“Good value for budget conscious”

Regency Inn San Francisco Airport
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Virginia US
“Good value for budget conscious”
Reviewed October 11, 2011

On busy street, near airport, working class neighborhood. Family owned, hardly salubrious. Easy access from SFO nice people, rooms clean. Good for male who doesn't need frills or younger persons who are on a budget. Don't expect a spa.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Richmond, VA
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We booked this hotel through Expedia as we were arriving late at night and just wanted a inexpensive place close to the airport. What a mistake. Our plane was late getting in and by the time we finished with the rental car it was 1:30 am. When we arrived at the hotel, the rental office was closed and another couple were standing in front of it also wanting to check in. We rang the door bell and telephoned for 15 minutes as we'd already paid for the room. The other couple gave up and left. Finally an older woman came to the door and explained that we we're no shows since we hadn't arrived by midnight and we were not entitled to a refund. At this point we were considerably agitated given that the room was "guaranteed for late arrival". I threatened to call expedia and report her to which she replied go ahead. We walked back to our car where I was attempting to call expedia when the police arrived. He said that he had been called by the hotel and asked us what was going on. We explained what had happened and he advised us to leave the property or be charged with trespassing. So we left. I called expedia three times over the next 12 hours before I was finally able to secure a refund. The worst hotel experience of my life 47 year life.

Room Tip: Arrive early
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GoatBoy10

Travelers are raving about these San Bruno hotels

South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed July 26, 2011

There were bathtubs in the rooms but I no way to fill them. When I asked the front desk clerk for a plug I was told that it was their policy not to allow guest to get baths and that they don't hand out plugs. Ok, that's crazy!!!

Next, there was a 75 year old woman sitting outside in front of the office crying. When I asked her if she needed help I was told (by the older woman) that she was waiting to check in and that they wouldn't let her in her room because the room was in her husbands name. Now I know this is SF and you expect a certain amount of chaos and craziness but even if this woman was perhaps crazy (which I don't think she was) human kindness should have prompted the front desk people to let her sit inside and perhaps give her a glass of water.

I can honestly say that I will never stay at this hotel again nor can I ever recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed July 23, 2011

The hotel vas very close to both airport and shopping mall. Free parking and wifi.

We payed around $60 a room which is dirt cheap for any accomodation imo - but i'll much rather spend the extra buck and get something better.

The checkin was efficient and the staff kind. Bathroom and beds seemed fairly clean, while the rest of the room was lacking. Unfortunatly they allow smoking in the rooms - being a non-smoker it's horrible to sleep in "old smoke" smelling rooms.

Due to the location you'll hear a lot of planes through out the day, though few at night.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I went to visit my cousin but she did not have enough room for all of us so we booked a room for two nights. We wanted to be close to the airport and her... and not looking to spend a fortune, as we just wanted a clean and safe place to sleep. However, be warned! My cousin who lives in the area was "shocked" when we told her that the Regency Inn in that area had been recommended.

The website picture and reviews from Hotel.com are very deceptive. We called ahead an hour or so to reserve a room, but when we drove into the parking lot we saw a building across the street covered in graffiti, behind the hotel was a low income housing neighborhood, and in front was a terribly busy/noisy street. As my husband and I were pulling into the motel, a drunk driver was pulled over in the parking lot as well.

The area gave me the creeps and I did not feel safe. When asked, the manager and her husband said that this was completely safe and they did not have any incidences of break-ins or that there was any reason for us to feel unsafe and they would not refund the money. Little did I know that just several days before, according to a review on tripadvisor.com, a customer (3/14/11) experienced fighting outside her door where guns and bats were used, bottles being thrown at others in the parking lot, and police involved with weapons drawn. The manager did not have the courtesy to offer that lady an apology much less a refund... I realized after reading this that they lied to me to make themselves look good!

When I told the manager that we did not feel this was a safe neighborhood and that I could not stay there, they refused to let me out of the `reservation` regardless of the fact that it was made such a short time prior to showing up. I still had to pay for the night even though we went to another place to sleep. What crooks!

Give the other negative reviews some careful thought. I have seen reviews that call this place seedy and ghetto like... noting the crime and lack of friendliness and that it was suitable for prostitutes or drug dealers. I cannot say that is a fact, but I will admit that the staff and the location were a definite turn off for me. I don't mind budget motels, but this was not worth it!!!! Matter of fact, I do not recommend any motels on this side of town!!

I never read hotel reviews until I had this experience. I will from now on so that I am not surprised like this again.
Go over to Elcamino Real... in Burlingame, or in Millbrae there are plenty of other reasonably priced hotels/motels that are close to the airport without having to risk your safety.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank scwm
minneapolis
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Let me start by saying I was not at all looking for nice room when I booked this. I fully understood that I was getting a budget room which it was. That being said, on the third night of my stay, there was a party going on throughout the night in the rooms down the hall. I am a pretty sound sleeper, however when the fighting broke out and GUNS and BATS were being waved around right outside my door I thought that might have been too much even for the price I paid. when men were throwing glass bottles down the balcony at the guys they were fighting with (with cars as collateral damage) I thought it was time for the police to get involved, since apparently the staff were not going to do anything. The police came, guns drawn; men face down on the ground. It was all very entertaining; however I didn’t get any sleep.
But wait, here is the best part. One might think that when you go to check out the next day they would be very apologetic and try to make up for the less than stellar experience. If they had, I might not have written anything at all. Nope, since I had “prepaid” they said they would not refund anything and instead offered a discount on the next time I wanted to come back… aaah, right. And not a singe apology. San Fransisco- great
Regency Inn- not so great

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank jarsh_11
Orewa, New Zealand
Reviewed November 3, 2010

The husband/wife team were very helpful and approachable.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
#2 of 13 in San Bruno
Millwood Inn & Suites
Millwood Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Millbrae

Been to Regency Inn San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!