“Food a-plenty!”

Cuisines: Filipino
Pacifica, California
“Food a-plenty!”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Where would you take 16 people, from different US States gathered for a high school reunion, for lunch? The easy answer was Isla Restaurant on San Mateo Avenue in San Bruno. What's even easier was to order enough food for so many people. Our quick choice was their Sulit Bilao #4. Can't go wrong with this choice as it included soup for everyone, grilled seafood, grilled meat, salad, soda and dessert! Quantity, yes but quality did not suffer! Highly recommended!

• Visited July 2014

Winnipeg, Canada
“Pinoy Pride”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

My aunts took me to Isla and introduced me to the "bilao" meal where different dishes are all in, served with steamed rice. Our bilao (round, wooden plate) was filled with authentic Filipino favourites like daing na bangus (milkfish), hipon (shrimp), lumpia (spring rolls), egg, inihaw na baboy (grilled pork) etc etc.

Staff were very warm and attentive. This restaurant is highly-recommended.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Peggah
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Authentic and very delicious Filipino Food”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I have to say that I'm a bit surprised with the low number of reviews so far for Isla, because I had a really good experience with Filipino food here. Where I live in the midwest doesn't offer choices of Filipino restaurants so I made it a point to go to one on most of my San Francisco trips.

A friend of mine and I went to Isla for a Filipino ("Pinoy") breakfast. I ordered the "sisiglog" (Sauteed Spicy Grilled minced pork served with garlic fried rice, fried egg, and tomatoes). It was definitely a hearty Filipino breakfast for me. I also tasted some of the "tapa" (marinated sliced beef) from the "tapsilog" that my friend ordered, and it tasted like it was marinated really well and the meat was tender enough. We also shared an order of Pancit Bihon (Thin rice noodles with pork and shrimp sauce, sprinkled with fish flakes and quail eggs). The Pancit Bihon was how I remembered having it growing up in the Philippines - so very authentic!!

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone that is craving real Filipino Food. They have a great selection of different dishes, which represent different regions of the Philippines, as well as the typical dishes served in Filipino celebrations. The wait staff are also very friendly and do check up on you every now and then to make sure you are being served well. My 5 of 5 rating came easy for me on Isla Restaurant!

• Visited June 2014
RENO,NV
“Fantastic Filipino dishes in a "Bilao" woven tray!”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This is my first time to visit and eat in this restaurant with my family. If you love somewhat seafood or local dishes, try it. We selected the one in a woven tray which is good for six (6) persons. It got daing na bangus, fried daing, salmon, grilled mackerel, crispy pata, egg rolls, boiled eggs, grilled squids,freshly fried chicharon, grilled pork ribs, mango slices, tomatoes and unlimited rice. It also comes with a big bowl of misua soup, drinks and 2 desert. This is a big saving with delicious food.
They also have a parking space for their customers at the back of the building.

• Visited February 2014
San Francisco, California
“Pampanga dishes served on banana leaves”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Isla Restaurant, San Bruno, CA

Last night, our family ate at Isla Restaurant a Filipino restaurant specializing in Pampanga-style cooking. Isla Restaurant offers a novel concept to family-style dining. Isla offers 4 choices of "Sulit menus" ranging from $39.98 to $69.98. A "Sulit" menu includes grilled pork belly (inihaw na liempo), grilled squid (inihaw na pusit), pork langonisa, chicharon, lumpia, grilled mackerel, dating na bangus, prawn crackers, tomato-mango ensalada and unlimited steamed rice. Higher price range includes misua soup, crispy pata , drinks and choice of 2 deserts. The dishes are served in a flat round Philippine basket called "bilao" with a layer of banana leaves. Food is arranged sampler-style on the bilao and placed in the middle of the table. We had square wooden plates with a layer of banana leaves. We were a party of 5 adults and a 3 year old toddler and the portions in the Sulit #3 which included crispy pata were enough with a little leftover. For dessert we ordered the halo-halo, flan, and a scoop of ube ice cream for the toddler. Isla offers a limited selection of wine and beer (Heineken, Corona, San Miguel and Red Horse). The pork dishes were were cooked just right and the grilled squid was tender .
Isla also offers an a la carte menu although the grilled squid is not offered as an a la carte dish.
Street parking on San Mateo Avenue and rear of the building parking lot.
Isla: delicious Kapampangan food served on a "bilao" over "dahon ng saging."

• Visited October 2013