“Perfect location! Great Hotel!!”

Hotel Aura San Bruno
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
NC, USA
“Perfect location! Great Hotel!!”
Reviewed February 22, 2011

You cannot find more bang for your buck than this hotel! Super location...literally 5 minutes from SFO...But in my entire stay there I only ever heard one plane! 10-12 minutes to downtown SF....This hotel cost me less than half of what anything closer would have but best of all...
Free Wi-FI
Free Parking (covered!)
Free Breakfast
If you have ever stayed in this area you know what a great deal this place was!!!
Service was fantastic and the room was very clean & very comfortable.....also had a half sized fridge and microwave!
Very quiet neighborhood and felt very safe to out anytime day or late night.
Highly recommend!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Hardb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore
Reviewed January 27, 2011

I booked this hotel because it was stated that there is a shuttle from SFO (as I had to catch a flight back home the next morning ). The website stated that the free shuttle runs every 30 mins.

I arrived at the domestic airport's hotel free shuttle bus stop at about 3pm, waited 30 mins, and the shuttle didnt turn up. There was a phone by the bus stop which I then saw and decided to call the code "1" as stated on the sheet of paper at the bus stop (note: the website and confirmation letter didnt state that we have to call to get the shuttle). The instruction sheet said to call Code No. 1. This line didnt have any one to pick up. It went on ringing and I called continuosly for 15 mins. Then my husband started asking a couple of other shuttles about our shuttle, obviously no one was interested as they were only tasked to bring their guests to their own hotels. On his 5th try, this shuttle driver was kind enough to offer to "walkie talkie" Howard Johnson's driver which was his friend. So my shuttle came in 15 mins. By now, its been past an hour.

I got to the front desk and told Rochelle about what I have been through in the last one hour. She replied non-apologetically,"Oh, the Code No. 1 has been changed to Code No. XX. We are in the midst of changing it." I told her the website did not specify if calling was neccessary and the Code No. to call. She replied to say that they havent got time to update the website.

Given, instituitions go through transition issues, but she didnt apologise. And when I went on to tell her this is not right she didnt even look me in the eye or respond to my question. She said "can I have your ID and credit card for check-in, pls". Service lapses can happen, but service recovery is as important.

I stayed at level three and there was a full and foul thrash bin in the middle of the corridor. I wonder why.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HazeSingapore
hojosanbruno, General Manager at Hotel Aura San Bruno, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Thanks for your comments on your recent stay at our Howard Johnson-San Bruno.We are very sorry if your experience at our hotel was less than satisfying.Our goal is to make your stay as comfortable as possible.We did have delay in shuttle service as you mentioned and we are very sorry for that.Recently we had change in the shuttle service from JNJ shuttle to CLASSIC SHUTTLE. In this transition our phone number at the hotel courtesy island was not changed by the airport authority.It still had our old number (01) from JNJ Shuttle.
Below is a general advisory to all the guests regarding the shuttle service:
We have free shuttle to and from the airport.The shuttle timings are from 4:00 AM until 12:30 AM. The shuttle runs every hour from 4:00 AM until 12:00 PM after 12:00 PM it is on call from the airport as well as from the hotel until 12:30 AM. For pick up from the airport you have to go to the departure level and look for the " Hotel Courtesy Shuttle" sign and wait at the island. Please dial 53 from the courtesy phone on the island. Once you call us we'll send the shuttle to pick you up.Look for the Classic Shuttle with the Howard Johnson-San Bruno logo on it.
Thanks for your comments again.We appreciate your feedback.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2011

This is a nice hotel. Very clean and spacious room & bathroom. Fridge/coffee machine/safety deposit box provided in the room. It's a 4 out of 5 from us! Free wifi and breakfast included (bagels, muffins, toast, cereal, boiled eggs, tea/coffee/juice, fruit). The only let down was there are not enough tables and other guests sat around talking after they've finished eating, meaning we had to eat our breakfast in our room.
Parking is located on two levels underneath the hotel. I believe they provide free shuttle to/from the airport.
There is a shopping malls near by (5 mins drive) which is pretty good, as well as BART station.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JDWatson
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed January 17, 2011

We stayed here for one night, arrivng from SJ around 10PM and leaving SFO on a 6AM flight. So we missed their breakfast, but caught the first complimentary shuttle. The room was large and quiet, the bed comfortable. Ideal for a stopover near the airport. If a stopover was needed again in SFO, this would be our place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Pinconning, Michigan
Reviewed November 16, 2010

I stayed at this hotel because it was close to the San Francisco Airport and because it was one of the less expensive options nearby. The hotel was very nice. It was clean and the front desk staff was very helpful. Parking was free, which was very nice. There was wireless internet, though it may have been rather weak. While it's nearby the airport, it's not too noisy. Overall, it was a very nice stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
GMHOJO, General Manager at Hotel Aura San Bruno, responded to this review, November 19, 2010
Thank you so much for your sincerely and thoughtful comments. I'm so glad that you had an enjoyable stay and that our hotel more than just suited your needs. In response to your comment about the wireless connectivity; an issue was found on the side of our T1 line provider and they have since rectified the matter. Thank you for alerting to this issue, we really rely on our guests to let us know when little problems like this arise so that we can take immediate steps to correct the matter.

