“A surprisingly good hotel!”

Ramada San Bruno SFO Airport
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
McLean, VA
“A surprisingly good hotel!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We weren't expecting too much -- Ramada is not a brand known for consistency. However, we were pleased and even charmed by this property in San Bruno. I don't understand the negative reviews here -- our experience was top. It has a very small lobby b/c the lower level is almost entirely taken with covered (!) parking. Our room was very large, comfortable bed, tub in the bathroom, outside window, working HD TV with HBO. The rooms surround many interior courtyards that give the place a nice bright feel -- so much better than a dingy hallway. The neighborhood is terrific -- many great ethnic restaurants on neighboring and delightful San Mateo Dr. .. and near normal suburban shopping on El Camino Real. Reliable airport shuttle, and a staff that went out of their way to take care of everything very professionally. Recommended!

Room Tip: Request an outside window .. apparently some rooms only have window on courtyard.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
West End
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I spent one night at this hotel. The rate was $150 a night so I thought it would be decent. I'm not the kind to complain and things usually work out wonderfully for me, so don't think I'm a cranky biased person. The hotel was in a run-down part of town. It was very outdated. I'm guessing ;ate 80's curtains and furniture in the common areas. Hall areas were not very clean. But the biggest complaint is that my room reeked of fabric detergent. You wouldn't think that is a bad thing but it was so strong that my eyes burned, my nose and throat burned and I got a headache. I asked to be moved and they said they were sold out. I asked if I could cancel since the room was unsatisfactory and they said they wouldn't refund me. Being that it was late in the evening by this time and that all other hotels left that night were around $300 I decided to tough it out. I opened the windows, turned the air-conditioner and bathroom vent on, and took any unneeded pillow or towel down to the front desk and went out for dinner. After a couple of hours it was bearable. But when I got in the bed I was surrounded by the gagging smells again. I woke up all night long from the sounds outside (had to keep windows open). And every time I took a deep breath it was like sticking my nose against a bar of soap. The best thing I can equate this too is a non smoker having to sleep in a smoking hotel room. It was terrible. The best part of the stay was the hotel shuttle ride to and from the airport.

I left too early for the breakfast. Room service was available only through outside restaurants. The hotel didn't offer any food other than breakfast

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

1 Thank 375Tiffany
Vallejo
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Room was bigger then what I needed. I just wanted a bed and sleep but I bellieve you were out...so got a very nice large room but also paid for it too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Bakersfield, California
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was skeptical about staying here after reading the reviews, but decided getting a hotel with better reviews down the road in Millbrae might have more airplane noise, so thought we'd chance it. The lobby is a bit weird and uninviting, and there was only one luggage cart (that we could find) to get luggage to the room. The place is older....doors hanging a bit funny, and an old paint job...and the key cards generally worked. I was skeptical about the cleanliness of the carpet, so made a point to always wear shoes. The bathroom was well lit and clean, granite vanity, and there was good water pressure, but the towels were of the Motel 6 variety. No mold or anything icky on the shower curtain or tub. The beds were comfortable, although the pillows were way too puffy and made of foam (I'm a feather pillow person), but the sheets were clean and we got a good nights sleep. When the windows were open, you could hear some airplanes overhead...but either the flight path changed late afternoon, or when we closed the window, all was quiet. There was a flat screen TV, but the remote was a bit quirky....sometimes it worked, sometimes not so good (you just had to get close to the screen and then select the channel or volume). We were on the second floor away from busy El Camino Real Road, and it was very quiet. We were there for 3 nights, and it was OK. I did see drink rings on the night stand between the beds when we checked in, so in my germ-riddance mode, I wiped down all flat surfaces and felt better after that. Wi-fi was spotty, but my computer geek husband has some sort of signal booster antenna he carries in the computer bag, so that device let us have great Wi-fi while there. I might stay there again if I had the need to be in the area again....it was a large room, and I didn't feel unsafe.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room away from the busy El Camino Real street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
#2 of 13 in San Bruno
Gateway Inn and Suites Hotel
Days Inn San Francisco International Airport West
Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Been to Ramada San Bruno SFO Airport? Share your experiences!