or boiled to death.

The service was friendly and the prices were very reasonable. I would have given the the fifth bullet it they served homemade tortillas.

• Visited March 2014

Northfield, Minnesota
“Lucky Find”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We found this restaurant only because we were staying at a nearby hotel and were simply looking for a place to get dinner. Boy, did we luck out! This is both a bar and a restaurant. We were not interested in alcohol, only food, and they took very good care of us. The staff was extremely attentive and pleasant. The food was wonderful, and the prices were very reasonable. The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed on the Friday early evening when we were there. There was very good live music in the next room, which was piped into ours.

We were passing through town, so, much to our regret, will not become regular customers of this restaurant. Those of you living in or near San Bruno should take full advantage of your proximity to this excellent establishment.

• Visited February 2014
San Bruno, California
“From great to meh”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I used to love this place, not sure I do anymore. Food is still good but service, menu are getting worse. I stopped for lunch seeing as they inaugurated their "lunch menu" but the choices where in fact only a few (mostly appetizers) and not marked on the menu. I had to ask the waiter twice to understand what was on it (which is kinda embarrassing because it made me feel like a cheapskate...).

The restaurant also needs somebody to take a hard look at what they do and fix their customer experience (if I go out with my girl and the guy playing guitar is too loud to talk, I'm not going to have fun).

It used to be great, now they need to decide if they care to be great anymore.

Visited January 2014
Tuscany
“great food and service”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

It was our first time ever in a Mexican restaurant. Perfect in every way: knowledgeable and kind employees, they explained us everything. Huge portions, good food, good price. We went back the night after!!

Visited January 2014
San Bruno, California
“Not too good”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I ate lunch there with a friend, who raved about it. I was not impressed. Their chips were not hand-made, and their sauce was not very good. Will not go back.

• Visited February 2013