I hope we have the chance to host you again if you ever find yourself out this way and in need of a hotel.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 10, 2010

My colleague unfortunately booked a hotel for my trip as she had the company credit card. Unbeknownst to her she was booking the hotel 80 miles away from where I was going to be working. So she called expedia and explained the situation. Expedia said we had to get the cancellation approved by the hotel manager. When I called the hotel manager he wouldn't cancel the reservation until I sent him a fax on company letter head saying why the hotel needed to be cancelled. I printed an itinerary for this trip but it wasn't enough. It had the wrong name on the letter. I explained that my colleague was supposed to go but she couldn't so I was going in her place. I explained and explained. It was unbelieveable the hoops I was having to jump through to try to get this hotel cancelled.
Jonathon the hotel manager refused to work with me and just continued to tell me he couldn't cancel that he didn't have enough proof. When I finally broke down and asked to him to just split the difference he said ok. OK?! You mean all this time you COULD cancel the reservation with over a weeks notice but chose not to??? Unbelieveable!!!!
DO NOT USE HOWARD JOHNSON. WHAT A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE THIS HAS BEEN!!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank HoJoSUCKS
Travelers please be advised that the guest writing this review did book a non-cancelable and non-refundable reservation.

When making reservations online through a third party reservation site like Expedia, it's important to read all of the terms and conditions at the time of booking and then make the conscious, intelligent decision to agree to those terms and conditions. If you make a mistake during the booking process, contact that third party provider immediately for assistance in correcting the error, not several days later as was the case in this matter. Also, if you book your reservation directly through the hotel you stand a much better chance of having a more flexible cancellation policy and you can also get a better price.

In this matter the guest booked a non-cancelable, non-refundable reservation for herself. When she realized her error in booking what she claimed was the wrong city, she contacted Expedia and then the hotel directly to get the reservation cancelled. When she contacted the hotel she claimed to be a supervisor, that the reservation was under the supervisor's name and that she would be working in Sacramento and not in San Francisco (there is a 92 mile difference between San Francisco and Sacramento, getting the two major cities confused is difficult to believe to say the least). She was asked for an itinerary or some sort of proof that she would not be working in the SF area so that the hotel would be better inclined to allow the cancellation. She submitted an itinerary with the name of the person she claimed to be but that did not match the name on the reservation. She was told that the hotel would need to be contacted by the person who's name appeared on the reservation. At this point she fumbled her story and uncovered herself as not being the supervisor she was claiming to be.

Moments later she again called the hotel, this time claiming to be the person who's name appeared on the reservation. She stated that she went through the previous pretense so as not to involve her supervisor in the attempt to correct her mistake and to keep herself out of trouble. She was again asked for some sort of proof that she would be working in Sacramento and she stated that there was no email or memo to this affect; she claimed that it was a verbal directive. It was at this time that she offered a compromise to stay for two nights if we would refund the other two. For the sake of ending the conversation with a now hysterical woman, I agreed to the compromise and we ended the call with her seeming to be satisfied.

Travelers, if you ever find yourself in a situation where for some reason you need to cancel a reservation that you booked as non-cancelable and non-refundable it's always best to be honest and upfront when contacting the third party provider and/or the hotel. Also, you would fare much better by booking your reservations directly with the hotel because it would afford you a much more lenient cancellation policy and usually you can get a better rate. But the moral to this story---in the above matter honesty would have been the best policy.
Merced, CA
Reviewed October 26, 2010

In S.F. we usually stay on Lombard but we are so tired of traffic noise all night so we went looking south of the city and were pleased with our find. The neighborhood is not spectacular and the parking garage is not very big nor can it be seen from the front desk(set your alarm) but it was blessedly quiet. Judging from the fire exit map, we had one of the smaller rooms but it was perfectly adequate for our family. From the map we could see that the rooms are in strange configurations so don't be surprised at a unique room shape. The beds were comfortable and the room clean but for some reason there were only towels for three people. The breakfast area is in an atrium area on the 2nd floor so ask for a room on the first or third floor (away from the center). It wasn't that the people were loud, it was the TV that was loud. We heard talking from the room next to us but they stopped at 10pm and we never heard another noise all night long. If I was staying in the city for more than one night, I would gladly make this my home away from home.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
#3 of 7 in Millbrae
Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Days Inn San Francisco International Airport West
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West

Been to Hotel Aura San Bruno? Share your experiences!